Quick Review: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Fleet 2FL and 2013 LTZ

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Review: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Fleet 2FL and 2013 LTZ

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,375 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quick Review: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Fleet 2FL and 2013 LTZ

A few weeks ago, I was in Tampa for some job-related stuff. Reserved a full size sedan from Enterprise, was hoping for a Charger, but ended up with an Impala instead.

Exterior is really nothing to write home about. Same Impala we've known and loved (kinda...) since 2006, with some minor tweaks (AKA GM found leftover Impala SS bits lying around and tacked them on).

Interior, again, nothing special. Functional, not terribly stylish, and materials were so-so. But seats were surprisingly comfortable and supportive despite the seat material, which I found odd. Also had the flip and fold rear seat, which I didn't need, but was still a nice feature. Plenty of storage in the center console as well.

Performance wise, I was pleasantly surprised. Had the 300 HP LFX V6 under the hood and 6 speed automatic transmission. For a pretty outdated car, the newer powertrain actually made it somewhat fun to drive, especially with Florida's 70 MPH limits (compared to Ohio's stupid 65). I saw an average combined fuel economy around 25-26 MPG, and easily achieved over 30 MPG cruising on the highways.

Some pictures...

In conclusion, it's still a fairly decent car, despite its age. If you're looking for something dependable, roomy, and efficient as a daily driver and don't need or want all the toys and gizmos in newer cars, Impala isn't a bad choice, especially considering how much cash is on the hood of them right now. That being said, the 2014 model can't come soon enough.

Oh, and one more thing: In a test I believe should become a new industry-wide standard, I discovered the Impala jumps curbs very, very well. Just had to throw that in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Quick Review: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Fleet 2FL

As a no-frills driver, the Impala equipped with the 3.6 is a great buy. It is comfortable for longer drives. It's not sporty, stylish, and doesn't have the widest range of options available. But it is hard to beat if you want a larger car for a relatively low price as an everyday driver...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,132 Times in 4,375 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Thanks for the brief, Fenwick. One question: why are you holding back on that smokin burnout photo next to the 1-gallon bleach bottle?

Oh, and one more thing: In a test I believe should become a new industry-wide standard, I discovered the Impala jumps curbs very, very well.

It's that copper ride heritage. Chebby will call this the Impala Copper Heritage when the 2014 hits the dealers. IMO it's a good solid vehicle and value. The first-year depreciation crash approaching 50% makes it an excellent lightly-used value.

Dual zone (LT & LTZ), flip-n-fold, a 3-body trunk, and a modern V6/6A drivetrain--after a LOOOONG wait--available used for 14-18 grand, is not a bad deal.

On the down side, the boyz at MT, CD, R&T, CR, and even some GMI alumni will not respect you the next morning if you show up in an Impala.
    But who cares?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Pretty sure I could pick up a brand new Impala LT for around $19k right now with incentives and employee pricing. Seriously considered it for my parents, but they wanted a Terrain.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

Thanks

HA! I'm so glad you put it when you jumped that curb after the auto show. But you failed to mention the constant launching you did.

It was really fun hanging out with you. Let me know when you plan to come down again!

Thanks
    My Ride

Okay, yes, I may have decided to have fun with the LFX and traction control off a few times.

Once right in front of Tampa PD.

It was fun hanging out with you too.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

Thanks

I rented one like this, but before the 3.6 was put in them, good car, a little plain, but a great speeding car, not only do many people think its a cop car, even more when its white or black, but its almost as invisible as a cloaked Bird of Prey.

Thanks
    My Ride

I'm actually planning on picking up a used 2012 or 2013 model in a few years for that very reason.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Pretty sure I could pick up a brand new Impala LT for around $19k right now with incentives and employee pricing. Seriously considered it for my parents, but they wanted a Terrain.
    Best I can find in my area is 22 grand. New 2012 LT with two cancelling options: Wing delete and bench add.
    Who do you know?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

My dad, who's a GM retiree.

We can get the Impala you want for $18,921, which is employee only pricing unfortunately. With Supplier Pricing you could get it for $22,421.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Thanks for the brief, Fenwick. One question: why are you holding back on that smokin burnout photo next to the 1-gallon bleach bottle?

Oh, and one more thing: In a test I believe should become a new industry-wide standard, I discovered the Impala jumps curbs very, very well.

It's that copper ride heritage. Chebby will call this the Impala Copper Heritage when the 2014 hits the dealers. IMO it's a good solid vehicle and value. The first-year depreciation crash approaching 50% makes it an excellent lightly-used value.

Dual zone (LT & LTZ), flip-n-fold, a 3-body trunk, and a modern V6/6A drivetrain--after a LOOOONG wait--available used for 14-18 grand, is not a bad deal.

On the down side, the boyz at MT, CD, R&T, CR, and even some GMI alumni will not respect you the next morning if you show up in an Impala.
    But who cares?
    I remember reading an article about the Impala around 2000-2001 where they said that the suspension was built to withstand curb hopping. I thought that was pretty cool and put that into the "thumbs up" column when I was in the market for a new car at that time. I did end up with an Impala, but the curb hopping ability didn't factor in to my purchase!
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    I remember reading an article about the Impala around 2000-2001 where they said that the suspension was built to withstand curb hopping. I thought that was pretty cool and put that into the "thumbs up" column when I was in the market for a new car at that time. I did end up with an Impala, but the curb hopping ability didn't factor in to my purchase!
    Try it, you'll like it.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    My dad, who's a GM retiree.

We can get the Impala you want for $18,921, which is employee only pricing unfortunately. With Supplier Pricing you could get it for $22,421.
    Are you my long-lost bruvver?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

That LFX looks very strange in the engine bay of a W-body....it looks huge.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

I rented one of these a few years back with the 3500 and it was surprisingly competent. Decent room, acceptable performance, good fuel economy. Based on reviews, I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I actually toyed with the idea of picking up a used one before we gave in and got the minivan.

A few hears later we got a Taurus rental that was the opposite experience: I expected to quite like it and was very under-whelmed.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information