Optima EX & Elantra VE

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Optima EX & Elantra VE

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,128 Times in 4,372 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Optima EX & Elantra VE

I had some issues with sales guys at the local Steve "I wanna see ya in a KIA!" Taylor emporium.
    AND with the sales dood at the next door Hyundai dealer. A bunch of Cro-Magnons!

Nonetheless I bit the bullet and went by the H dealer first. A young studmuffin--well, mostly muffin, I'd say--came out to hlep me.

I asked him about the Turbo Sonata (Eco) and Turbo Elantra (Eco...see a trend here?) models, if they will ever see any, and what their differences are. As someone once said, never ask a defendant--or a car salesman--a question you don't know the answer to.

This kid was about as well-versed as those Professionally Perky Girlies that so many dealer chains now employ to bother their customers by telefon in order to "assist" us poor mopes in our frantic search for The Perfect Caah.

After some confused generalities that confirmed his knowledge base was Near Zero, he wandered back inside. There was a nip in the air. And question marks in those little bubbles over my head.

A KIA sales guy named Dante--no, I never asked him "how's the Inferno, dood?"--who I'd dealt with before but who made me such a ridiculous offer regarding my Chally that I looked for another salesdip dood later in the process, wandered past.
    Anyway, Dante was hoofing it over to the H dealer for some reason. Probably to spy and scout talent.

He said hi, we talked, he said oh by the way, I'm a manager now. I congratulated him, not asking if it was because suggesting a customer assume $9000 in additional debt on an $18,000 car loan in order to make up for a laughably-low offer went over big with management.

Yes, I know, he was told to make that offer. Still...

I window-shopped for a few more minutes, then departed and drove 100 yards next door to the KIA dealer.
    I again ran into Dante. I think he's following me. He policed up a sales guy who actually turned out to be pretty sharp. I told him what I wanted to do. He grabbed their Optima EX demo car (w/ $395 white paint job, go figure) and I was OFF!

I drove a Sonata Eco a couple of days ago and don't recall having such a picky time getting the seat right. It took many minutes of fiddling and it never felt just so. But good enough for government work. Then I had to decipher the MPG/TPMS/digital speedo/etc. center front display, THEN I had to scrub that GD racket that apparently all car salesmen find on the FM dial to irritate their customers, and tuned in WJR. THEN I lit off.

Per our earlier discussion over at the CRUZ thread, this car has lots of little extras. Sunglasses holder, EVERY H/K has one. Even the $15,000 Rio stick with roll-up windows.

The power seat slides back when you turn the car off.

Every H or K I've been in has, at least, mirrors in the visors. Most have lighted mirrors in the sliding visors.
    And there's a sliding lid down in the console that covers the two 12V plugs and the phone plug. Back in steerage there are HVAC vents (just like my '96 Concorde!) for the terrified passengers, and another 12V plug and another phone plug. Cool. STUFF.

Three-speed heated seats.
    The Civic and AcuILX had one freakin 12V plug. What, do those things cost like fitty buxx or something? Lighten up, Honduh!

The leather seats had pockets in back of the front seats. For stuff. The headrests are soft and have some give. What I dislike and my wife hates are those bend-your-neck-forward "headrests" that force you into Hunchback of Notre Dame posture. Why?

Though this was the Mere Mortal Model with the relatively ancient 2.4 Theta mill claiming 185 HP with a 6A, it's smooth, torkie, and strong, pulling from 1200 RPM. CandD claims 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. BTW, thanks a million Car and Driver, your test data are invaluable and add a lot to us aspiring CD staffers' write-ups!

Oh yes, every H/K I've been in has a drive "mode" switch that programs the power/trannie to some degree. ECO, POWER, and NORMAL though the last doesn't show up in the instruments. This Optima pulls well in ECO, and in POWER I had no issues yanking up to 80 or so to merge in rush hour traffic on 23 Norff.
    The ODOT's new Central Avenue Magic Maze has not improved the merge experience going norff. Whatever. My boot knows where the floorboard is.

So we got merged, we get 70 MPH @ 2000 RPM for a nice relaxed cruise. I got back onto surface streets, after avoiding some common incompetence and general bad driving among phonepersons, and stopped to sort out the MPG gizmo again.

I reset it and did some 'hood cruising and two or three WFO ops that kept me within legal limits. Sort of. That's good, TPD had a camocruiser sitting by the side on Central looking for ne'er-do-wells and of course I do not fit into that category.

The brake pedal is firm. The car corners flat. It soaks up the bumps with a smooth but not soft ride. Controlled. Modern. Not your '71 Electra. My little cruise netted me a "28.5" on the MPG meter. Not bad for city driving and some floorboard activities. Fuel capacity is 18.5 gallons.

I don't know about GM, I know you just pull forward to fold the back seats in my Challenger. Seems cheap and non-secure. Optima has a little pull-latch in the trunk. I don't think this one had the proximity-trunk release. The next car did.

Overall: Quiet, quick, smooth, corners flat, firm brakes, good power, comfortable, good sight lines in the mirrors. Priced at about $25,000 I think. What's to not like?

ENGINE TYPE:
    DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

Displacement:
    144 cu in, 2359 cc
    Power: 185 hp @ 6000 rpm
    Torque: 178 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

TRANSMISSION:
    6-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:

Wheelbase: 110.4 in
    Length: 191.1 in
    Width: 73.2 in Height: 57.7 in
    Passenger volume: 105 cu ft
    Cargo volume: 16 cu ft
    Curb weight: 3399 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 7.5 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 20.4 sec
    Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.7 sec
    Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.9 sec
    Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.1 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 15.9 sec @ 90 mph
    Top speed (C/D est): 135 mph
    Braking, 70-0 mph: 179 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g

FUEL ECONOMY:

EPA city/highway driving: 24/35 mpg
    C/D observed: 25 mpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

ELANTRA VE, or as I like to call it the Victory in Europe Edition.

I sat right IN and was immediately in a good position. This car also has the power seat, but it took just a fiddle here and a faddle there to get comfy. Mirror adjust. Hey, a compass! Me like. Auto dimmer too. Those vary by maker, some are good, some are dumb.

This has a hand brake, the Optima--as is Required of Big Boy Cars apparently--has a foot parking brake.
    The seat belt female side has easier access. A small matter (since I routinely use extenders now), but so many makers bury the receiver side way down deep in the seat, I do appreciate ease of access. How much does that 3" of belt save them?

The Optima rides more luxuriously. Smoother. It has more power.

This has a blind spot telltale. Cool. Also rear cross-traffic squawker and some sort of lane-keep warning. Thank You Lord! And a spare tire. Wow.

Heated seats, three settings. Dual zone. Sliding cover in console that again hides the two 12V and phone jacks. In back there is no vent and no 12V plug. And no center fold-down armrest. I don't ride back there much, like ever, so those items carry less weight than incidentals like a sunglasses holder. The little things.

Also the 3-mode ECO/POWER/NORMAL setting, but unlike the Optima button that's down in shoulder-twist region of the console, this button is down in front where it should be.

So I cruise around the local depressed neighborhoods for a few to warm the drivetrain, then I access Central-to-23 again and call for All Coal Ahead! from the engine room. This car is reasonably quick, it's smooth and quiet and given it's basically the same powertrain as my Soul, much quieter and smoother. The mandatory downshifts while slowing aren't nearly as jerky. WHY do they do that, anyway? Are trannies cheaper than brakes? News to me.

Two thousand RPM nets about 62 MPH here, not quite as E-Z a kroozer as the Optima but plenty easy. IIRC CandD says this car will do 122 before the governator stops you.

After adjusting the MPG meter in the same place as I did the Optima, my little excursion showed "35.1" MPG. Fuel capacity is 14.0 gallons. Curb-to-curb turning diameter is 34.8'. Car has rear drum brakes.

Heated seats. NICE! Easy fit. Nice. Five grand less. Nice.

Again, smooth, quiet, firm brake with good speed-snubbing, this is a lighter, more agile, less-weighty version of the Optima. That's what it feels like. The trade-off.
    Made in Ala-BAMMY. The optima is made in GEORGIA. No, the Georgia that has Atlanta, not Russians.

Attention to detail. The little things that add up. As much as I love the Civic and its little camera on the RH mirror that shows a display with the turn signal, AND it's uber-modern powertrain, it has too many negatives. Too low. No plugs. No sunglasses. No this, no that. So call me spoiled. THEY did it to me, I am blameless!

ENGINE TYPE:
    DOHC 16-valve Atkinson-cycle inline-4, aluminum block and head, port fuel injection

Displacement:
    122 cu in, 1999 cc
    Power: 147 hp @ 6200 rpm
    Torque: 132 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm

TRANSMISSION:
    6-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:

Wheelbase: 106.3 in
    Length: 179.9 in
    Width: 70.9 in Height: 56.5 in
    Passenger volume: 96 cu ft
    Cargo volume: 14 cu ft
    Curb weight: 2967 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 8.5 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 23.0 sec
    Zero to 110 mph: 29.7 sec
    Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 8.8 sec
    Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.1 sec
    Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.8 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 16.6 sec @ 87 mph
    Top speed (governor limited): 122 mph
    Braking, 70-0 mph: 166 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g

FUEL ECONOMY:

EPA city/highway driving: 28/37 mpg
    C/D observed: 31 mpg

TEST NOTES:
    A sewing machine if ever there were one, but that's a good thing in this class. It turns in decent braking and skidpad performances with no drama.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-19-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

orville (01-19-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    plane

Re: Optima EX & Elantra VE

Your post is really long.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,128 Times in 4,372 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Optima EX & Elantra VE

Quote Originally Posted by orville View Post
    Your post is really long.
    That's what my old girlfriends were always saying.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information