New car! 2007 Focus wagon

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: New car! 2007 Focus wagon

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

New car! 2007 Focus wagon

I wasn't planning to buy a car today. I frequently procrastinate by skimming Craigslist and I'd just bought new tires for my 01 Focus.

But an 07 Focus wagon (the last year they made them, and only through part of the year at that) with a stick (hard to find of any year) for $7k popped up on my screen. Clean Carfax, totally clean interior, one owner, Ford dealer (traded in there on an Escape, they said).

And that was that.

Biggest complaint: the aftermarket hubcaps, which were not on the car pictured in the ad. (I guess they sold them off in favor of the cheapos.) But they did promise in writing to give me a cargo cover and clean up a couple of scratches, even if they wouldn't give back the hupcaps.

But it's otherwise got the strengths and weaknesses I knew of going in. Even with its tons of space, there's great handling and a smooth ride, and everything feels as tight as it should (unlike my old 01, which loosened up considerably over the years). The interior is nothing fancy by 2007 standards, but it's fine for me and nothing is broken.

Here's to many fine years ahead.

Now I just need to sell the 01, which the dealer offered $700 for. (ZX3 Premium, 107k, lots of scratches / minor interior issues, but runs strong)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 Fiesta ST Ingot Silver

Re: New car! 2007 Focus wagon

Nice! Best wises with your "new" Focus!

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Congrats Brady! It looks very nice...too bad it doesn't have a tach. As for the old one, you should have no problem getting a reasonable offer for your ZX3.

I'll go on the record as being a big fan of Focus wagons. I do a lot of work in contract archaeology, and one of my former co-workers had a Focus Wagon, believe it was an '02 SE. Well one day he not only drove us out on site in his small but comfortable wagon, but we had to move some equipment around so we folded down the seats and I kid you not, this tiny little wagon easily swallowed a half-dozen screens, ten shovels, several boxes of gear, and there was still room remaining. I was very impressed. A lot of my other co-workers tend to drive small SUV's; Libertys in particular are well-esteemed in the profession, but most of the small SUV's I've seen don't have nearly as much interior space as the humble little Focus.

As much as I love my Volvo I wish in hindsight that I had held out for a wagon. It's not as if Volvo wagons are hard to find. But if the Volvo ever dies I probably will buy a wagon. Who knows, it might just be a Focus!
    Last edited by tbirderic; 11-06-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Congrats. Will be looking hard at the new Focus hatchback for a future commuter car.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice one for getting a manual. I thought it was cool that back then there was a Focus sedan, wagon, 3 door, and 5 door, plus the SVT 3 door.

How do you like the '07 interior from the '01?

I'm not familiar with it but the parts counter lady at Advance had a Focus wagon with some weird rear suspension issues...are those widespread?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Nice one for getting a manual. I thought it was cool that back then there was a Focus sedan, wagon, 3 door, and 5 door, plus the SVT 3 door.
    And an SVT 5-door.

How do you like the '07 interior from the '01?
    The graining they chose on the 05-07's plastic was never attractive and the design is pedestrian. But I'd have to spend more than this to put a huge priority on the interior. At this price point, the key upgrade is from all the things that are broken.

I'm not familiar with it but the parts counter lady at Advance had a Focus wagon with some weird rear suspension issues...are those widespread?
    Hope not.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Just priced the car out on AOL Autos, btw, which seems to be one of the few sites that lets you do that for an older car.

The previous owner had chosen the $225 Convenience Group (tilt/telescoping wheel, cruise control) and the $350 Safety Package (ABS, side airbags) but not the $475 SE Sport Group (alloy wheels, fog lights, leather-wrapped wheel, tachometer). Total MSRP: $17,365.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

My bad, I didn't realize there was an SVT 5 door
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Why don't you just mount the mags off the ZX3, nicer than the crappy original hubcaps anyway!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thanks

Congrats brady, looks like it has a lot of the good basics and a good price. Maybe I missed it, how many miles? Are you going to try and find Ford/Focus-specific hubcaps or just some kind of alloys, or just leave it?

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    Why don't you just mount the mags off the ZX3, nicer than the crappy original hubcaps anyway!
    brady says a lot of things are broken on the ZX3 so the alloys are probably a selling point

Plus it might depend on what Ford changed on them over the years and speedometer/odometer calculations since it's probably 15" wheels on the wagon
    vs. 16" wheels on the ZX3.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information