My review: Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: My review: Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

My review: Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

The Mitsubishi Outlander Sport makes a bold first impression. This compact SUV's tall, boxy front end is in-your-face aggressive and so is its $18,495 base price.

The good news doesn't stop there. The Outlander Sport also packs plenty of passenger space into an unusually tidy footprint, is rated for a best-in-class 27 miles per gallon in mixed driving, offers Mitsubishi's long warranty, and handles more nimbly than many competitors.

But then the good news begins to peter out...
    Continued at link:
    http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-nati...ander-sport-se

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

Re: My review: Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

This, the Lancer, and the IMiev are supposed to make up the total Mitsu portfolio in the coming years. This is supposed to a really great CUV, and the only competitive car that they sell. Mitsubishi is pretty dead in Japan as well, at least the auto division.

Good review.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Thanks, This one i am considering against Orlando . I did a test drive and i walked out with a feel good because

Its correct size for a daily commute CUV
    its looking good
    AWC
    10 years warranty
    Pricing
    paddle shifters

THe stuff didnt like was the

plastic front side body panel - the salesman was saying me its advanced steel, i waled out because if i buy from him, it will be shame for me.

Still its active in my radar but i want my next car to be a hybrid or a phev.

yesterday i saw kia rhondo on 3 day sale for 16k. Now waiting for orlando :-)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Strangely competitive for Mitsubishi.
    My blog: Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw a couple at the dealership and they are definately a looker. By far the best looking compact SUV in my opinion. I really like the added bodywork you get in upgraded SE version as its not cheap looking addons (a la Toyota) but fits well into the grand scheme of its design.

I didn't sit inside one but looking through the window the interior seemed on par and overal design was similar to that of the current Lancer but had added soft touch padding on the passenger side dash. Most Mitsubishi interiors are very clean and simple looking and straight forward and this is no exception. Although the navigation is cheap feeling and looking (almost aftermarket cookie cutter fitment) it does fair well in overal consumer ease of use(near the top).

Brady, with the introduction of the Fuse Link handsfree system this year along almost all the cars in their lineup (and included in even the base Outlander Sport) I'm suprised you didn't really touch base on it. Especially since you have probably used the Sync system to compare and contrast - the likes and dislikes. As for seats it seems like Mitsu usually makes different seats for each model as there are 4 different seats to be had in the Lancer. Maybe they are using the base ones and will upgrade next year? Strange to hear about the pillar trim coming off. Never had one issue in my GTS lancer interior with fitment but then again that design is a coupe years older (although I do here some minor rattleing in my EVO)

I do agree about the 2.0 engine sounding anemic but not necisarily feeling it. I think that they need to add a range topping GTS version based off the Lancer GTS and include the 2.4 Mivec with 168 and offer leather interior.(But to their defense they do offer biXenons which is probably class exclusive). Or maybe even spring a Ralliart model and give it 220hp AWD then again that would be a pipe dream when looking at Mitu's future goals.

The AWD system seems very similar to what is in the new Ford Explorer using a knob located in the centre consol.

Last edited by SonicAerio; 06-15-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Nice review, as per usual Brady. It's good to see Mitsubishi producing at least one competitive vehicle.

Slightly off topic, but I rented an '11 Endeavor last week and absolutely hated it. I really wanted a compact or mid-size sedan, but it was midnight at the airport in Jackson MS, so it was either the Endeavor or a Tahoe LT. Anyway, I hated just about everything about the Endeavor. It was big and thirsty, returning only 15 mpg under my light foot. The 3.8 SOHC V-6 was neither powerful nor particularly refined; it was just there, sucking gas at a rather prodigious rate. In addition, despite being a rather large CUV, noticeably absent was the usual assortment of cubbys and storage compartments that we've become accustomed to accept as standard in CUV's. After driving it for two days, I was left with the overall impression that Mitsubishi's designers didn't even bother, a criticism that has also been leveled at the Galant and the last few Eclipses. I couldn't imagine why anyone would possibly buy an Endeavor over a Highlander or a Pilot. Judging by the Endeavor's sales numbers, (even when new), I'd say most prospective buyers agreed with my assessment.

I really couldn't wait to get rid of this car. Sadly, the last night I had it, I backed it into a parked BMW, and so it will be some time before I'm able to successfully purge any lingering memories of this lackluster pile of CUV.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information