My review: 2013 Acura RDX

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My review: 2013 Acura RDX

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

My review: 2013 Acura RDX

All in all, there's little to fault in the redesigned 2013 Acura RDX. It matches the feel of pricier European competitors while offering simpler day-to-day ease of use and comfortably undercutting their price tags. A few competitors have more total cargo space or a cushier ride, but the RDX is a clear leader among five-seat premium SUVs.
    Full review at link:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/review-2013-acura-rdx

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Re: My review: 2013 Acura RDX

Except that it looks like an Acura inside and out. NO thanks.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Acura has decided to comprehensively ignore what made it unique in their haste to chase volume, while this will work in the short term I am not sure it is a viable long term solution. The elimination of SH AWD and the anonymous styling mean that they will move more volume but only due to their pricing more than their desirability.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I find the new RDX a dramatic improvement over the old one.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 2,582 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I still very much dislike the spoon like bulge on the hood and the turtle beak. It does nothing for the look of the car.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

It's probably a better effort as a whole, but the 07-09 was better looking outside to me and the SH-AWD of the first generation will be sorely missed. It's class competitive but I'm not a big fan of this class anyway. I'd buy a Durango or Explorer, etc, for this price.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

For me the two most compelling alternatives in this class are the X3, and XC60 R Design.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Beautiful new vehicle. Maybe not over the top style wise, but clean, elegant, and a huge improvement over the previous buzzy boy racer RDX. SH-AWD? Sure, excellent system. But for real RDX buyers, not a big deal. The huge increase in fuel economy, in one part due to the less drag from getting rid of it is more helpful here, as is the luxury ride and handling.

Yes, a lot loved the turbo 4 buzz & surge, and tight/bumpy zoom feel, but real buyers aren't magazine writers. Driving the new 2013 back to back is a revelation. It's better than the MDX in a lot of ways too.

We've sold every one we've gotten in, and as inventory normalizes and lease programs start, the RDX is going to have a much wider market. Feels worth the price.

Few of my own photos:

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The problem I have always had with the Acura SUV lineup is a Civic/ CRV based RDX and the Odyssey/ Pilot based MDX. The other problem I have had is no class leading power train options as well. It will sell very well because it will be compelling to far more people.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I had some bad thoughts today when I got behind a blue one. I wonder, have you ever driven a Terrain? If so, how would you compare the two? Just curious.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    The problem I have always had with the Acura SUV lineup is a Civic/ CRV based RDX and the Odyssey/ Pilot based MDX. The other problem I have had is no class leading power train options as well. It will sell very well because it will be compelling to far more people.
    Yet they are one company where despite platform bits being shared, the Honda vs. Acura are polar opposite vehicles in look, drive, size even, powertrains, etc. Only about once per year do I have any client say the words Pilot and MDX in the same sentence, and about twice hear CR-V then RDX, usually after someone has initially checked out a CR-V but then dislike the lack of refinement, power, and style.

Not outlandish styling, and they definitely lack in regards to marketing, but great vehicles.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    I had some bad thoughts today when I got behind a blue one. I wonder, have you ever driven a Terrain? If so, how would you compare the two? Just curious.
    Interesting comparison. My mother drives a Terrain SLT-1 AWD V6. The RDX is a more premium vehicle, with higher quality interior, stronger, smoother and more efficient powertrain and driving "feel". I would actually say the Terrain style inside is more eye catching depending on your personal preferences. With the new 3.6L coming, power may be closer to the Honda 3.5L/6-spd. Yet, I don't see them being compared. RDX buyers cross shop X3 primarily, followed by Audi Q5 and then Volvo, etc.

The smaller/mid crossover market is bigger and bigger, and spans a huge price range.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    The RDX has a better-built interior, much better handling, and -- probably even after the 3.6-liter makes its way into the Terrain -- better performance and fuel economy. The Terrain is roomier, smoother-riding and less expensive. They're two pretty different vehicles.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser View Post
    Yet they are one company where despite platform bits being shared, the Honda vs. Acura are polar opposite vehicles in look, drive, size even, powertrains, etc. Only about once per year do I have any client say the words Pilot and MDX in the same sentence, and about twice hear CR-V then RDX, usually after someone has initially checked out a CR-V but then dislike the lack of refinement, power, and style.

Not outlandish styling, and they definitely lack in regards to marketing, but great vehicles.
    I agree. Honda does a ton of platform sharing but they tend to do it well. The old RDX looked, felt, and drove nothing like a CR-V. The new one seems to be largely the same. The TL is similar with a different personality, the RL as well,, MDX/ZDX, etc.

I just wish Acura would make a nice jump in regards to technology and some powertrain offerings. The last several years most of their cars are just too "safely" packaged to the buyer.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser View Post
    Interesting comparison. My mother drives a Terrain SLT-1 AWD V6. The RDX is a more premium vehicle, with higher quality interior, stronger, smoother and more efficient powertrain and driving "feel". I would actually say the Terrain style inside is more eye catching depending on your personal preferences. With the new 3.6L coming, power may be closer to the Honda 3.5L/6-spd. Yet, I don't see them being compared. RDX buyers cross shop X3 primarily, followed by Audi Q5 and then Volvo, etc.

The smaller/mid crossover market is bigger and bigger, and spans a huge price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    The RDX has a better-built interior, much better handling, and -- probably even after the 3.6-liter makes its way into the Terrain -- better performance and fuel economy. The Terrain is roomier, smoother-riding and less expensive. They're two pretty different vehicles.
    That's what I was hoping to hear. I came very close to buying a Terrain when they first came out, then later I tried to talk my mother into one, then I had a loaner to evaluate. I'll spare you my thoughts, other than I found the Terrain's ride to be pretty harsh , but I am glad to hear they're very different!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information