My review: 2012 Mazda5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: My review: 2012 Mazda5

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

My review: 2012 Mazda5

Listen in on self-described auto enthusiasts discussing any of today's family vehicles, and you'll hear a number of recurring complaints – among them, a wish for more compact dimensions and more manual transmissions.

That the Mazda5 offers both is nothing new...
    Continued at link:
    http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-nat...2-mazda5-sport

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: My review: 2012 Mazda5

Return of the MPV?
    Current:
    2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7 Reserve AWD

Former:
    2002 Ford Explorer Xlt V8 4x4
    2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD
    2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4
    2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
    2011 Chevy Cruze LT
    2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    2016 Lincoln MKZ AWD

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by alex725 View Post
    Return of the MPV?
    Much smaller. It's an economy car with sliding doors, just like the first generation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

It's actually a cool little people hauler that could easily be used for daily driving without feeling like you are driving way to much vehicle for one person.

It's a shame that front-end kinda kills the sporty looks of the last generation.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,171 Times in 4,398 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

This is a neat little package. I've enjoyed playing in the one on the floor of the local Hyundai/Mazda dealer. Sort of like the Rondo, but these doors slide.

Having Hyundai in the same showroom only points out how behind-the-curve the Mazda powertrains are. This car would definitely benefit from the Sonata four-cylinder mills.
    I noticed the same thing when checking Malibu and Fusion websites. Not only are they 25~ behind the HP curve now, but the 'bu site lists specs for the 2010 Optima, not the 2011. WTF?

With some updated powertrains, this would be a very attractive package.
    Attractive? Maybe I should qualifty that.
    http://www.zeiners.com/1angler/photo...30flathead.jpg

Swede is right. Who the hell signed off on that gaping maw? Looks like a catfish. Not purdy.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-14-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I find the old one a lot more appealing.

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

If I needed something with more cargo space than a hatch I'd give this a strong look. ~90 cubic feet behind the first row sounds pretty good for the size/weight of this thing.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

From a styling standpoint I prefer the original 5. The interior is an improvement, however. Overall, if it's anything like the original I'll like it very much. It's genuinely fun to drive and extremely practical; I cannot think of a more practical vehicle with similar dimensions and pricing. It's got the best of both worlds: a near-wagon ride height but minivan flexibility.

My lone objective gripe is that I wish there was an engine upgrade. The 2.5L is fine for the bulk of buyers, but some might be willing to step up to some extra pep. But I guess Mazda doesn't have suitable engine. The 3.7L would ruin the driving experience with all the weight up front, but even more importantly it has crappy mileage. The 2.3T from the Mazdaspeed 3 has the power but is only rated 18/25. They should try to get something near the 21/28 of the 2.5L model.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I really like the concept of the Mazda5 and check it out every time I go to an autoshow. They've done a lot to manage space in such a small car.

Aside from the lack of performance pretensions that really aren't as important in this model, the only issue really is the lack of space for rear seat occupants. You really need to be fairly dexterous to get into the rear seats. Once there, be prepared to be unable to move for the entire time you're back there. Small children can fit reasonably, but the lack of rear seat room rivals many four seat sports cars. I owned the last generation Camaro and its rear seat was quite comfortable in comparison.

I want to like this car. I really do, but the rear seat is all but useless. Mazda would have been better off trading off the rear seat for more cargo room, which almost defeats the purpose of the car, or basing it off a larger platform like the Mazda 6.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice review. Hope to see one at the auto show this weekend; I've always found this vehicle to be fascinating; a van without the typical van problems.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I agree with others on the exterior styling. I actually grabbed an '10 model while they were still available. I do like the new interior through but it seemed the '12 model had a downgrade in standard features. (16" wheels, no lumbar adjustment, etc..)

We are actually on our third 5 now. Had an 06, 08 and now the 10. Power is a bit lacking but not bad. Handling is great for what it is. I've installed Mazdaspeed wheels and upgraded the rear swaybar on mine and it handles nearly as well as my Nissan Sentra Spec-V.

Rear seat legroom is bad when the seats are moved all the way back. But you aren't supposed to fit six passengers in that configuration. In that scenario the center row has a LOT of room and the back has none. I've taken trips with six passengers and we were all comfortable and had plenty of room. The trick is to adjust the seats to a more "normal" location. Pull the center row forward slightly to better match normal seat room for small cars then the rear row has about the same room available. Works very well for what it is. Since I only need those two extra seats maybe an hour or two every six weeks it is pefect. Did not have to drop an extra $10k+ on a larger van or maxi sized SUV that most certainly wouldn't be as entertaining to drive.

The 08 model we had was actually a stick also. Very enjoyable.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information