My review: 2012 Hyundai Accent sedan

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: My review: 2012 Hyundai Accent sedan

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

My review: 2012 Hyundai Accent sedan

Hyundai was once – not long ago – a purveyor of only the most basic form of automotive transportation. When the Korean automaker came to the U.S. in 1986, its selling point was that the subcompact Excel was better than the competition from Yugoslavia while still starting at under $5,000.

More recently, Hyundai has augmented its lineup with pricier products. Its midsize Sonata is the brand's best-seller, and the luxury Equus surpasses $65,000. Even so, Hyundai had held true to its heritage: the 2011-model Accent had the lowest base price on the market at $9,985.

Until now, anyway. For the 2012 model year, Hyundai has reinvented the last of its products that one would purchase only on the merits of its price tag...
    Continued: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-nati...cent-gls-sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: My review: 2012 Hyundai Accent sedan

Not the finest fit and finish:

But for a budget car it seems compelling enough, though I don't see much here that would justify it over the domestic Sonic.

On a related note I've noticed how last gen Sonatas have depreciated in true legendary Hyundai fashion, making for some great used car bargains - that would probably make a lot more sense than a $15k Accent.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I am very enamored of Hyundai's new 'fluidic sculpture' design language with its sleek amphibious influences, especially as seen in the Sonata, of which I see MANY on the road here in Tampa.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post

On a related note I've noticed how last gen Sonatas have depreciated in true legendary Hyundai fashion, making for some great used car bargains - that would probably make a lot more sense than a $15k Accent.
    You're not necessarily seeing particularly steep depreciation, as they were really cheap new. A previous-generation Sonata GLS was regularly discounted to $16k -- barely more than Elantras at the time and I believe less than comparably-equipped Elantras today.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    You're not necessarily seeing particularly steep depreciation, as they were really cheap new. A previous-generation Sonata GLS was regularly discounted to $16k -- barely more than Elantras at the time and I believe less than comparably-equipped Elantras today.
    In Canada (where I live) they were probably in the $22k range including discounts. The KIA version is even cheaper on the used market. For both we're talking $8k-$12k for low KMs (50k - 100k).

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,074 Times in 3,421 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

is it some journilist school thing, where the intro has to go into.. "you know, not so long ago, toyota was making sewing machines and hyundai was building momo bicycles, and oh boy now look, they build this big bad bwoy"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 4,401 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    I just checked Autotrader for used V6 Sonatas, 2007-2010. They don't seem to be as cheap as I'd expect a "discount" brand to be.

BTW, if properly priced I think a recent V6 Sonata would make a nice purchase. I believe 0-60 was in the 6.5 range. That's competitive with all but the hottest midsizers today.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    is it some journilist school thing, where the intro has to go into.. "you know, not so long ago, toyota was making sewing machines and hyundai was building momo bicycles, and oh boy now look, they build this big bad bwoy"
    Yes. They have to show you they know history, if not journalism.
    Don't forget the lead, "GM, not so long ago producing junk like the Impala, Regal, and Malibu...bankrupt...Roger Smith...Diet Coke can...anonymous taxi cabs..." etc.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I think the fact that Hyundai no longer sells a discount car is particularly interesting, regardless of whether such an introduction is overused in general.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Not the finest fit and finish:

My $22k Malibu ain't much better inside. If that is as bad as the mismatched panels get, I think Hyundai did a good job building it.

That being said, my parents test drove one last week. The road noise was too much for them as well, and bought a Sonata because of it.
    Get used to more.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

That ain't no stinkin' gap.

Now this is a gap...

Interesting comment about the noise tho, most other reviews have praised the new Accent for being one of the more quiet vehicles in its segment (unlike that for the Elantra).
    Last edited by YEH; 07-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information