My review of the 2011 Dodge Charger: Damn GM, you crazy!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My review of the 2011 Dodge Charger: Damn GM, you crazy!

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

My review of the 2011 Dodge Charger: Damn GM, you crazy!

Let me start off by saying this, compared to the 2010 Charger, the 2011 is a 15million times improvement in ever way imaginable, and I am not exaggerating.

The dealer only had 2 Chargers, a fully loaded R/T AWD in the showroom, and a mildly loaded Rallye V6 to drive. The test drive of the V8 will come later.

First, the looks
    I had a feeling going into the drive that any wheels other than the 20 in. chrome wheels would look tiny on the Charger. After seeing the 18in on the Rallye and 19in on the AWD (which to me look the best) I can say that isn't true. The Charger looks great in pictures and even better in person. All the panel gaps are tiny and linear and everything opens and shuts with a quality feel and sound.

An interior you have to love
    This really is where the Charger improved. Every surface is better than the old. The Aluminum(which is real) looks and feels great. Every last fit and finish is perfect, the dash plastics are great, the leather is great, controls are well damped and intuitive, just a great car. Visibility is really improved, although with an all black interior, having a sunroof makes the interior feel bigger. Plenty of space everywhere, but, when I adjust my seat accordingly (i'm 6 feet) I don't really have too much knee room or foot room if I sit behind myself. Not much of a problem since all my friends and family are short, but still weird. Also, a more basic interior still feels great, the cloth is great and the aluminum is still present. The 8.4in touchscreen works very intuitively and helps reduce dash clutter.

The drive
    Now, I only got to test drive a RWD Rallye with the 18in wheels. Overall, the handling is much improved, there is a lot more grip and poise. Driving over long bits of snow you can't tell it's RWD because it's so planted. Steering feel was pretty good for Electric, but was on the light side, on a scale of 1-10(10 being a Miata, 1 being a F10 550i) I would give it a 6, not bad seeing the G8 GT for me is an 8.5. I would bet the steering on the R/T would be less light so I'll hold full judgment on that till then. Power is great, it feels like a RWD Malibu V6, which is really good seeing the Malibu V6 is great on power. I just know though when the 8-Speed comes this powertrain will really be using it's full potential. Also, the car was as smooth as butter in operation and had a whisper quiet interior reminiscent of the quietness in my '10 Equinox, maybe even quieter(on the V6, don't know about V8).

Overall, I loved it. I'll be waiting till the R/T comes on whether or not I'm 100% on buying one, but from what I have seen so far, it is a great car.

Chrysler will have no problem selling these whatsoever, I give it an A++, and if you are in the market for anything between $25-35K and you don't buy this car, your an idiot.

Last thing, I would not be test driving the Charger right now and in such heavy consideration of buying one now if GM had just made a damn Zeta Impala like they said they would so many years back. Congrats GM, you just lost another one!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: My review of the 2011 Dodge Charger: Damn GM, you crazy!

Honestly, interior quality is on par, if not better than the E60 5-Series.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    Honestly, interior quality is on par, if not better than the E60 5-Series.
    That is excellent news, and let me be the first to grin in response to those who claim you can't build a roomy sedan on the "right" platform with the right engines and a great interior, wrapped up in a stylish package and great dynamics ... for 25-40K. What a concept, right?

Ford, GM, and Toyota can take notes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    That is excellent news, and let me be the first to grin in response to those who claim you can't build a roomy sedan on the "right" platform with the right engines and a great interior, wrapped up in a stylish package and great dynamics ... for 25-40K. What a concept, right?

Ford, GM, and Toyota can take notes.
    If the new LX cars do not win any awards I think it's safe to say that all auto-journalists are stupid.

Thanks

If the new LX cars do not win any awards I think it's safe to say that all auto-journalists are stupid.
    Indeed, especially considering Chrysler claims the 2005 300 was the most awarded new car in history.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

A very succinct yet informative review, I'm glad you liked the new Charger. However, you might want to consider investing in a thesaurus.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

We could have encouraged GM to build the Impala a little more if we had bought a few more G8's....

Just sayin.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Enjoyed the reviews but where the hell are the pictures?

Personally an AWD R/T would be on the top of my list if I had the cash. V8 power with AWD traction, what's not to love?
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I agree its an awesome car! Very well done. What was the MSRP of the car you tested?

sounds like a great vehicle although I too would wait for the 8 speed automatic. I think as gas prices go up the 8 speed would aid in fuel efficiency enough to make it worthwhile but if I needed a four door v8 hemi powered monster right now...I'm sure the 5 speed is equal in performance to the 8 speed automatic in acceleration..

Thanks for your insights.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

The pictures I took were crap And the R/T with AWD, no spoiler, in black, with those great 19in wheels looks fantastic!

As for the 8-Speed, who wouldn't love to cruise at 70MPH in 8th gear with only 4-cylinders running? Can you say 30MPG right there

Thanks

And the R/T with AWD, no spoiler, in black, with those great 19in wheels looks fantastic!
    These wheels?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Yes, I love them.

RWD or AWD, I want them.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 2,582 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Wow, those look a lot like the V6 G8 wheels.

BTW, the Drivers Confidence Group option is a pretty sweet option IMHO. Lots of cool stuff with it.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 02-06-2011 at 11:45 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

19 inches is honestly the perfect size these days for a large car.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

19 inches is honestly the perfect size these days for a large car.
    Sure if you don't mind $2,000 tires when the factory 19's wear out at 20K miles! 16 and 17's are more than enough for most of todays downsized big cars. 18 and 19's are really only needed on high po V8 setups and full sized trucks unless you drive on a race track and don't mind a harsher ride.
    Last edited by ponchoman49; 02-14-2011 at 11:18 AM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information