My review: 2011 Chrysler Sebr....200

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My review: 2011 Chrysler Sebr....200

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

My review: 2011 Chrysler Sebr....200

This is a midlevel Touring with the 283-hp V6. Review here: http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-nat...er-200-touring

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Re: My review: 2011 Chrysler Sebr....200

Good, well-balanced review. What this tells me is that if 2 more MPG combined (V6) and navigation are important to you consider this over the current generation Malibu.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Lipstick on a pig. Thank you for the well-written review.
    My blog: Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better.
    Get used to more.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Good review, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Considering all the improvements, I think it's lipstick, a haircut, a gym membership, and some dance lessons.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by BradyHolt View Post
    For the past several years, Chrysler had offered a gift to our auto-journalism community in the form of unambiguously uncompetitive vehicles that were impossibly easy to criticize for any number of obvious shortcomings.
    As always, a great review Brady. Some damn fine prose there. Just a few questions for you.

The center console lid opens clunkily, and it's too far back to be an ideally comfortable center armrest.
    Doesn't the armrest slide foward as it did on the previous cars?

A manager at Darcars Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge of Silver Spring, Md. – which provided the 200 tested for this review – said Chrysler is encouraging dealers to stock 200s equipped with the new 3.6-liter V6
    Any thoughts as to why Chrysler is bucking the trend when the market for V-6 family sedans is all but deceased? I sold Chevys about five years ago, and I still have a vivid recollection of customers shunning the Ep. I Malibu, not because it was a bad car (though it was positively mediocre), but rather, because you couldn't get a four-cylinder on the more sumptuously equipped trim-levels. Forcing dealers to stock a large percentage of V-6 Sebrings seems out of step with the times.

Finally, I couldn't help but notice how amidst that brand new dash, the old corporate radio sticks out like a sore-thumb.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tbirderic View Post
    Any thoughts as to why Chrysler is bucking the trend when the market for V-6 family sedans is all but deceased? I sold Chevys about five years ago, and I still have a vivid recollection of customers shunning the Ep. I Malibu, not because it was a bad car (though it was positively mediocre), but rather, because you couldn't get a four-cylinder on the more sumptuously equipped trim-levels. Forcing dealers to stock a large percentage of V-6 Sebrings seems out of step with the times.
    Good question.

Though with both the first generation Epsilon 1 Malibu and also this Chrysler, I suspect the V6 real world fuel economy will be very good. In the Malibu the 3.5 was mated to a four speed auto but a very tall final drive ratio. In the Sebring between the six speeds in the auto plus the aggressive tendency to upshift that bradyholt noted plus 260 foot pounds of torque, I'm sure it will spend most of its service life loafing along just barely above idle and sipping the fuel.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

As always, a great review Brady. Some damn fine prose there. Just a few questions for you.

Doesn't the armrest slide foward as it did on the previous cars?
    If it did, I may have criticized the car unfairly. But in my photos, I'm not seeing any mechanism that would let it slide.

I'm thinking rumors the V6 midsize family sedan's demise have been greatly exaggerated. But I'm sure it will come down to how they sell -- if need be, dealers can request more 4-cylinders, and the 4-cylinder is standard on all three trims.

Finally, I couldn't help but notice how amidst that brand new dash, the old corporate radio sticks out like a sore-thumb.
    Personally, I favor function over form for controls. The Chrysler radio isn't glitzy, but it's really easy to use.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    Good question.

Though with both the first generation Epsilon 1 Malibu and also this Chrysler, I suspect the V6 real world fuel economy will be very good. In the Malibu the 3.5 was mated to a four speed auto but a very tall final drive ratio. In the Sebring between the six speeds in the auto plus the aggressive tendency to upshift that bradyholt noted plus 260 foot pounds of torque, I'm sure it will spend most of its service life loafing along just barely above idle and sipping the fuel.
    The OHV 3.5 garnered stellar mpg ratings, at least under the old EPA system. Out in the real world, they average around 30mpg highway. The 2.2 was good for about 35mpg on the highway which was better than the Cobalt. I'd assume that's again due to the tall final drive ratio. I'm confident that a 3.6 Sebring will be frugal with fuel while simultaneously acheving perfomance stats that would have been unthinkable only five years ago.

The problem as I see it is that a good percentage of perspective buyers, at least in my humble opinon, simply don't want to entertain the notion of buying a V-6, even if it can be proven beyond a shadow of a dobut that they can literally have their cake an eat it too! As a rationalist, I find this most unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. There's always going to be innumerable buyers who are mpervious to any information that dispels their preconceived prejudices.

1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    Personally, I favor function over form for controls. The Chrysler radio isn't glitzy, but it's really easy to use.
    I found certain functions to be intuitive, but other functions were a bit of chore. For example, it's far easier to toggle between MP3 folders on the GM 'Black-Tie' unit. Of course, it goes without explanation that I should probably be more intently focused on the physcial act of driving, but that's a different topic for a different time.

1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

Thanks

The OHV 3.5 garnered stellar mpg ratings, at least under the old EPA system. Out in the real world, they average around 30mpg highway. The 2.2 was good for about 35mpg on the highway which was better than the Cobalt. I'd assume that's again due to the tall final drive ratio. I'm confident that a 3.6 Sebring will be frugal with fuel while simultaneously acheving perfomance stats that would have been unthinkable only five years ago.

The problem as I see it is that a good percentage of perspective buyers, at least in my humble opinon, simply don't want to entertain the notion of buying a V-6, even if it can be proven beyond a shadow of a dobut that they can literally have their cake an eat it too! As a rationalist, I find this most unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. There's always going to be innumerable buyers who are mpervious to any information that dispels their preconceived prejudices.
    Sure. Most of the people I know that aren't mild auto enthusiasts really have no idea how fast or fuel efficient other cars are.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Aprime's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't understand why the Italians are being credited for these improvements when all these things were already in the cards at the time of the Bush bailout.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Because they provided the money. Chrysler didn't have the budget to pull this off otherwise.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

It's been well-documented that the number and scope of product overhauls were Fiat-driven. The redesigned Grand Cherokee and LX cars were all Chrysler, but not all the other updates.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

I wrote my comments about a quick test drive of the 200 in another thread, but I can't find it so here is a good spot.

First, let me say that overall I am a GM fan. Of the last 10 new cars we have purchased, 9 are GM. I have never purchased a Chrysler product. We recently also test drove a new 2011 Patriot (which I liked the interior changes a lot, but just can't see a small suv with only 27mpg highway).

You can probably tell where I am going, but I liked the new 200, and even more so the 3.6 Avenger we just test drove last week. The styling to me still seems dated on both cars (like they are 5-10 years behind on exterior styling.) However, the interiors are nice on both. The seating position (especially on the Avenger Heat with cloth seats) is light years better than it was in our 2008 Malibu. Even though the dimensions are similar, the Dodge seems to have a much higher seating position and the seats are more comfortable.

As for the Drive of the 200/Avenger...much better than I thought. The car still seemed to be a little "floaty" for lack of better word (the stearing wasn't that tight) compared to our Malibu...but the car outdid our Malibu in every other way. The engine was stronger (283 hp in a 3500lb car will do that), and I can't argue with 29mph highway in a car with 283 hp. The interior as I said was very pleasing to me, and in our short test drive, we didn't notice any shakes and rattles.

If it were for the exterior styling alone, I might pass on the Avenger. But with the Engine and interior...and most importantly, an 'out the door' price of about $22000 with rebates, we are seriously considering one by the end of April. If you can get by the exterior styling of the cars, I think people who test drive one will see the changes are a lot more than just "lipstick on a pig."

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information