My comparison: Compact sedans

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My comparison: Compact sedans

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

My comparison: Compact sedans

Small cars are in one of the market segments I try to pay the most attention to, and I hadn't done a series of back-to-back economy sedan drives since my very first Examiner.com comparison back in 2008. Since then, nearly everything has been redesigned, so I drove nearly everything -- 10 cars in all.

All that's missing from the class as generally defined is the Mitsubishi Lancer (it came in distant last even in my 2008 writeup), the Subaru Impreza (redesign is on the way) and the Suzuki SX4 (I went with the Kizashi instead, which is more in line with the latest compacts' price, size and feel; the SX4 lines up more with the likes of the Hyundai Accent).

The link to the introduction is below, which shows the cars selected for the comparison and includes links to past write-ups:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-nati...s-introduction

The ranking order and explanations are coming tomorrow -- hopefully early tomorrow. I imagine you'll be as surprised as I was with some of the results, which did not match what I was predicting going in. My top three were cars I was guessing would be in the bottom half, two of which possibly as last-place contenders. The full reviews and photo galleries, which take significant time to assemble and persuade the Examiner.com software to publish, will come later.
    Last edited by bradyholt; 09-12-2011 at 10:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Re: My comparison: Compact sedans

The rankings and summary -- how the models stack up in different ways: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-nati...anking-summary

I've also added for this comparison a new way of reviewing the rankings: car-by-car "report cards" that make it easy to skim one particular car's various rankings and ratings. It's available as a photo slideshow.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Very concise well-written article.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

A very good effort.

I like the approach and in large part also the tone of it - no advertorial feel to it - which is nice - for a change.

On the otherhand, perhaps a bit terse in places and a bit dry overall.

( Gotta keep a little more positive, 'sexy' enthusiasm in there w/o going too far for general purpose reader appeal.)

Would've perhaps moved a few choices around relative to each other but that's well within the range of typical opinion 'difference' - and I'm by no means up to date or familiar enough with any of them.

Overall.... you should be at least more than a bit proud.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 09-13-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain " Matt Taibbi

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    A very good effort.

I like the approach and in large part also the tone of it - no advertorial feel to it - which is nice - for a change.

On the otherhand, perhaps a bit terse in places and a bit dry overall.

( Gotta keep a little more positive, 'sexy' enthusiasm in there w/o going too far for general purpose reader appeal.)

Would've perhaps moved a few choices around relative to each other but that's well within the range of typical opinion 'difference' - and I'm by no means up to date or familiar enough with any of them.

Overall.... you should be at least more than a bit proud.
    To be clear, the full reviews of each car are still on the way. This is just the boiled-down explanation of the ranking order, which is why you'd find it terse and dry.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Having recently purchased a Cruze (the Mazda 3 was our 2nd choice) I found your reviews pretty much spot on. Wasn't surprised the Cruze didn't win, figured it would come in 3rd or 4th.

We had it narrowed down to one of the "3 Touring's" with the 148hp engine/5AT combo. We liked the steering and power of the 3 better than the Cruze. The quietness of the Cruze was impressive, and the ride was smoother.

The seats were the deal breaker. I thought I wanted firmer seats but holy cow, it was like sitting on a boulder. Temp here with heat index often gets to 120 degrees, and several owners had posted on Mazda forums about the 3's a/c being a little on the weak side. And wife wanted a black car.
    Last edited by MrCritical; 09-13-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: ...

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    To be clear, the full reviews of each car are still on the way. This is just the boiled-down explanation of the ranking order, which is why you'd find it terse and dry.
    Ok, I missed that somewhere - and yes then that explains it completely - and also then makes it better yet.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain " Matt Taibbi

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,104 Times in 3,928 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

you have one of the best comparison formats if not the best, rating in areas where one might thing outweigh others

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

This is the problem with mainstream car review/comparisons. People want to read an exciting narrative with a protagonist and antagonist. Auto rags write what people want to read, so every comparison ends up being " Car X is the BEST GORRAM THING SINCE SLICED BREAD I CAME TWICE JUST TURNING THE KEY," while "Car Y IS WORSE THAN SYPHILLIS IF I WAS IN A ROOM WITH OSAMA BIN LADE AND HITLER WITH A GUN AND 2 BULLETS I WOULD SHOOT THIS CAR TWICE"

If they actually wrote the truth, which is usually "The dash material on Car X is a little bit softer than Car Y, I guess. But really they're both pretty good" then it's boring and no one will read it and no one will parrot it on their forums because it doesn't really make for great discussion and doesn't make the poster look like a knowledgeable car connoisseur with sophisticated, discerning Jeremy Clarkson-like taste.

Jack Baruth wrote a good article about this.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-chrysler-200/

I really like Brady Holt's comparison articles because they are much more honest than the other rags in this respect, I refer people to them even if I don't necessarily agree with the rankings.
    Last edited by tentacles; 09-13-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Great to see a good showing by the Cruze.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post
    This is the problem with mainstream car review/comparisons. People want to read an exciting narrative with a protagonist and antagonist. Auto rags write what people want to read, so every comparison ends up being " Car X is the BEST GORRAM THING SINCE SLICED BREAD I CAME TWICE JUST TURNING THE KEY," while "Car Y IS WORSE THAN SYPHILLIS IF I WAS IN A ROOM WITH OSAMA BIN LADE AND HITLER WITH A GUN AND 2 BULLETS I WOULD SHOOT THIS CAR TWICE"

If they actually wrote the truth, which is usually "The dash material on Car X is a little bit softer than Car Y, I guess. But really they're both pretty good" then it's boring and no one will read it and no one will parrot it on their forums because it doesn't really make for great discussion and doesn't make the poster look like a knowledgeable car connoisseur with sophisticated, discerning Jeremy Clarkson-like taste.

Jack Baruth wrote a good article about this.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-chrysler-200/

I really like Brady Holt's comparison articles because they are much more honest than the other rags in this respect, I refer people to them even if I don't necessarily agree with the rankings.

x 10.

( - after a certain point in time on the referral aspect.)

_________

Related....

Have you ever seen an old copy of Roadtest ?

Or even certain issues of Car Life and in a slightly different way, Sports Car Graphic ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Very concise well-written article.
    A very good effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    you have one of the best comparison formats if not the best, rating in areas where one might thing outweigh others
    Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post

I concur with my fellow GMInsideNews members - the presentation format for this comparison test is superb. I don't agree with the overall rank order myself, but relevant information is so well organized that this would be the first hyperlink I'd share with family or friends who are seeking to purchase a compact car.

Examiner.com and its parent Clarity Media Group have endured accusations in the past of being a "content farm" and even of plagiarism on the part of some its contributors (NOT bradyholt). The quality of this review (along with the accompanying slideshow and report cards) puts such concerns to rest.

Have you ever seen an old copy of Roadtest ?
    I have, and it makes me nostalgic. I also really like Bud Lindemann's Car and Track TV program from the late 1960s and early 1970s. Several episodes can be found on YouTube.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Don't think I even knew anything about, much less saw any of that.

I'll have to look it up.

With a play on title like that .....

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

It definitely is the case that there are problems elsewhere on Examiner.com, as the company's business model is basically to let a huge variety of people each try their own methods to collect hits at the site. Those who rely on the site as a significant or even primary source of income sometimes use different methods from people like me who mostly do it in their spare time just to be able to share information.

While I normally appreciate the benefits of being associated with a large organization (better Google results, easier access to some vehicle press loans), I do sometimes see the results of other contributors' actions and perhaps a lack of oversight from the company. For instance, I saw someone else use one of my sales charts as a reference for a fact on Wikipedia, and then see someone else take it down as a "blacklisted" source.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Now posted:

10th place (Toyota Corolla): http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-nati...ans-10th-place

9th place (Kia Forte): http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-nati...dans-9th-place

And a sidebar review of the Forte SX five-door: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-nati...e-sx-hatchback

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information