Mr. Riffle drives a Taurus.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Riffle drives a Taurus.

Thanks

Mr. Riffle drives a Taurus.

It was inevitable. I knew I was going to drive the new Taurus at some point since it first came out. As the owner of two Tauruses, it was my duty to drive the new one.

Milwaukee had it's annual auto show a few weeks ago. As I usually do, I made my way down there to attend it. Ford, having probably the largest display I've ever seen at the auto show, had a promotion waiting for me: Take a test drive of a 2010 Ford, get a fifty dollar Mastercard gift card.

Normally I won't bother a salesman to take a test drive of something when I'm not at all interested in buying. But here was Ford offering to stuff cash in my pocket to drive a car and tell them what I think of it. That's pretty much my dream job right there.

Today I finally had the chance to take one for a spin. I didn't bring my camera, but here's a random internet pic of a nearly identical Taurus:

With the light interior

It was a pretty basic model (as basic as the Taurus gets, anyway), with a sunroof as pretty much the only option.

Notes:

-A few here have written about the Taurus feeling "cramped" or "small". At no point during my drive did I feel that the Taurus was anything but a big car. There was plenty of room inside. However, unlike in most cars, the center console is tall. It sat about an inch or so above my knee. That probably exacerbated any feeling of claustrophobia. Perhaps with the release of the Police interceptor Ford will make a column shifter and bench seat available on the regular civilian models (I wouldn't hold my breath). Otherwise, police should have no problems with room.

-You sit high in the Taurus. Very high. It's akin to a crossover in this regard. This has it's advantages, especially in city driving.

-As with every car nowadays, glass space is minimal. Visibility in the Taurus is only okay. I would've liked a more upright windshield, as there were times where I had to lean forward a bit to see a stoplight. For the record I'm slightly over six feet tall.

-The power on the 3.5L V6 was there, but higher up than I expected. The Taurus had to rev up a bit to get to it. Now we aren't talking Honda levels here, but more than my '04 which finds it's (only) power down low.

-The suspension on the Taurus was perfect. It was soft enough to soak up some rough stretches of city street, while stiff enough to not feel like a rowboat. Note that I did not go blasting around any backroads with it. For those wondering, it feels a bit softer than my '04s suspension. Might also have something to do with the weight difference between the two.

-The controls were layed out in a fairly good order. The turn signal lever was a bit far back for my taste, but still manageable. Those with smaller hands may not like it. I am a little curious as to who put the trunk release button on the passenger side.

-The interior materials all felt high-end, as well they should at this price.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mr. Riffle drives a Taurus.

If only one could make a living that way, right? Nice write-up.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 87silver's Avatar
    Thanks

Is the Taurus going to stay a car now, or will it become a crossover or wagon?
    Nice car currently, but it must be confusing for the average consumer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

I just took my own $50 test drive this weekend, the third year in a row I've done so. (It used to be $75.)

On the "cramped" comments, no one has said that the Taurus isn't roomy, just that it's not roomy for such a massive automobile -- and not nearly as roomy as the 2009 model.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

As far as I know, just a car. They have the Flex these days for the large crossover role. I read recently (probably here) that the Taurus X and Flex were intended to coexist for a while. While that would have been another coat in Ford's stuffed crossover-closet, I also think it would have been nice to have the Taurus X for those who wanted something less distinct than the Flex. It is too bad the Taurus X was too pedestrian and never received the marketing support it needed, as it was a fantastically practical car.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrickTamland View Post
    If only one could make a living that way, right? Nice write-up.
    Hmm, It can't cost that much to start a magazine, can it? I mean, they pretty much have thirty magazines for even the most uninteresting topics.

Quote Originally Posted by 87silver View Post
    Is the Taurus going to stay a car now, or will it become a crossover or wagon?
    Nice car currently, but it must be confusing for the average consumer.
    The Taurus will stay a car, I'm sure. As for the Taurus X/Freestyle, it's my understanding that that is pretty much the role that the new Explorer is going to play.

Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    I just took my own $50 test drive this weekend, the third year in a row I've done so. (It used to be $75.)

On the "cramped" comments, no one has said that the Taurus isn't roomy, just that it's not roomy for such a massive automobile -- and not nearly as roomy as the 2009 model.
    Well of course it isn't as roomy as the 2009 model, that was a giant bubble with a hood and a trunk.

I don't know how much bigger people could want the Taurus to be inside though. I was certainly not hurting for space. How does it actually compare figure-wise to other large sedans?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC RatPackCadillac's Avatar
    Thanks

One of my favorite cars at the last LA Auto Show - amazing interior. Nice review, really right on the money.
    :::I want my new Impala GM! Hidden Content :::

Current ride: 2007 Cobalt LS
    Favorite rides: 1967 Cadillac Eldorado - 1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 - 1968 Buick Riviera - 2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 1968 Ford Galaxie 500XL - 2007 Monte Carlo SS

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

What are you going to spend your 50 bucks on?
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice write up. I really want to drive an SHO, that car is probably all kinds of fun for a large car.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I look forward to driving the new generation of Taurus as well. It's certainly attractive. I just have this feeling that the beauty is only skin deep and that it's pricier than it ought to be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    What are you going to spend your 50 bucks on?
    Things, and stuff. Probably just use it in lieu of my own cash in order to save up.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by BrickTamland View Post

It is too bad the Taurus X was too pedestrian and never received the marketing support it needed, as it was a fantastically practical car.
    I'm such a wagon nut. The first thing I thought about is how much stuff I could jam in the back of that!

Nice write up KR. It sounds like the Taurus does exactly what it is supposed to. Car stuff with out pretending to do anything else (in a half arsed manner as most crossovers do).
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member MN12Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Thunderbird, Ranger, Focus

Quote Originally Posted by King Riffle View Post
    -The power on the 3.5L V6 was there, but higher up than I expected. The Taurus had to rev up a bit to get to it. Now we aren't talking Honda levels here, but more than my '04 which finds it's (only) power down low.
    Does your '04 Taurus have the 3.0L Duratec or Vulcan V6? The Vulcan's torque output peaks at a relatively low RPM -- by today's standards. Also, the engine behavior in the new Taurus might be because of how the transmission's geared. First gear is 4.484:1 with a 3.16:1 final drive ratio, which means, off the line, the transmission is going to keep the engine higher up in its rev range. Your Taurus has a 3.96:1 final drive ratio but a much taller set of gear ratios in the transmission, starting at 2.77:1 for first.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,100 Times in 2,119 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

I haven't driven a Taurus. Nor do I have the need to go to a Ford dealership to drive one.

But I have to say, if the Taurus drive and feels anything like the Mercury Montego, with materials to match, then it really probably is one of the best full sized family cars on the road.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Good Review.

Mgescuro...it's much better than the Montego. It's the next generation of that chassis....a modern day Ford LTD, but way better. It can be had with AWD, a 360 something horspower engine, and it's one of the safest vehicles you can buy today.

The Taurus is a very good car. It's a bit expensive to meet the volumes of the pre-2005 versions...but Ford isn't expecting it to.

I'd seriously consider one if I were in the market for a sedan now. $30K gets you a pretty good piece here- much better than what you get from the Impala, Maxima, or Avalon in that regard (though the Impala is considerably cheaper).
    Last edited by member12; 03-17-2010 at 01:35 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information