Mazda6 Two Month Review

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Mazda6 Two Month Review

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,183 Times in 4,406 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Mazda6 Two Month Review

OK, we're at two months and 2000 miles.

Lord I hate the little electronic helpers. The wiper wand has about eight positions. One of them, unbeknownst to me, activates the Rain feature. So when a sudden shower soaked me a few days ago, the freakin wipers came on. I Rain-X the glass, so I don't use wipers at speeds over 30 or so, they just irritate me. Finding the OFF position is not what I like to do in pouring rain at 60+ in thick traffic.

The light stalk, for some reason, is not lighted. The Nav is primitive and for some reason does not tell you what street you're on and it does not give the speed traveled, only if you're exceeding the limit. Thanks, Nanny!
    I long for the simple dial controls for HVAC and radio that my Soul had. Having to scroll around to go from FM to AM is, as that car insurance ad says, ridiculous.

OTOH, the car is quick, quiet, comfortable, plenty large for my needs, and is still pulling 32 MPG or so consistently. I've been told to expect high 30s to 40 on the highway but I haven't seen that yet.

This drivetrain in a Soul would be great. The Soul turbo is also pretty cool though. But a non-turbo 2.5 with 185 HP and torkies and a standard 6A, no funny business, has appeal.

And so go...The Days Of Our Lives.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-23-2017),BlackGTP (05-23-2017),neshapop (05-23-2017),richmond2000 (05-23-2017),SP1966 (05-23-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 669 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Re: Mazda6 Two Month Review

On a somewhat unrelated note, my brother is looking for a used commuter car to get him through his residency program. He's considering a Mazda 2 and Kia Soul, 2014s with about 30k.

Anything he should be wary of?
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-24-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post
    On a somewhat unrelated note, my brother is looking for a used commuter car to get him through his residency program. He's considering a Mazda 2 and Kia Soul, 2014s with about 30k.

Anything he should be wary of?
    I don't know much about the 2, but Souls tend to be trouble-free and cheap. A used '14 should have the remainder of the 5/60 B-B warranty, and you can buy back in to the 10/100 if you want. IF he buys from a KIA dealer, or private party, AFAIK.

Other than a couple of what I considered minor safety recalls on my '15, there were NO issues with either my '13 or my '15. Or my '07 Spectra for that matter.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Modern cars are very good, and, most CARS these days are still higher/taller than they were 15+ years ago. For us, we would probably be fine with a car....however, once you go to a crossover or SUV and experience the higher ride height and ease of getting in and out of them, it is tough to go back to a lower car.

I look at how tall cars were in the 1980's and 1990's...and I am amazed at how I didn't think it was a problem getting in and out of them..as they are much shorter than they even are now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-24-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

How's M6's fuel economy in heavy city stop and go traffic? My brother in law has 2016 base Mazda 3 but drives it at optimum speed and country road/empty local highways and gets 35-40 mpg. Keeps bragging about it but I am in dense metro area with heavy traffic 7 am to 7 pm and most people get high 20's at best.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by neshapop View Post
    How's M6's fuel economy in heavy city stop and go traffic? My brother in law has 2016 base Mazda 3 but drives it at optimum speed and country road/empty local highways and gets 35-40 mpg. Keeps bragging about it but I am in dense metro area with heavy traffic 7 am to 7 pm and most people get high 20's at best.
    I'm not in heavy stop and go as you describe. I'd call it suburban light with some city involvement and some highway, and I'm getting about 32 consistently. One thing I noticed was the CR data showed MPG consistent with the Elantra but acceleration about one to 1.5 seconds quicker to 60. That's a pretty neat trick given the weight differences. If I could have this drivetrain in a Soul it would make an ideal combo.

M6 owners regularly report near 40 for the highway.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I'm not in heavy stop and go as you describe. I'd call it suburban light with some city involvement and some highway, and I'm getting about 32 consistently. One thing I noticed was the CR data showed MPG consistent with the Elantra but acceleration about one to 1.5 seconds quicker to 60. That's a pretty neat trick given the weight differences. If I could have this drivetrain in a Soul it would make an ideal combo.

M6 owners regularly report near 40 for the highway.
    Thanks, I think this might be our next family sedan.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to neshapop For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-27-2017)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by neshapop View Post
    Thanks, I think this might be our next family sedan.
    In the past few years, we have had a new Mazda 6 with the automatic, a mazda 3 with an auto (2.0 version, not the 2.5), a FWD CX-5 (with the 2.5) and an AWD CX-3 (2.0 automatic). Yes, I drive that much that we usually get a new car every year (between myself and my wife).

For the most part, I stay right at the speed limit. I go 65 on the highway when the speed limit is 65, 55 when it is 55, and I go to GREAT LENGTHS to avoid traffic (morning and afternoon rush hour.)

With that said, I can tell you if you stay close to the speed limit, you can easily expect high 30s on the highway with a A6 Mazda 6 (about 38), 41-42mpg with a auto 2.0 Mazda 3, about 33-35 with a CX-5 FWD, and 36-38 with an AWD CX-3. That is my experience with 40-60,000 miles driven on all of those (closer to 30,000 on the CX-5) and keeping track of mileage often both manually and with the trip computer (the trip computers on the mazda were always VERY accurate...our current Kia seems to always be about 7-10% too optimistic)

We got a Kia Soul Turbo for me right now (had the itch to drive something different) and traditionally I have purchased GM Vehicles...but I can't see myself staying away from Mazda in the future. From the small 3, to the mid size 6, to the small CX-3, to the CX-5, I have loved just about all of them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

neshapop (05-27-2017)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information