Long Term 2017 Malibu Hybrid Torture Test

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Long Term 2017 Malibu Hybrid Torture Test

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Malibu Hybrid Black

Long Term 2017 Malibu Hybrid Torture Test

Preface

People asked that seeing that I was going to be putting my new Malibu Hybrid into duty as a long term rideshare program, (Uber, Lyft, Veyo, and various package and food deliveries programs), car that I should do a log as to how the car holds up. I am going to try to do that here. Now a few points, as of right now the car is only being used as a normal car because I am using to to care for my ex wife that is going through cancer treatments, so it will be a few weeks before it really starts getting punished.

Initial Review

In the first 100 miles of owning this car I can easily say that I like this car. I firmly believe that this is GMs best designed car in any segment that it competes in. The exterior of the car is very well thought out and is very easy on the eyes from any angle. Most car designs to just seem to forget about including the rear of the car in the overall design theme so it usually looks lost as to the rest of the car. The Mosaic Black Metallic paint looks elegant when clean and in bright sunlight, this is due to the non-silver metal flake that is in the paint, it give a brass/bronze reflection. The chrome accents look good without being overbearing and I am not a fan of chrome at all on newer designs. My only gripe to the exterior is that there was no option for a black or gunmetal painted wheels, the grey/silver painted wheels detract from the black paint of the car to a point that I am considering getting the stock wheels powder coated black.

The interior with the leather package is well thought out and has a good feel to the leather. The switchgear is logically placed and can mostly be operated with having to move your eyes from the road. The only major option that this car does not have is a sunroof and living in Phoenix AZ this is a good option to not have. Rear seat room is good even with the drivers seat positioned for a 6'2'' driver like myself and haveing 2 USB ports plus a 110V outlet in the back will give my passengers charging options during the ride to their destination. The Bose sound system while not audiophile quality sounds very good and having all the EQ options it can give everyone the ability to tune to your personal tastes.

Driving dynamics are what you would expect from a mid-sized family car. It accelerates well, has very good brakes, even better with regenerative braking engaged, and the chassis remains very well composed even over rough pavement. Cornering ability was a bit of a surprise for a car with so so tires set at 38psi, the car goes where you point it until you overpower the front wheels and then it goes into a mild oversteer condition that is still very managable. The only downside that I have found so far is that the driving aides work very well at speeds above 55mph, below that they seem to react at a much slower rate. Low speed automatic braking does not seem to be sensitive enough at lower speed and so for I do not trust it at all. Same goes for the lane deviation, at lower speeds it does not react like at highway speeds.

Mileage

So far according to the cars computer, I know it is not to be trusted, I have been hitting 41mpg while city driving. Full disclosure here, that is the cars rolling MPG for the last 50 miles, so I am somewhat impressed with how good the fuel economy is so far. I will be keeping a full logbook of all mileage once I fill up the car myself so once that happens I will see what the real fuel mileage is.

So, what else would you all like to see in my reporting of this long term torture test?
    2017 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Mosaic Black Metallic

2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF - The rocketship.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ramair-WS6 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-14-2017),BlackGTP (07-13-2017),Cphelps (07-13-2017),gkr778 (07-14-2017),JimmyDiablo (07-14-2017),mbukukanyau (07-14-2017),richmond2000 (10-31-2017),supraracer (07-14-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,940 Times in 4,842 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Long Term 2017 Malibu Hybrid Torture Test

How smooth is it when the gas engine kicks in?

Also, once you've had your car a month or two I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it compares to its hybrid competition (Camry, Accord and Fusion) if you have time to test drive them.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,840 Times in 2,721 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

The driving assists are purposefully lower at lower speeds as the corrections dont need to happen as fast. It's super odd to trust automatic braking but it works.

Also, my Camaro MPG has been pretty spot on unless I do a lot of idling. On most trips it's only off .3 from hand calculations.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Malibu Hybrid Black

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    How smooth is it when the gas engine kicks in?
    I literally cannot tell unless I see it happen on the energy screen. It is seamless.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ramair-WS6 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-13-2017),dannyg (10-31-2017),mbukukanyau (07-14-2017)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Malibu Hybrid Black

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    The driving assists are purposefully lower at lower speeds as the corrections dont need to happen as fast. It's super odd to trust automatic braking but it works.

Also, my Camaro MPG has been pretty spot on unless I do a lot of idling. On most trips it's only off .3 from hand calculations.
    That is good to know that the mileage the computer is showing is fairly accurate. This is my first car with driving aides so it is taking a bit to get used too.

Thanks

I'm mainly interested in the mileage over time. I rented a fusion hybrid 3 times now. The most recent being two weeks ago. I don't think I could get use to its braking system. I'm just waiting for the range on plug ins to increase to atleast the 400 mile mark then I'll be on board for one as a daily.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobaltss_King For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (07-14-2017),mbukukanyau (07-14-2017)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Malibu Hybrid Black

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    I'm mainly interested in the mileage over time. I rented a fusion hybrid 3 times now. The most recent being two weeks ago. I don't think I could get use to its braking system. I'm just waiting for the range on plug ins to increase to at least the 400 mile mark then I'll be on board for one as a daily.
    With the car not being broken in yet and having the rolling 50 mpg now in excess of 40 mpg I am somewhat confident that this will be a very fuel efficient vehicle. That being said, if the Bolt would have exceeded 325 mi per charge then it would have been a serious contender for my money.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Great car, absolutely hate the bland styling

Thanks
    Thanked 9,940 Times in 4,842 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post

My ATS is spot on as well and I do the math every time I fill it. My past GM's were very innacurate which drove me nuts as I don't see the point in having such a calculation if it isn't even remotely close - "math brought to you by marketing" (the mpg's were always very optomistic).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,338 Posts

I'm so psyched for this! You've done a lot of research and found this car to be the best for your use, so I can't wait to see how this turns out. Your complete honesty about this approach makes it so much more enjoyable!! Thanks for this thread for sure!

Also, I have to ask, will it do a burnout? Will it do a handbrake turn?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (07-14-2017)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Malibu Hybrid Black

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    Also, I have to ask, will it do a burnout? Will it do a handbrake turn?
    Yes, it will do a decent burnout, I found this out by mistake when leaving the dealership. That area is notorious for heavy traffic and I left a nice stripe when I had a small gap to get into.

It has the electronic parking brake so I have no clue if it can be drifted.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramair-WS6 For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (07-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,006 Times in 1,524 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Excellent thread, thanks for sharing your experiences Ramair-WS6! This is very valuable to gather "real world" usage details.

Here are my questions regarding your Malibu Hybrid torture test:

1.) How has the seat upholstery held up with the ridesharing duties you've been doing? Any noticeable wear or fraying? (both driver's seat and passenger)
    2.) Have you had to do any driving in the Maryvale section of Phoenix?
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Did i miss a 3 month review of Long Term 2017 Malibu Hybrid Torture Test ??

Just wondering on update ....

21. The Following User Says Thank You to uvikrama For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-31-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

has the OP signed up for Fuelly to track fuel econ?
    and has there been ANY dealer visit "issues" yet?

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information