Jaguar Alive Driving Experience

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Jaguar Alive Driving Experience

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Jaguar Alive Driving Experience

Just got back from a Jaguar driving event. What an awesome experience. Jags have always been one of the best designed vehicles out there. They have not been always the most reliable vehicles out there, but their designs are always beautiful.

They had the XK, XF, XJ, XKR, XJR, XKR-S, F-Type, and XFR-S for us check out. They had four driving courses setup. They had a street drive in the XJ's. We were in the V6 equipped model. It was nice. Comfortable, but not enough time for a good impression.

Then they had us go to what they call the technology tent where we were able to see how their AWD and control systems handled non-ideal road conditions. They had us do two laps. The first lap had all the computers turned off. Just the AWD system functioning. First obstacle was a uphill start on snow/rain. They had us mash the gas pedal acting like an idiot 16 year old kid. The rear tires just spun sending tire smoke into the cabin through the HVAC as it slowly climbed up and over. The second obstacle consisted of a start on a slanted surface. Again mash the pedal, and the car started to drift side ways. Third obstacle mimicked an on ramp that was treated with sand. Pressed the gas to gain speed and the vehicle went into a front end skid. Final obstacle had us stopped with the wheel turned hard right to get a rear skid when we mashed the gas pedal.

The second lap had the computer systems turned on. Back to the first obstacle. Mashed the gas pedal again, but the car intelligently only applied enough power to climb up the incline from a stop. Same story with the second obstacle with keeping the vehicle on the incline without letting it slide sideways, prevented the front skid in the third obstacle, and rear skid in the final obstacle.

I must say though, it was the least invasive system I have ever driven. Vehicles I have driven would let the tires slip, cut power, and then reapply power. Something that is invasive and doesn't really help you keep the vehicle under control.

Then we did a 0-60 run in the XKR-S which has 550 HP and 508 lb.-ft. of torque. OMG does that thing go like crazy. I was thrown back into the seat and I was just grinning with the gas pedal pressed as hard to the floor as I could get it. Even though it was supposed to be 0-60, I felt like I was going about 75 MPH. This was recorded so I will have video of my run with my performance data by Wednesday they said.

Finally, they had a small track setup for us throw these cats around. I chose to take the "regular" XKR around the track. First lap was an introduction lap and the second lap was timed. The fastest person in your group would get a concept drawing of one of the Jags. I managed to get a time of 37 seconds around the track, which is sadly one second behind the fastest time in my group. I know where I made mistakes and was too aggressive with the gas pedal( gee, 500 HP is still a lot of power). Wished I had one more lap because I feel like I could still improve my time.

Overall, it was a great experience. I maintain that these Jags are one of the best designed vehicles on the market today. They are more beautiful than BMW's Audi's, Cadillac's, and other luxury car makers. They are arguably up there with Aston Martin's when it comes to exterior design. They drive great with a great interior and technology. Only thing holding me back from ever considering one is the fact I am still concerned about their long term reliability.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,044 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: Jaguar Alive Driving Experience

Jaguar reliability is top notch now as is the performance. You should treat yourself to one of these. I Too have enjoyed the jaguar Xkr and Xkr and with the supercharged v8 s they have some great getup and go. The new xjR is a real beauty.

Good luck deciding what's best for you.

Looking forward to the video when you post up the link

JB

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

I am maybe 20 years from being in a market for a Jaguar..... My dad was invited to it and so we went. Just stating that their reliability would hold me back. They are still among the bottom of JD Power's long term reliability surveys.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Sounds like a great father son experience.

I believe jaguar climbed a lot on recent JD Powers surveys.

They are quite beautiful.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Sounds like a great father son experience.

I believe jaguar climbed a lot on recent JD Powers surveys.

They are quite beautiful.
    They are near the top in their initial quality surveys, but remain near the bottom for their long term surveys.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

People have long memories. As is often stated it is much easier to keep a customer than get a new one -they neglect to mention that it is almost impossible to get back a customer who has had a bad experience. This was particularly evident with people who bought Series 3 XJ6's -they have awful long memories!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Sounds pretty sick.

I want to love Jags, I just can't get over their new look. Meh. The F-type is nice enough.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

If you don't love the new jag than forget about it but for those who want one....just grab an extended warranty and enjoy or just lease them....

I believe jaguar since tata ownership has come a long way

Very pretty

Nice to have the opportunity to enjoy an event like that with your dad.

Those are the memories years down the road that last a lifetime...

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    Just got back

Overall, it was a great experience. I maintain that these Jags are one of the best designed vehicles on the market today. They are more beautiful than BMW's Audi's, Cadillac's, and other luxury car makers. They are arguably up there with Aston Martin's when it comes to exterior design. They drive great with a great interior and technology. Only thing holding me back from ever considering one is the fact I am still concerned about their long term reliability.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Here is the video of my run in the XKR-S. I thought I went to 75 MPH. Actually went to 85 MPH.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Cool video.....

The XKR is cool but I'm digging the new f type a little more.

Good to see you enjoying yourself although it was a quick video....

Thanks for sharing

(edit). Did you get to drive the new f type ? What was your opinion of the f type convertible visually?

Did you like the Xkr better visually or did you like the smaller f type?
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 03-26-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

The F-Type was just on display. I don't know which one I prefer. Both are nicely well designed cars. Would have to go for the XKR-S due to it being a bit more practical. The F-Type has a Solstice/Sky like trunk. i.e: There is none.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information