Impala, Briefly

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impala, Briefly

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,113 Times in 4,363 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Impala, Briefly

We got a couple of those teasers from the local Chibby emporium. Yes, friends, I think we won a new car!!

Turns out the "prize" for coming in and getting on their list is a webcam, genuine chrome-look plastic here and there!!

While I was burning up time, I sat in an SS and listened to the engine burble. Seemed nice enough but thinking it over, I wonder why they didn't just jazz it up a bit, price it at 49 grand and call it the Caddy Forty-Niner.

I did drive a new Impala. The V6s ranged in price from about 28 to 40 or so. I drove the tarted-up car.
    Frankly I like my cars with less, not more.

As the salesman and I joked, we could pay 500 for heated seats...or we could go to Amazon or Walrus World and get two heated seats for $40.
    He said he has three kids at home so feeding them comes before other priorities. "I always thought you were supposed to freeze your butt off for the first 10 minutes anyway." Indeed. Life is tough.

This is a very nice car. Steering is tight and quick, I noticed that immediately. The round, reasonably-readable speedo and tach and digital speedo are front and center. The temp and fuel are tiny and hidden at the top of the speed/tach.
    The car rides comfortably and controlled. It's quiet, it's smooth, the trans is smooth and trouble-free. A punch on the gas gives strong forward motion.

Coming off the exit, some box squalked. Perhaps it was a proximity sensor feeling the three-foot-tall concrete barriers on the right side of the road.

As I said, this was a brief drive of two or three miles around the standard dealer loop. But in that brief time, I can see why folks love the new Impy. I would have no problem owning one of these. My only reservations would be with the GDI and potential intake valve issues.

It does feel tighter and more modern than my Charger, by a decent margin. I won't be trading, the Charger is here for the long haul.

Getting out, I was surprised to be trapped by the steering wheel. IIRC it did have a flat bottom, for those who find that an attractive feature.

One of these days I'll get one of these as a rental. But on the surface, NICE JOB CHEVY.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (03-25-2014),mchicha (04-08-2014),Michael_S (03-24-2014),mikmak (03-25-2014),roy219 (03-25-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Impala, Briefly

Nice review.

I don't even know why I pay attention. For the first time in a long time I only have one car payment, and the only smart thing to do when the second car payment is finished is run them until they rust apart.

I do love how the new Impala looks, though.

Thanks
    My Ride

Thanks, Michael. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the experience. And the looks have grown on me a bit. These would make good copper cars.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

Ha...GDI.

I love the look of the new Impala, but not the price. I understand it is quite the upgrade from the latest iteration wbody, but I cannot imagine paying $40k for a FWD sedan with 3 interior color options. AWD should be an option as well.

FWIW, my 2012 LTZ got the 3.6 and it takes some getting used to, but I will probably get the ECM/PCM tune from Overkill which will open her up quite a bit. The FE3 suspension and 300HP makes it fun to drive and I only paid $19k for it CPO w 23k miles. I will probably get around to comparing it with a 2014 LTZ at some point to do a comparo.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post
    Ha...GDI.

I love the look of the new Impala, but not the price. I understand it is quite the upgrade from the latest iteration wbody, but I cannot imagine paying $40k for a FWD sedan with 3 interior color options. AWD should be an option as well.

FWIW, my 2012 LTZ got the 3.6 and it takes some getting used to, but I will probably get the ECM/PCM tune from Overkill which will open her up quite a bit. The FE3 suspension and 300HP makes it fun to drive and I only paid $19k for it CPO w 23k miles. I will probably get around to comparing it with a 2014 LTZ at some point to do a comparo.
    I should've driven a W-body after driving the new car. Salesman really wanted to stay out of the showroom, they'd been at their promotion for five days and everyone was totally burned out.

Driving the New Impala, W Impala, and SS back-to-back would be the best way to compare and share.

And yes, the Ws are a huge bargain.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '15 Impala 2LTZ silver topaz

I haven't driven a new 14 yet, but I want one badly. The boss lady says she wants something different next time, even though she likes the '08 Imp we have now, maybe a Caddy. I told her if she thinks an Impala LTZ2 is too high with a well loaded sticker around 42K, wait till she finds out what a new XTS stickers for with a few little options. Haha. Got about 2 years to battle this out. Wish me luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1954 Chevy For This Useful Post:

mikmak (03-25-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride

Luck!!

If she wants a $45,000+ Caddy, just surprise her with an SS.
    Peel off those cheapass Chibby bowties and slap some wreath-and-crest tags on.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-25-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

The SS looks small to me in pictures. Is it about the same body as the new Caprice police cars? The KSP here have quite a few and they look too much like a W body Impala to me.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

I had a 2014 Impala as I rental at Orange County around Xmas time. It was brand new, the very first rental..... I loved it enough to put 1000 miles on it in 6 days. It was a LT with the V6. I likely will buy one when my lease is up. Last week I had a "new" 2013 Impala LTZ
    at Ontario...when I asked for a new Impala they reserved one of these for we....
    After driving plenty of miles on both in the near same situation.........I wouldn't want the old one for free. The new is so much better !!!! By far the best rental I've ever had.
    BTW, 3 years ago I had a brand new Impala SS V8 [ got 10/12 mpg ] as a rental also at Ontario, Ca airport.......I'm just a Impala kind of guy.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

Chey dealer need me in South Dade has 2 SS.....you are right it seems only a bit bigger than a Camaro. I really like the interior...but the sales people say there is little interest at 45k...... That stated, I still really like the overall appearance.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride

I saw some SS's listed on ebay today with some discounted.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
    Chey dealer need me in South Dade has 2 SS.....you are right it seems only a bit bigger than a Camaro. I really like the interior...but the sales people say there is little interest at 45k...... That stated, I still really like the overall appearance.
    Like I said somewhere else, the SS should have been a Cadillac 49er (Model Name), base sticker 49 grand including delivery.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-25-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

marinerbc (03-26-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Ruby Red Fusion Titanium

The new Impala is a lot nicer then the previous model but some of the styling cues, mostly the rear 3/4 and rear have me going "ugh, what's with that"? Nice overall car though

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

The new Impala has a nice design, but I find it, the LaCrosse and the XTS all have awkward design elements that I don't care for. From some angles they look okay, but not so good from other angles.
    The SS looks Good from nearly all Views, except the front which is too conservative (bland?) For my tastes.
    The SS is overpriced now, but should be a good CPO choice in a Year or So

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

There seems to be no issue w/ build-up for GM GDI engines.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast