Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    The Aura XR does 100 in 15.3 and the Sonata in 15.1. Not a huge difference, but that's where the 274 HP pays dividends. Oh, and the ball of fire was a joke, lol. Can the new Sonata eat an LX Hemi? The Malibu should however beat a Fusion Sport right?
    Nah. Even the old Hemis would clip under 14 seconds in the quarter. R&T tested the new Charger and ran a 13.7 @ 104 if I recall correctly. The closest midsize family sedans I can think of in comparison are the old Mazdaspeed 6 and the present day Camry V-6, both running near-100 mph quarters just like the Sonata but at 14 flat in the MS6 and 14.3 in the Camry. There might be something I'm forgetting that's about as quick, but nothing I can remember that would beat a new LX Hemi.

Malibu will eat up a Fusion Sport (either FWD or AWD), yes.

Interesting...
    Indeed. As I'm sure he would've gone on to say, forced inducted engines suffer less from high altitude than a naturally aspirated engine does.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,623 Times in 4,605 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Nah. Even the old Hemis would clip under 14 seconds in the quarter. R&T tested the new Charger and ran a 13.7 @ 104 if I recall correctly. The closest midsize family sedans I can think of in comparison are the old Mazdaspeed 6 and the present day Camry V-6, both running near-100 mph quarters just like the Sonata but at 14 flat in the MS6 and 14.3 in the Camry. There might be something I'm forgetting that's about as quick, but nothing I can remember that would beat a new LX Hemi.

Indeed. As I'm sure he would've gone on to say, forced inducted engines suffer less from high altitude than a naturally aspirated engine does.
    Camry V6s are very quick cars. Much to the chagrin of Camry-no-likees. Oh well.

Yup, there's some reason piston aircraft engines are turbocharged or supercharged (fewer I believe).

I remember being at 10,000' in an old GM 455 Poncho wagon. Car almost got stuck in a rut. Not because the wheels were spinning, but because they would hardly turn.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,544 Times in 3,773 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    It won't be eating any HEMIs anytime soon. MT clocked the 2011 300C at 14.0 sec in the quarter. It won't beat the Chrysler 200 either which does 14.9 sec in the quarter.

Source data:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ted/specs.html

The new 300C is a nice car. If I were to buy one, I'd wait for the 8 speed.

The old LX Hemi's usually ran low to mid 14's IIRC. Then again, every run is affected by weather, driver, etc. It's a low 14 car, IIRC. The thing I don't get is why the Malibu is faster than a Fusion Sport. I wish Chevy had made a Malibu SS with the 3.6 SIDI.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

I remember being at 10,000' in an old GM 455 Poncho wagon. Car almost got stuck in a rut. Not because the wheels were spinning, but because they would hardly turn.

Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

The old LX Hemi's usually ran low to mid 14's IIRC. Then again, every run is affected by weather, driver, etc. It's a low 14 car, IIRC. The thing I don't get is why the Malibu is faster than a Fusion Sport. I wish Chevy had made a Malibu SS with the 3.6 SIDI.
    I think I was the one that showed you that.

Most any LX Hemi run was a low-14 second quarter at 102 or so, which leads the very fastest Camry times we've seen (which traditionally are mid-high 14s, the very best being 14.3 seconds). And remember the video posted is of the standard 5.7L, not the VVT version with ~30 horsepower more that came in the LXs starting for 2009.

But there's no denying the Camry's outright speed!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

I think I was the one that showed you that.

Most any LX Hemi run was a low-14 second quarter at 102 or so, which leads the very fastest Camry times we've seen (which traditionally are mid-high 14s, the very best being 14.3 seconds). And remember the video posted is of the standard 5.7L, not the VVT version with ~30 horsepower more that came in the LXs starting for 2009.

But there's no denying the Camry's outright speed!

Well played Amphibian, well played. But shouldn't a Fusion Sport beat a Malibu V6? More power and less weight should make it faster right?
    Current:

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

If anyone is doubting the new Sonata turbos power look at this video and quit comparing numbers on a piece of paper. This race is done from a from a roll which eliminates traction/driver issues and pretty much shows who has more hp.

Most people seem to think the Grand Prix's supercharged 3.8 is the second coming of the LS family so this video is pretty shocking since the GP is slightly modded with a smaller pulley and supporting mods.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I love the looks of the new Sonatas and am anxious to see the radically re-nosed hybrid. Plus it seems to be a truly quality car for its price range.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,623 Times in 4,605 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    If anyone is doubting the new Sonata turbos power look at this video and quit comparing numbers on a piece of paper. This race is done from a from a roll which eliminates traction/driver issues and pretty much shows who has more hp.

Most people seem to think the Grand Prix's supercharged 3.8 is the second coming of the LS family so this video is pretty shocking since the GP is slightly modded with a smaller pulley and supporting mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUDKsZXwI4
    Holy crap, that's some Opti-ass-stompin' going on there! Oops, I mean Sonatass-stompin.

GP needs to start from about a 20 roll in first gear.

Love that supercharger whine, though.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-14-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Holy crap, that's some Opti-ass-stompin' going on there! Oops, I mean Sonatass-stompin.

GP needs to start from about a 20 roll in first gear.

Love that supercharger whine, though.
    I know, it is pretty shocking even when the GP got the jump. We all know the outrageous torque the supercharged GP puts down and then when you add a smaller 3.5" pulley and the Sonata still comes back around and walks away.

Totally agree that a 20mph roll would be much better for the GP but the final outcome would be the same, it might just take a bit longer.

That 3.5" sure does make that supercharger whine!

Thanks

Holy crap! That GTP is supposedly 275 Whp and it still loses badly. That Sonata is a ROCKET.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

I wouldn't doubt the Hyundai 2.0T. It's leagues ahead of GM's in terms of power and behavior. I wonder what the updated GM 2.0T's stats will be...
    Current:

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Holy crap! That GTP is supposedly 275 Whp and it still loses badly. That Sonata is a ROCKET.
    That GTP doesn't have 275 wheel hp because it comes with 260 crank hp from the factory and a 3.5" pulley upgrade is the mildest you can do. I would say it might have 275hp at the crank and not at the wheels which would seem to be a good race but it's not.

With 91 octane the Sonata has made 234WHP and 239lb-ft of torque at the wheels with a crank rating of 274hp.
    Last edited by big swede; 03-14-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    That GTP doesn't have 275 wheel hp because it comes with 260 crank hp from the factory and a 3.5" pulley upgrade is the mildest you can do. I would say it might have 275hp at the crank and not at the wheels which would seem to be a good race but it's not.

With 91 octane the Sonata has made 234WHP and 239lb-ft of torque at the wheels with a crank rating of 274hp.
    His other video with a dyno says 275 fwhp, although that's in the title and I didn't watch it so I don't know.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

His other video with a dyno says 275 fwhp, although that's in the title and I didn't watch it so I don't know.
    Yeah I think he is another one of these guys that don't get the differance between WHP and Crank HP.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I got lucky here and found something without searching for more than 3 minutes:

We hit the test track then dug through our archive of comparison tests to find out.
    With a 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds and quarter mile of 15.0 seconds at 94.7 mph, the Sonata 2.0T is legitimately quick. But the big surprise is how it completely embarrasses the all-new 2011 Buick Regal CXL. That premium-priced, turbo 2.0-liter is a full second behind at 60 mph and needs 15.7 seconds and 92.8 mph to finish the quarter mile.
    The Sonata turbo is also faster than the V-6 Ford Fusion Sport (6.8 sec/15.2 sec @ 94.0 mph) and splits times with the V-6 Honda Accord EX-L (6.5 sec/15.5 sec @ 95.5 mph), V-6 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ (6.5 sec/15.1 sec @ 93.7 mph) and Passat 2.0T (6.7 sec/15.0 sec @ 93.4 mph). Those times were pulled from comparison tests we did in the February 2008 and June 2008 issues.
    The Sonata turbo does not fare quite so well against its other V-6 rivals, however. Though the Sonata recently passed the Altima for the number-three spot in segment sales, the Nissan isn't that easy to pass on the road. The V-6-powered Altima SE we tested back in 2008 needed only 6.3 seconds to hit 60 and 14.8 seconds and 96.1 mph for the quarter mile.
    The Toyota Camry is faster still -- a 2007 SE model we tested laid down a 6.3-second blast to 60 and a 14.6-second quarter mile at 96.8 mph.

http://ettleson-hyundai.blogspot.com...ta-20t-is.html
    The Regal GS should challenge these cars when it hits the streets but it will outclass every one of these cars in terms of handling and driving dynamics.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information