Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,719 Times in 4,661 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U. View Post
    What scares me is those are the things they cheaped out on that you can see. What did they cheap out on that you can't see?
    Everyone cuts costs when and where they can. Except Rolls Royce, Maybach, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ElmerMCR View Post
    Couldn't that argument be used for a majority of auto manufacturers? Nothing very much scary about mid grade interior materials to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I might have to try it out. The Kia dealer did have some new Optimas in stock but no turbo models.
    Local guy has yet to see a turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    Drove both a 2.0T Harbor gray Sonata with $2600 Nav/roof/sound system upgrade and floormats/ipod cable that stickered for 27715 and a crystal red 2LT Cruze loaded with roof/full size spare, 17" alloys, RS pkg, NAV/sound system and 2LT pkg that stickered for a shocking 26690, both at the same dealer. The Cruze was on sale for 25515 and the Sonata was 24999 with an additional 500 off if you show an in- household registration of another Hyundai model to the dealer meaning the Sonata turbo would have been 24499.

The 2.0 liter turbo never reminded us of a V6 in the sound department but it's performance and fuel mileage were best in class for sure. We also noticed the torque steer somewhat in the midrange when all 274 horses were called on but it wasn't severe. The transmission was light years better than the terrible 6 speed in the Cruze and the poor 1.4 turbo doesn't even come close to feeling as powerful as even the base Sonata 200 HP SE we drove a few weeks before or the 2011 Optima for that matter. We liked the steering in the Cruze better and that car felt a tad more agile but the Sonata more than made up with it's more comfy seats, far greater back seat legroom, greater stretch out space and larger trunk. Both cars were equipped with Nav and sound system upgrade. We didn't mess with the Nav too much but sampled each sound system and each sounded very good with the 360 watt Dimension system in the Hyundai sounding a tad crisper at half volume compared to the Pioneer 250 watt setup in the Cruze. Both cars had a power driver seat but it was 6-way in the Cruze and 8-way in the Sonata. The Cruze countered with leather seats compared to the Sonata which used cloth middle inserts.

Ironically both cars turned in nearly identical MPG numbers from the trip computers on the same exact route at 26.4 MPG with mid 20's temps. Not to turn this into a direct comparison of two different cars but the cheaper car ends up being the far better choice in our eyes.
    Those price points are pretty amazing. KIA offers $500 active duty military, competitor, and KIA-owner discounts, good through April 4. I'd be eligible for two of those, and IIRC could get a turbo (EX, not SX) for perhaps $23,200 (assuming a $1000-off sticker negotiation). Better drive one first.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,560 Times in 3,774 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Isn't the current Malibu 3.6 faster than the Sonata Turbo?
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    I got lucky here and found something without searching for more than 3 minutes:

We hit the test track then dug through our archive of comparison tests to find out.
    With a 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds and quarter mile of 15.0 seconds at 94.7 mph, the Sonata 2.0T is legitimately quick. But the big surprise is how it completely embarrasses the all-new 2011 Buick Regal CXL. That premium-priced, turbo 2.0-liter is a full second behind at 60 mph and needs 15.7 seconds and 92.8 mph to finish the quarter mile.
    The Sonata turbo is also faster than the V-6 Ford Fusion Sport (6.8 sec/15.2 sec @ 94.0 mph) and splits times with the V-6 Honda Accord EX-L (6.5 sec/15.5 sec @ 95.5 mph), V-6 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ (6.5 sec/15.1 sec @ 93.7 mph) and Passat 2.0T (6.7 sec/15.0 sec @ 93.4 mph). Those times were pulled from comparison tests we did in the February 2008 and June 2008 issues.
    The Sonata turbo does not fare quite so well against its other V-6 rivals, however. Though the Sonata recently passed the Altima for the number-three spot in segment sales, the Nissan isn't that easy to pass on the road. The V-6-powered Altima SE we tested back in 2008 needed only 6.3 seconds to hit 60 and 14.8 seconds and 96.1 mph for the quarter mile.
    The Toyota Camry is faster still -- a 2007 SE model we tested laid down a 6.3-second blast to 60 and a 14.6-second quarter mile at 96.8 mph.

http://ettleson-hyundai.blogspot.com...ta-20t-is.html
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Best times I've seen for an Epsilon I V-6 compared to the best times I've seen for the HK GDI Turbo twins are below. Vehicles specifically were the Saturn Aura XR and Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T.

GM 3.6L :: HK 2.0T
    0-60: 6.2 :: 6.2
    0-100: 16.6 :: 15.1
    Quarter Mile: 14.9 @ 95 : 14.7 @ 99

Looks as though the Hyundai-Kia 2.0Ts are quicker overall, but quite similar in what you might call a "stoplight" drag race.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Best times I've seen for an Epsilon I V-6 compared to the best times I've seen for the HK GDI Turbo twins are below. Vehicles specifically were the Saturn Aura XR and Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T.

Looks as though the Hyundai-Kia 2.0Ts are quicker overall, but quite similar in what you might call a "stoplight" drag race.
    If you want to clean up with the turbo, race at 9000'.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,671 Times in 2,632 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

The other issue is that the 2.0T pretty much destroys the MPG of the 3.6 V6.

22/33 vs 17/26
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride

22/33 vs 17/26
    Rather. Jeez, that 3.6 is hardly better than my Poncho 5.3.

And I'll take the 325 lb-ft of torque, if I have to eat it in the MPG department, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-13-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks

22/33 vs 17/26
    That's terrible mileage. That mileage is comparable to V-8/twin-turbo V-6 versions of the Charger, Taurus, and Genesis. Even a big Avalon will clean up shop at 19/29 or 20/29, whatever it is rated for.

But I fully expect the 12 Malibu to do better, as the LaCrosse FWD/3.6L combo already is good for 17/27.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I got lucky here and found something without searching for more than 3 minutes:

We hit the test track then dug through our archive of comparison tests to find out.
    With a 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds and quarter mile of 15.0 seconds at 94.7 mph, the Sonata 2.0T is legitimately quick. But the big surprise is how it completely embarrasses the all-new 2011 Buick Regal CXL. That premium-priced, turbo 2.0-liter is a full second behind at 60 mph and needs 15.7 seconds and 92.8 mph to finish the quarter mile.
    The Sonata turbo is also faster than the V-6 Ford Fusion Sport (6.8 sec/15.2 sec @ 94.0 mph) and splits times with the V-6 Honda Accord EX-L (6.5 sec/15.5 sec @ 95.5 mph), V-6 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ (6.5 sec/15.1 sec @ 93.7 mph) and Passat 2.0T (6.7 sec/15.0 sec @ 93.4 mph). Those times were pulled from comparison tests we did in the February 2008 and June 2008 issues.
    The Sonata turbo does not fare quite so well against its other V-6 rivals, however. Though the Sonata recently passed the Altima for the number-three spot in segment sales, the Nissan isn't that easy to pass on the road. The V-6-powered Altima SE we tested back in 2008 needed only 6.3 seconds to hit 60 and 14.8 seconds and 96.1 mph for the quarter mile.
    The Toyota Camry is faster still -- a 2007 SE model we tested laid down a 6.3-second blast to 60 and a 14.6-second quarter mile at 96.8 mph.

http://ettleson-hyundai.blogspot.com...ta-20t-is.html

I read a Road and Track review of an LTZ road test...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...let-malibu-ltz

Aura XR did it in 5.9 and the LTZ in 6.0 flat...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...let-malibu-ltz
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/up...saturn-aura-xr

If you want to clean up with the turbo, race at 9000'.

Bye bye Sonata!

22/33 vs 17/26

My friends Aura XR regularly gets 36 on the freeway. It's the city that rapes him.

That's terrible mileage. That mileage is comparable to V-8/twin-turbo V-6 versions of the Charger, Taurus, and Genesis. Even a big Avalon will clean up shop at 19/29 or 20/29, whatever it is rated for.

But I fully expect the 12 Malibu to do better, as the LaCrosse FWD/3.6L combo already is good for 17/27.

But the LaCrosse isn't really a ball of fire... (Like the Malibu is )
    Current:

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Saturn Aura 3.6 was a nice car. I like it better than the turbo sonata. I'm sort of disappointed that the 274hp vehicle is not faster.

Just an opinion but still a nice car.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,671 Times in 2,632 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

36 MPG out of the V6 Aura? Is he using imperial gallons or going 55 MPH?
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks

I read a Road and Track review of an LTZ road test...

But the LaCrosse isn't really a ball of fire... (Like the Malibu is )
    Interesting. The Malibu still loses after 60 mph or so, but that's pretty good nonethless. The problem is that the Malibu is well down on horsepower and weighs a good bit more. It's got a clean start that keeps it in the hunt to 60 mph and a similar or better quarter, but it is losing ground fast at that point (Malibu is no where near the near-100 mph trap of the Sonata, much less being three quarters of a second slower to 100 mph).

Ball of fire? I don't follow.

Thanks
    My Ride

Bye bye Sonata!
    Actually the turbos will clean up at high altitude. Naturally aspirated have huge power losses at altitude.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

36 MPG out of the V6 Aura? Is he using imperial gallons or going 55 MPH?

On flat land going around 60-65, yes. Going 75+, no. The V6 Epsilons are only good on the interstate in the MPG department.

Interesting. The Malibu still loses after 60 mph or so, but that's pretty good nonethless. The problem is that the Malibu is well down on horsepower and weighs a good bit more. It's got a clean start that keeps it in the hunt to 60 mph and a similar or better quarter, but it is losing ground fast at that point (Malibu is no where near the near-100 mph trap of the Sonata, much less being three quarters of a second slower to 100 mph).

Ball of fire? I don't follow.

The Aura XR does 100 in 15.3 and the Sonata in 15.1. Not a huge difference, but that's where the 274 HP pays dividends. Oh, and the ball of fire was a joke, lol. Can the new Sonata eat an LX Hemi? The Malibu should however beat a Fusion Sport right?

Actually the turbos will clean up at high altitude. Naturally aspirated have huge power losses at altitude.

Interesting...
    Current:

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks

The Aura XR does 100 in 15.3 and the Sonata in 15.1. Not a huge difference, but that's where the 274 HP pays dividends. Oh, and the ball of fire was a joke, lol. Can the new Sonata eat an LX Hemi? The Malibu should however beat a Fusion Sport right?
    It won't be eating any HEMIs anytime soon. MT clocked the 2011 300C at 14.0 sec in the quarter. It won't beat the Chrysler 200 either which does 14.9 sec in the quarter.

Source data:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/specs.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ted/specs.html
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information