Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Re: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

Shame.

Have you drove a turbo model yet? Id think you'd like it as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Shame.

Have you drove a turbo model yet? Id think you'd like it as well.
    I have not. I'll probably test one at some point just for kicks.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Like I said, I think you would enjoy it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

but I really wanted to get behind the wheel of the 2.0T. Ive driven a Gen Coupe with the same power train
    gotta call you on that. The Genesis uses a Theta One 2.0 Turbo.

The Sonata uses a Theta 2---alot of changes were made.

I'd like to to take out Optima..whenever they get here. And a 2012 Genesis with the Theta 2 Turbo and 6 speed auto
    Proud Pontiac Owner
    2004 Grand Am SE V6 with 1SB package. Faster then my 2,4L Cobalt auto was! More fun to drive too.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Whats different about the two? I had no idea the two engines were that vastly different.

I do know one thing, trying to find specifics about Hyundai cars are pretty hard.

EDIT: NVM, found it. Direct injection, twin-scroll, and reinforced pistons and connecting rods. Basically, aside from the direct injection, just things needed to support the dual scroll turbo.

Thanks

Whats different about the two? I had no idea the two engines were that vastly different.

I do know one thing, trying to find specifics about Hyundai cars are pretty hard.

EDIT: NVM, found it. Direct injection, twin-scroll, and reinforced pistons and connecting rods. Basically, aside from the direct injection, just things needed to support the dual scroll turbo.
    and a balance shaft! The 2.0 Theta one is ROUGH! Who the heck builds a 4cly without a balance shaft?

These were changed too--unique block, valvetrain, front end accessory drive (FEAD), intake manifold, , crankshaft, variable induction system and catalyst
    Last edited by avro206; 01-14-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    Proud Pontiac Owner
    2004 Grand Am SE V6 with 1SB package. Faster then my 2,4L Cobalt auto was! More fun to drive too.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Yea, i just literally read that. I had to pour through about 5 forums to just find that.

Ive now have come to the conclusion that the Gen Coupe would be awesome with this updates. lol

Thanks

As I understand it the GDI Turbo is not related to the 2.0T in the Genesis Coupe, which has some of its roots with Mitsubishi. As someone else suggested, you should try the Optima SX and see if its sportier tune is to your liking or if even that doesn't go far enough.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I might have to try it out. The Kia dealer did have some new Optimas in stock but no turbo models.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,280 Times in 3,509 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I have always said, the Malibu V6 is best in class.. still is..

Thanks

Meh, I like the Mazda 6s GT. Too bad its mileage sucks. If I was shopping for a new family sedan I'd probably buy the Hyundai-Kia.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

As far as the suspension, its unchanged between the 2.4 and 2.0T models which is quite sad actually. Only difference is the SE gets dual exhaust and bigger wheels with stickier rubber. It handles pretty good but our Malibu felt better around town to me.
    The SE does get a little bit sportier suspension tuning than the other Sonata trims, but not really enough of a diff. to satisfy those wanting a sportier drive (well, for a FWD midsize).

The Optima in SX trim is the way to go - not only is the suspension tuned for a sportier ride, but the steering feel is quite a bit better than the rather non-communicative steering of the Sonata.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Drove both a 2.0T Harbor gray Sonata with $2600 Nav/roof/sound system upgrade and floormats/ipod cable that stickered for 27715 and a crystal red 2LT Cruze loaded with roof/full size spare, 17" alloys, RS pkg, NAV/sound system and 2LT pkg that stickered for a shocking 26690, both at the same dealer. The Cruze was on sale for 25515 and the Sonata was 24999 with an additional 500 off if you show an in- household registration of another Hyundai model to the dealer meaning the Sonata turbo would have been 24499.

The 2.0 liter turbo never reminded us of a V6 in the sound department but it's performance and fuel mileage were best in class for sure. We also noticed the torque steer somewhat in the midrange when all 274 horses were called on but it wasn't severe. The transmission was light years better than the terrible 6 speed in the Cruze and the poor 1.4 turbo doesn't even come close to feeling as powerful as even the base Sonata 200 HP SE we drove a few weeks before or the 2011 Optima for that matter. We liked the steering in the Cruze better and that car felt a tad more agile but the Sonata more than made up with it's more comfy seats, far greater back seat legroom, greater stretch out space and larger trunk. Both cars were equipped with Nav and sound system upgrade. We didn't mess with the Nav too much but sampled each sound system and each sounded very good with the 360 watt Dimension system in the Hyundai sounding a tad crisper at half volume compared to the Pioneer 250 watt setup in the Cruze. Both cars had a power driver seat but it was 6-way in the Cruze and 8-way in the Sonata. The Cruze countered with leather seats compared to the Sonata which used cloth middle inserts.

Ironically both cars turned in nearly identical MPG numbers from the trip computers on the same exact route at 26.4 MPG with mid 20's temps. Not to turn this into a direct comparison of two different cars but the cheaper car ends up being the far better choice in our eyes.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

For me, the Cruze wins because it was levels quieter especially on the concrete roads around here. I test drove both pretty much back to back and was really surprised at how well the Cruze handled the NVH.

I will agree with the steering. The Sonata felt really numb even with the SE. The on center feel is just strange. Its hard to describe unless you feel it.

The Cruze I test drove had the updated TCM firmware in it. Id confirm if the one you test drove had it as well. Supposedly, it makes a huge difference. Im not sure when the update was applied but your dealer should know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    Drove both a 2.0T Harbor gray Sonata with $2600 Nav/roof/sound system upgrade and floormats/ipod cable that stickered for 27715 and a crystal red 2LT Cruze loaded with roof/full size spare, 17" alloys, RS pkg, NAV/sound system and 2LT pkg that stickered for a shocking 26690, both at the same dealer. The Cruze was on sale for 25515 and the Sonata was 24999 with an additional 500 off if you show an in- household registration of another Hyundai model to the dealer meaning the Sonata turbo would have been 24499.
    Interesting and shocking on the prices.

I know Canadian cars are sometimes differently equipped, even under the same trim levels.

I get a price of $33,499 Sonata 2.0T Limited (Nav and sunroof, loaded)

and $28,880 for an almost loaded Cruze 2LT RS. Way too much for 138hp!!!
    That kind of cash better bring 200 or better HP.

In CDN terms I like the Sonatas price--but I'd skip the nav and sunroof---drops it too 28,999----you can't buy a more powerful car--or even a V6 compeitor in Canada for the same or less.
    Proud Pontiac Owner

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information