Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,671 Times in 2,632 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

Now, I have driven the regular Sonata before and knew how the car drove and felt but I really wanted to get behind the wheel of the 2.0T. Ive driven a Gen Coupe with the same power train but it still had the really wonky transmission tune in it and it really stole the fun from the car.

The Sonata I drove stickered for $25,445.

Im really not going to talk much about the interior. Having owned an 08 Malibu LTZ, I will say that it was a step above that. The materials, while not great feeling certainly looked much better. I really enjoyed the seats though. Having cloth in the middle and leatherette on the outside, is a really good idea.

Onto the drive. When we first started the car, it idled around 2k RPM until it got a few ticks up on the temp gauge. It was noticeable that it was a turbo car and it did sound like an I4. After it warmed up for a few minutes the car settled in around 900 RPM and became quiet.

Pulling out of the dealers, the TQ is immediately noticeable. It simply feels like a mid-sized V6. There is literally no turbo whine under normal acceleration. That doesnt mean there isnt noise though. The engine emits a faintly noticeable groan when accelerating but its not enough to make it a concern, its just there.

As you would expect there is TQ steer on the car however its not where you think it would be at. Most FWD higher HP cars tend to jerk the wheel in the lower RPM but with the Sonata its in the midrange where it happens the most. Around 3000 RPM and under hard acceleration the wheel just tends to pull to right. Its not hard to fight or predict but it is surprising to find it in the middle of the RPMs.

Where the car really shines is when you put it into select shift mode. The shift paddles are placed in a great location behind the wheel and are easy to operate. Under heavy acceleration the RPMs will climb effortlessly and before you know it, you have to hit the upshift paddle. The high RPM power is there and then you hear it, the turbo whine. Its almost too quiet at full throttle for my tastes honestly. I had to roll down the window just a tad to get a taste of it.

Getting on the interstate is a fun affair in the Sonata turbo. Just roll into the throttle and the car really responds. It didnt hesitate to downshift and when you really want power, the car was very quick to give it to you. Its not a rocket but it certainly feels faster than anything in its segment Ive driven.

In the end, the car has its faults, even the salesmen admitted that some things are left cheap to achieve the price, but with the 2.0T under the hood its very easy to forget those faults.

Has any other GMI members taken them for a drive? What did you think about it?
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ANT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

Re: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE

Im interested in what the salesman said, what did he say the cheaped out on? How did it handle (not that you autocrossed it) just driving around town?

Thanks
    My Ride

The dash for one. While it looks good and it has a great grain to it, its hollow to its core. It easily transmits noises especially the fan noise from the HVAC.

Another place is sound deadening. The car just allows too much noise in especially wind noise at 70-75.

And, as weird as this sounds, the rearview mirror screams old Hyundai.

As far as the suspension, its unchanged between the 2.4 and 2.0T models which is quite sad actually. Only difference is the SE gets dual exhaust and bigger wheels with stickier rubber. It handles pretty good but our Malibu felt better around town to me.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ANT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    The dash for one. While it looks good and it has a great grain to it, its hollow to its core. It easily transmits noises especially the fan noise from the HVAC.

Another place is sound deadening. The car just allows too much noise in especially wind noise at 70-75.

As far as the suspension, its unchanged between the 2.4 and 2.0T models which is quite sad actually. Only difference is the SE gets dual exhaust and bigger wheels with stickier rubber. It handles pretty good but our Malibu felt better around town to me.
    cool thank you, I have only been in the sonata once, never got to drive it tho.
    I have to say, I had to rent a Malibu when some guy almost totaled my car, it drove really nice I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled.

Thanks
    My Ride

Yea, the current Malibu stacks up very nicely against the Sonata. Honestly, I would get the 2.0T like I drove today. The V6 Malibu also matches it but the Sonata destroys it in MPG.

Next gen Malibu is going to be very interesting. If GM gives us a good turbo engine that can match the Sonata, it will beat it.

Oh, when I walked out to the car, I told the salesguy that he had to get me the ugliest color that really shows off the frown at the rear of the car and he completely agreed. The Sonata really looks good in the dark blue color. It hides all the weird shapes really good.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Nice review bballr. I've not driven the turbo Sonata, but I have driven a base GLS, and it's a nice piece of machinery for the price being asked.
    Last edited by tbirderic; 01-14-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks

What scares me is those are the things they cheaped out on that you can see. What did they cheap out on that you can't see?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by W.A.F.U. View Post
    What scares me is those are the things they cheaped out on that you can see. What did they cheap out on that you can't see?
    Couldn't that argument be used for a majority of auto manufacturers? Nothing very much scary about mid grade interior materials to me...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Actually the SE does get some other upgrades, such as "sport seats" (though I don't know how sporty they actually are), sport suspension, sport steering, enlarged stabilizer bars, etc. Not that any of this makes it a legitimate sport sedan, even by FWD standards, but yeah.

Nice review.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Actually the SE does get some other upgrades, such as "sport seats" (though I don't know how sporty they actually are), sport suspension, sport steering, enlarged stabilizer bars, etc. Not that any of this makes it a legitimate sport sedan, even by FWD standards, but yeah.

Nice review.
    I looked it up and you are right. I was thinking about just the 2.0T. However, I cant find any actual spec differences. Do you have a specific list of the changes?

Regardless, even with everything changed it still felt the same to me aside from a stiffer ride which I attributed to the 18" wheels when last time I drove one, it had the 16" ones.

The sport seats really arent sporty. They were good because they had cloth centers, which hold you in way better than leather can ever thing about, but they lacked bolster support.

Seriously, the 2.4 is a good engine in the car but the 2.0T makes this a very, very good car. If they fixed a few of the "Hyundai" things, it would be the #1 car in the segment no questions asked.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I test drove one last weekend while my Saturn was being serviced...this one stickered at $23,500 and had a big "$22,500" in numbers on the windshield.

I thought the car was incredibly nice for the price asked...I will say that if you are any taller than 5'10", you're not going to be very comfortable in the back seat because your head will be up against the headliner. However, up front there is plenty of room (I also sat in one that did have the sunroof and it still had plenty of room).

It was pretty easy to see why this car sells so well...you get a lot of car for not a lot of money.
    In my garage:

2006 Pontiac GTO
    2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
    2012 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT
    2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Thanks
    My Ride

Yea, Im 6'6" so im used to cars becoming 3 passenger cars when I drive and if I dont drive, Im uncomfortable in most front passenger seats.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks

I looked it up and you are right. I was thinking about just the 2.0T. However, I cant find any actual spec differences. Do you have a specific list of the changes?

Regardless, even with everything changed it still felt the same to me aside from a stiffer ride which I attributed to the 18" wheels when last time I drove one, it had the 16" ones.

The sport seats really arent sporty. They were good because they had cloth centers, which hold you in way better than leather can ever thing about, but they lacked bolster support.

Seriously, the 2.4 is a good engine in the car but the 2.0T makes this a very, very good car. If they fixed a few of the "Hyundai" things, it would be the #1 car in the segment no questions asked.
    It's on Hyundai's site if you specifically select the SE trim. I can C/P it if you like.

Thanks
    My Ride

Ive seen it but it doesnt give the specifics, just that it has different sways and so on.

This is it right?

Endless tweaking transformed the Sonata into the sport-tuned SE. Modified suspension and steering deliver a sportier ride and increased steering response. Larger stabilizer bars reduce body roll and improve handling on curves. A stylish dual exhaust makes the most of either the 2.4L or the 2.0T, while paddle shifters mounted on the leather-wrapped steering wheel put it all at the driver’s fingertips.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks

Ive seen it but it doesnt give the specifics, just that it has different sways and so on.

This is it right?
    Indeed. I haven't read specifics elsewhere either, sorry.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information