The Honda Odyssey thread

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Honda Odyssey thread

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

The Honda Odyssey thread

Spending a week in this fully-loaded Touring Elite model. Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,032 Times in 3,397 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: The Honda Odyssey thread

Give me a Chrysler minivan. This thing is for those who have given up on risk, completely

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bradyholt View Post
    Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for?
    Non-offensive aesthetics. Let us know if you find any.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Best minivan in the class IMO.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Best minivan in the class IMO.
    Except it is not really a 'mini' van. Also just curious have you driven both the new Chrysler and the Honda? Or is your statement based on reviews you have read?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Except it is not really a 'mini' van. Also just curious have you driven both the new Chrysler and the Honda? Or is your statement based on reviews you have read?
    They are "minivans" even if they aren't "mini" anymore. It's just the way it is.

No, just the 08-10 T&C, which was actually GC, but the same nonetheless. Compared to the 05 Odyssey I drove, it was no contest, so being that the T&C is heavily facelifted while the Honda was redesigned ... you get my drift, lol.

The T&C is now competitive, no doubt about it. The best? No. I sat in the new one at the autoshow and its interior is now competitive, wayyy better than the Toyota. It still trails the Quest and Odyssey though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Indeed, all entries in the U.S. market "minivan" segment are what were formerly referred to as extended length. They're not so "mini" anymore!

I await bradyholt's review, though I do agree with Amphibian having driven the Odyssey Touring Elite myself along with a Chrysler T&C Limited, Nissan Quest SL, and Toyota Sienna XLE.

The Odyssey's powertrain in particular is superb - an impressive combination of smoothness, responsivness, and efficiency none of the other vans could match.

btw bradyholt, I'm interested in the fuel economy figures you achieve driving the Odyssey. I got about 26 mpg over a 58 mi. trip (60% highway, 40% urban/suburban roads).
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

Thanks

Speaking of the Odyssey's powertrain, I was surprised at its performance numbers considering its horsepower rating is well down on Toyota and Chrysler entries.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Speaking of the Odyssey's powertrain, I was surprised at its performance numbers considering its horsepower rating is well down on Toyota and Chrysler entries.
    I agree, that and it gets much better gas mileage....but thats only on the upper trim levels that come with the 6 speed automatic.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    Indeed, all entries in the U.S. market "minivan" segment are what were formerly referred to as extended length. They're not so "mini" anymore!

I await bradyholt's review, though I do agree with Amphibian having driven the Odyssey Touring Elite myself along with a Chrysler T&C Limited, Nissan Quest SL, and Toyota Sienna XLE.

The Odyssey's powertrain in particular is superb - an impressive combination of smoothness, responsivness, and efficiency none of the other vans could match.

btw bradyholt, I'm interested in the fuel economy figures you achieve driving the Odyssey. I got about 26 mpg over a 58 mi. trip (60% highway, 40% urban/suburban roads).
    I have a review from an earlier test drive:
    http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-nat...-touring-elite

I'm planning to drive the competing vans tomorrow morning, but although clearly none of the other vans matches the Odyssey mileage, the Honda's engine isn't striking me as a standout for refinement or power. I'll see if that recollection survives the back-to-back drives.

For mileage, so far the trip computer is reporting 24 mpg in almost all urban/suburban driving. Did yours have the six-speed? (this one does)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

I figure anyone shopping for minivans is very practical and really needs the passenger seating. With that in mind, crash safety is important. But to my knowledge, only two of the 2011 vans have been subjected to the new, harder US government crash tests: the Odyssey and the Sienna. The Odyssey got 5 stars overall, the Sienna got 3. ( EDIT: Yet again, bradyholt has found a factual error in one of my posts. The Sienna has a four star overall rating, it got three stars in front impacts but five in side impacts. I apologize for misleading anyone. )

If I was voting with my dollars today, that would be enough to put me into the Odyssey.

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I agree, that and it gets much better gas mileage....but thats only on the upper trim levels that come with the 6 speed automatic.
    I think the Odyssey fuel economy is 18/27 base trims and 19/28 Touring ( $41,000+ ) and Touring Elite ( $43,000+ ).

So you pay through the nose if you want the best fuel economy, but even the entry level is pretty good.
    Last edited by Michael_S; 04-24-2011 at 10:03 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,131 Times in 4,375 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Don't forget the KIA Sedona. It, too, is a minivan.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    I figure anyone shopping for minivans is very practical and really needs the passenger seating. With that in mind, crash safety is important. But to my knowledge, only two of the 2011 vans have been subjected to the new, harder US government crash tests: the Odyssey and the Sienna. The Odyssey got 5 stars overall, the Sienna got 3.

If I was voting with my dollars today, that would be enough to put me into the Odyssey.
    The Sienna actually got three stars frontal / five stars side / four stars overall. Four stars is the typical score among the vehicles (of other classes) in the test. Its one weak score was for the front passenger.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Oh man this is fantastic, I can't wait to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
    Damn, if only I could be as cool as plane...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

There's currently a big minivan vote going on here:
    http://www.whatwouldyouratherdrive.com/

What would YOU rather drive?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast