GM Main Street Test Drive Event

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM Main Street Test Drive Event

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

GM Main Street Test Drive Event

Today my son and i attended a GM Main Street test drive event at Reliant Stadium in Houston. It was a nice event and had a variety of cars and trucks from Chevy, Buick, and GMC. No Cadillac vehicles were here. There were also competitor vehicles such as Tundra, Sequoia, Explorer, F250, F150, Taurus, several acuras, Sonata, and an ES350.

Some observations:

F250 and 2500- were very similar in ride but different in personality. F250 interior was much more "in your face" than the 2500.

Buick LaCross- very nice car and very peppy in the straightaway. Superior to the ES350.

Buick Regal Turbo- Nice interior with firm, sporty seating. However, a big disappointment in acceleration. When I floored it, i could literally count "1 thousand, 2 thousand" before the car responded. Very surprising and unacceptable. There may have been something wrong with the car as it took me 3 tries to start the engine when i first got in the car.

GMC Terrain- this was a 4 cyl and I was shocked at how quick it was. I thought maybe they gave me the 6 cyl model by mistake.

Tundra- interior very plain, but the 5.7 V8 was very quick. Did not like the instrument design at all with all the differenent sized gauges.

I didn't drive a Corvette or Camaro SS as the lines were too long. I did drive a Camaro V6 which was very nice.

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,333 Times in 4,132 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: GM Main Street Test Drive Event

Nice - GM should do a lot more of these events.

As far as the Regal with the 3 second pause - could be just the transmission. My Malibu LTZ 3.6 does the same - almost impossible to smoothly switch lanes in tight traffic on the highway because I don't know when the engine will kick in - to soon and I'll rear end the car in front of me, to late and I'll get rear ended as I merge into the other lane...

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

One more observation: from a very un-scientific observation of line lengths to gauge interest, the Explorer and Traverse had a lot of interest. The Sequoia too. Expedition had little interest, with the Tahoe somewhere in between

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I was at the same event, I enjoyed the ability to drive not only the GM cars, but to try the competitors cars as well for an immediate comparison. It shows the company's confidence to do that. I just wished the entry and waiting tents had portable air conditioners! (high in Houston that day 106)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,044 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I think you might have tried a buick Regal turbo that went into limp mode from prior driver abuse...

I drove the regal turbo and its acceleration was impressive...

Overall when the keys of the kingdom so to speak are handed over to so many people....who don't own the car etc... it can be brutal..
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Nice - GM should do a lot more of these events.

As far as the Regal with the 3 second pause - could be just the transmission. My Malibu LTZ 3.6 does the same - almost impossible to smoothly switch lanes in tight traffic on the highway because I don't know when the engine will kick in - to soon and I'll rear end the car in front of me, to late and I'll get rear ended as I merge into the other lane...
    I noted turbo lag on my friends fathers new Regal T with about 12K miles already on the odometer. You just don't get the emmediate torque response of a pushrod or well designed DOHC V6 here. Acceleration is adequate but in no way up to V6 levels or Hyundai/Kia 2.0 liter turbo levels for that matter. Neither is fuel economy. The absolute best he has seen is 28.1 on a pure highway trip with the automatic transmission. Around town or slightly aggressive throttle applications are met with dismal 20-21 MPG which I consider very poor for such a small engine. His former 2004 3500 V6 Malibu felt quicker down low, got better mileage and was a more smooth and tractable setup for everyday driving so it's obvious GM needs to do more work on this mill. Hopefully the 2013 Malibu with the new 250 HP version will be better.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    I noted turbo lag on my friends fathers new Regal T with about 12K miles already on the odometer. You just don't get the emmediate torque response of a pushrod or well designed DOHC V6 here. Acceleration is adequate but in no way up to V6 levels or Hyundai/Kia 2.0 liter turbo levels for that matter. Neither is fuel economy. The absolute best he has seen is 28.1 on a pure highway trip with the automatic transmission. Around town or slightly aggressive throttle applications are met with dismal 20-21 MPG which I consider very poor for such a small engine. His former 2004 3500 V6 Malibu felt quicker down low, got better mileage and was a more smooth and tractable setup for everyday driving so it's obvious GM needs to do more work on this mill. Hopefully the 2013 Malibu with the new 250 HP version will be better.
    Mine is still a few weeks old but I did not notice any hesitation and fuel economy is around 23 mpg combined, managed to get 32 mpg on the highway with no problem in moderate pace. This thing loves to go fast, turbo response and mid range acceleration are just fine, way more responsive than my old 3.8L Buick.

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

Sounds like GM did pretty well, hopefully the Regal issue was a fluke due to the number of people beating on it or something. Too bad you didn't get a chance to drive a Vette, that would be too awesome.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

I don't buy the story that the Regal didn't start due to abuse. My Malibu is treated like **** and driven hard (although I do use premium fuel) and seems to get stronger after every day.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

As of September 12, 2011, Main Street in Motion has been discontinued. Registrations for venues originally planned in the September and October timeframes, like Arlington Park in the Chicago area, will not be processed.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,044 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    As of September 12, 2011, Main Street in Motion has been discontinued. Registrations for venues originally planned in the September and October timeframes, like Arlington Park in the Chicago area, will not be processed.
    Thats really a shame..as I recently had the pleasure of attending one in NJ...

It was quite enlightening to many non GM owners...and of course us GM guys got to try a few cars out too..

I believe the expectation of immediate sales results probably had something to do with the cancelation.

Usually a move like this takes until the buyers next lease is up before and effect can be felt.. still it got a lot of people out and about to try different GM products against the competition..

When I signed up ..I signed up a buddy of mine who HATES AMERICAN BRANDED PRODUCT..and after the day was over....on his own...he stated he was dam impressed with what we drove...

Opened a few eyes to why I am such a GM fan....

Actually I wasn't always and it was the July 1998 DRIVE OF A LIFETIME where I was invited to drive the new for 1999 active handling 1999 C5 corvette coupe and convertible on an autox like course..

After doing that for the afternoon.. I thought about how much fun I had....and I ordered up from a dealer out in Long Island..

7 weeks later the car I ordered came in...and I've been buying not only corvettes over the past dozen years but three GMC and one cadillac CTS.

Was that ride of a lifetime paidback to GM for the cost of my participation? I'd say so..

But it did take 7 weeks for my vette to roll in and I didn't order from a local dealer as they were crooks.. so it may not even have tracked..

Sorry for the long story....and I'm sorry put an end to what was something I felt very beneficial. I drove both the regal turbo as well as the Volt. Am I buying either anytime soon? No but because my client trusts my opinion...he's already bought his wife the CTS when i bought mine and he's trusting me to lease the volt in a couple of days if we can find one or order one...

All because I test drove it at Mainstreet ....My enthusiasm because I drove the vehicles very interested to move forward

Too bad Mainstreet can't track that type of incremental sales ...

thanks for the information.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

GM did this in Y2000 and I went to one that was held at the old Tustin Air Base in California. I really thought it was a great way to test drive some cars without feeling any sales pressure.

I remember a few years ago looking for one of these shows and the website said "discontinued". Maybe it's like the McDonald's McRib... a promotion that reappears at unpredictable and inexplicable intervals...

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements