getting a new compact car

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting a new compact car

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

getting a new compact car

Its time again to replace one of our cars, we will be looking at some small cars in the next week or so taking a few test drives. Some of the cars we will be shopping for I have driven already, but a reminder when comparing them will be helpful. What we will be checking out:

Cruze, Mazda3, Corolla, Focus, Encore, Soul, Dart, Patriot. Hopefull I'll get to take the time to see all of them again. If the Jeep Renegade was available, it would be on the list also, but they aren't here yet.

Right now, my early thoughts on the lead choices would be the Cruze, Mazda 3, and Focus, but I'm going to try to at least sit in (if not drive) the others again.

If anyone is interested in any impressions, I will post them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Re: getting a new compact car

Cruze, Focus, and Mazda 3 are best is segment. Can't go wrong with either of them.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 910 Posts

I shopped a similar set of compact cars. We went with a Sonic LTZ over the Cruze and absolutely love it. A would suggest taking a look at the Sonic as well. The RS version is nice.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to posaune For This Useful Post:

Hitman1970 (09-28-2014),richmond2000 (09-28-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

I would have to throw the Golf in there because it's been getting rave reviews.

If you're on a tight budget there is a Golf Launch edition to celebrate the new platform (MK7) that starts in the $18k range and now comes with the 1.8 turbo instead of the boring naturally Aspirated 2.5.

Otherwise you can go up from there with a standard Golf, GTI or even the AWD R.
    Last edited by big swede; 09-28-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Buick Verano

Do not overlook the Buick Verano. The Verano rates just under the Audi A3 for thousands less. Consumer Reports rating.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 CX-5, '12 Chrysler 200

Quote Originally Posted by gorphil View Post
    Do not overlook the Buick Verano. The Verano rates just under the Audi A3 for thousands less. Consumer Reports rating.
    Our daughter looked very closely at a Verano before buying her focus, and I test drove it a few times. It is a very nice car, but just a bit too expensive and too far behind the others in fuel economy for us. I do know some people that own them and they like them a lot.
    Last edited by Smellhound; 09-28-2014 at 12:46 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,287 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

out of curiosity any reason the Impreza is NOT on your list? as I would consider the Impreza as a top runner EX if the Corolla makes the list and also the Honda FIT/Civic are worth a LOOK
    and where I like the CIVIC is on sale again making the price point pretty good

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 2,582 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    out of curiosity any reason the Impreza is NOT on your list? as I would consider the Impreza as a top runner EX if the Corolla makes the list and also the Honda FIT/Civic are worth a LOOK
    and where I like the CIVIC is on sale again making the price point pretty good
    I agree on the Impreza. The material quality isnt the best but they seem to last forever. Our local Subaru dealer is expanding into a new huge building and they cant kept them on the lot.

Fit is behind even with the new model. I was surprised at how cheap they are on the inside. Just bad. They pulled a Civic.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,541 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Check out the new 200. It's a bit bigger than the other cars you're looking at, but it's an excellent value and an overall excellent car. I was very impressed with it.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,599 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I would suggest leasing in this segment. If your in NY look up www.legendleasing.com

http://www.legendleasing.com/leases.asp

They have a 179 deal on nicely equipped honda civics...search under 200 a month and see what their specials are at this time.

If your in Florida and want to buy? I dig the sonic rs and the cruise. The ford fiesta and focus I would only get the ST versions which are manual only...

The new Chrysler 200 is a nice car as well. I like it.

Jmo

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 Times in 4,401 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Sonic bears a look I'd say.

http://www.sonicownersforum.com/forum/

The 200 of either generation is a fantastic bargain. Our 2011 V6 was an excellent car with only some trannie hiccups at low speed to muddy the experience.

I'm not thrilled with the 200 class-standard anonymous-swoopy styling. I believe the 200 would be far more attractive and certainly distinctive if they'd mirrored the 300 rather than the Dart.
    Go figure, I can't.

Personally I'd steer away from VW products. They get zinger reviews from time to time but those guys don't own them and pay for repairs four years later.

I like the tall wagons. A few years back I was a dedicated sedanite.
    The ease of ingress-egress, huge headspace, big interior space with similar dimensions to an Impala or Charger, higher sightline, and general extreme maneuverability and convenience mark this class.

I just don't like Soobies. I had a Forester rental some years back and it was an uncomfortable underpowered drone.

If the new Corolla is new and improved, it might be worth a look. The last model was singularly uninspired even for a workplace drone.

I'd have no problem buying a Civic. They have all the good qualities of a Soul except the roof is about 8" lower.

Mazda3 and Encore should prove interesting.

Drive a Soul, I'd recommend the middle + model. The 2.0 is plenty spunky and the 6A is a smooth reliable unit.

Looking forward to your write-ups. BRING EM ON!!

Roll to :22 sec

Last edited by Neanderthal; 09-28-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post

If you're on a tight budget there is a Golf Launch edition to celebrate the new platform (MK7) that starts in the $18k range and now comes with the 1.8 turbo instead of the boring naturally Aspirated 2.5.

The only reason I would not consider Volkswagen is its renegade quality issues and pricey options. Highly unlikely you will find one bone stock with no options on a lot

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    The only reason I would not consider Volkswagen is its renegade quality issues and pricey options. Highly unlikely you will find one bone stock with no options on a lot
    Yeah I'm with you there. I would be tempted because of how much more dynamic it is than any of the other choices. Top Gear claims it's one of the best all around cars in the world. I personally have never driven one so I'm not talking from experience but the MK7 seems to be cleaning house with the competition in all of the reviews I have read and reliability also seems to be way up. Time will tell.

The launch edition is exactly that, a low options car. I believe there are only a couple of option even available. They are only going to be available for short period at "launch" so they may be hard to come buy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post

If he values his time and money, he will not get a VW.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsRace For This Useful Post:

F14CRAZY (09-29-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

You can complain about VW quality, and deservedly so. But a 200/Fiat can't be much better.
    Last edited by MrCritical; 10-01-2014 at 06:32 AM.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information