In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0 - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Re: In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Some lexus' have semi aniline dyed leather rather than the painted on color that Cadillac offers.( STS did for awhile offer semi aniline dyed leather as an option).
    That leather was available in the Platinum level STS,DTS and Escalade. It was called Tuscany leather and was semi - aniline leather as you stated. The unfortunate thing is that Lexus offers it in much lower price and trim level vehicles. In my opinion my Escalade should have it standard with the luxury package. It was already $72k, so I would have to pay $85k for a Platinum for the same leather in my $50k Lexus RX400h.

Cadillac definitely has things in place now that could make them the best interiors on the planet ( in their class). All they have to do is use the things they have, and pay attention to the details.
    Last edited by germeezy1; 05-12-2011 at 01:28 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Overall I think its a great car, the ride / handling balance is pretty good. The only caveat being that it does not like sharp vertical intrusions or transverse ridges in the freeway. That is the only time you can feel the inherent stiffness of the suspension, which is great for roll control but they managed to make it ride very well most of the time. Road noise surprisingly is higher than the Buick Lucerne I was driving a few weeks ago, I am not expecting church mouse quiet but even my wife looked over at me and asked if I thought it was pretty noisy.

The other good thing is even though this car has been out for a while it still gets attention. Even my jaded import driving neighbors stopped and checked out the car. And it is instantly regonizable as a Cadillac, by pretty much everyone. So the bold styling may not be for everyone but the brand image is strong so I applaud that. Interestingly enough my 4 year old daughter asked what kind of car it was ( she loves and knows cars ). I told her honey you already know what kind of car it is, so she pauses and looks and walks around and looks more.

Than she says Dad its a Cadillac, its kind of like the Escalade! So if a 4 year old can regognize that its a Cadillac I think they nailed the brand recognition thing. On to the one part you enthusiasts are waiting for the powertrain. The good is it actually feels very smooth and sounds good at or near redline. Its a muted wail but not harsh at all, and the idle is very quiet...definitely quieter than some of the heavy injector noise competition. Even idling in the car with all the windows down.

After spending time driving the CTS 3.0, I think that what feels like no torque in the heavier SRX is a combination of things. It actually starts to pull around 3500 rpm or so , so the no torque feeling is nowhere near as bad in the CTS. The problem is the reluctance of the transmission to react fast enough when spurred. It slurs the shifts pretty well at part throttle and masks the peakiness of the engine. There is also some gaps between the gears noticeable on the 1st to 2nd shift for sure. Not bad for a base powertrain and I think better transmission programming would go a long way!

The handling is great, not BMW good but considering the size and weight its pleasantly surprising. Its like dating a pretty woman and then finding out that she is quite into cars. You would have liked her anyway but the liking cars thing is an added bonus! This is where Cadillac should be cars that handle better than expected despite a great ride quality. The V surprisingly rides not much worse than this car and handles considerably better. But the chassis is great with this amount of power even though the tail out attitude I prefer is harder to coaz.

GM and it's confounded 6 erratic 6 speed transmission programming. Why they can't get this right is just plain baffling to me as this was almost never an issue with the old 4 speed units. The 3 point slow sounds like it would benefit from a bit more low end torque and better trans programming. Something is just not right with the 3.0/6 speed in any of it's applications for NA and GM should really go back to the drawing board on this combo. Also surprised about the road noise and GM de-contenting on a Cadillac this expensive. There is no excuse for this.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    GM and it's confounded 6 erratic 6 speed transmission programming. Why they can't get this right is just plain baffling to me as this was almost never an issue with the old 4 speed units. The 3 point slow sounds like it would benefit from a bit more low end torque and better trans programming. Something is just not right with the 3.0/6 speed in any of it's applications for NA and GM should really go back to the drawing board on this combo. Also surprised about the road noise and GM de-contenting on a Cadillac this expensive. There is no excuse for this.
    The transmission programming in my Escalade is no better, I understand some has to do with FE and transmission longevity. But my Corvette was much faster to respond to downshift requests. Cadillac isn't the only manufacturer with this problem, even the Bentley Continentals with the 6 speed auto are reluctant to downshift when not in Sport mode.

While it was noticeable to me as an enthusiast driver most of the time ie when not driving the car hard the transmission is perfect. Quick , slurred...luxury car class shifting...and what I believe to be the best base engine/ trans combo in this class. It just needs a better sport mode or refinement when driven agressively. And I don't think they need to go back to the drawing board, just work on the details. The 3.0 for instance has no business in a car anywhere close to as heavy as the SRX, it makes the combo utter garbage.

On a side note my Escalade NEVER shifts with anywhere near the composure of the CTS 3.0...not even driven normally.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

GM must have messed my 6 speed up then. People complain that it is reluctant to downshift, but my Malibu will downshift immediately when I punch it.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    GM must have messed my 6 speed up then. People complain that it is reluctant to downshift, but my Malibu will downshift immediately when I punch it.
    The Malibu 3.6 in my experience has similar reluctance, its just that the port 3.6 is much stronger at lower revs. My 3.6 5A CTS, never had any of those issues...well I guess it was the same transmission used in the 5 series and 3 series. I think its more the different response to throttle position...my Escalade will sometimes grant me supremely quick response...but than same speed...same throttle position the next time will not grant me the same response.

Thanks
    My Ride

The Malibu 3.6 in my experience has similar reluctance, its just that the port 3.6 is much stronger at lower revs. My 3.6 5A CTS, never had any of those issues...well I guess it was the same transmission used in the 5 series and 3 series. I think its more the different response to throttle position...my Escalade will sometimes grant me supremely quick response...but than same speed...same throttle position the next time will not grant me the same response.

I did drive the 2008 Vue XR with the 6 speed, and I literally counted to 5 until it downshifted. But the Malibu kicks down instantly. No wait at all. Weird.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I did drive the 2008 Vue XR with the 6 speed, and I literally counted to 5 until it downshifted. But the Malibu kicks down instantly. No wait at all. Weird.
    In the Malibu's I have driven the reluctance happens less than my Escalade...which is worse than the CTS 3.0. Again remember your car is lighter, and the engine has more torque...but in my experience from driving the 3.6 Malibu's its much better than the CTS 3.0 and Escalade but there are times where I felt the response was different flooring the throttle from the same road speed vs the time before. Its more nitpicking in your car, but the 4 speed auto's did not have the same issue.

Thanks
    My Ride

In the Malibu's I have driven the reluctance happens less than my Escalade...which is worse than the CTS 3.0. Again remember your car is lighter, and the engine has more torque...but in my experience from driving the 3.6 Malibu's its much better than the CTS 3.0 and Escalade but there are times where I felt the response was different flooring the throttle from the same road speed vs the time before. Its more nitpicking in your car, but the 4 speed auto's did not have the same issue.

I do agree that the 4 speed downshifts faster. I've driven a CTS with the 3.0L, and quickly found out that the engine needs to be revved really hard to make some power. I also noticed that downshifts occur much slower than the 'Bu's.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I do agree that the 4 speed downshifts faster. I've driven a CTS with the 3.0L, and quickly found out that the engine needs to be revved really hard to make some power. I also noticed that downshifts occur much slower than the 'Bu's.
    I tried to isolate comparable cars in my mind before I drove the CTS 3.0...and doing so..its more powerful and responsive than most of its competition. It actually did not get bad gas mileage either considering I was not driving it slowly. The Lexus IS for instance is quicker to downshift and a small bit smoother...but its got noticeably less power...almost border line sluggish.

Thanks
    My Ride

I tried to isolate comparable cars in my mind before I drove the CTS 3.0...and doing so..its more powerful and responsive than most of its competition. It actually did not get bad gas mileage either considering I was not driving it slowly. The Lexus IS for instance is quicker to downshift and a small bit smoother...but its got noticeably less power...almost border line sluggish.

I'm not an IS250 fan. My girlfriend has one, but she loves it. What to do, lol. Have you seen this yet?

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...2/#post2341083
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I'm not an IS250 fan. My girlfriend has one, but she loves it. What to do, lol. Have you seen this yet?

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...2/#post2341083
    No but truly that is epic, if its refined...they will have a winner on there hands. I wish the next Malibu would have this as the top engine!

Thanks
    My Ride

No but truly that is epic, if its refined...they will have a winner on there hands. I wish the next Malibu would have this as the top engine!

Malibu SS? Sounds good.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Colorado Crew Z71 4x4

You referred to DLO. I'm not familiar with that term. What is it?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4x4doors View Post
    You referred to DLO. I'm not familiar with that term. What is it?
    I am sorry for using car geek terms....DLO means daylight opening.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Saddens me to realize that the CTS is not much longer for this world.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information