In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0 - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Re: In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Wow... the CTS 3.6L DI is pretty slow for all of that power. Are you sure the G8 does 0-60 in 6 flat in the V6 trim?
    I must be losing it, it feels that fast but I think the reality is 6.5 to 7.0 seconds. Wow the G8 definitely feels faster but its certainly rougher and not as smooth at high rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    A Cadillac with base wheels, no fog lights .. black plastics and no dual chrome times is just bad..

Seriously Mark Reuss says he gets it, but with stuff like thing going on, He does not get it.

For crying out loud I can understand a fleet special Impala, But Cadillac? Seriously, if Avis wants Cadillacs for their fleet, let them pay full price or go to Hyundai...
    The one I am driving is pretty base, it has a chrome DLO surround/ grille...dual exhausts...overall it does not look like a base car from the outside.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Wow... the CTS 3.6L DI is pretty slow for all of that power. Are you sure the G8 does 0-60 in 6 flat in the V6 trim?
    The weight kills it for the CTS. And the G8 V-6 was about a seven second 0-60, definitely not at about six.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    The weight kills it for the CTS. And the G8 V-6 was about a seven second 0-60, definitely not at about six.
    Yep I corrected that my CTS 3.6 would run to 60 in about 5.8 to 6.0 with the exhaust and cold air intake with a G tech. It even stock and the G8 V6 feel stronger than this car off the line and from just flooring it. I guess the lower rpm torque will do that, the 3.0 pulls at high revs but again as you mentioned the weight blunts the power. By comparison a 330i with 260 hp feels like its on another planet 0-60 it slaps 7,000 rpm until it says uncle!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I must be losing it, it feels that fast but I think the reality is 6.5 to 7.0 seconds. Wow the G8 definitely feels faster but its certainly rougher and not as smooth at high rpm.

http://www.insideline.com/pontiac/g8...ontiac-g8.html

The one I am driving is pretty base, it has a chrome DLO surround/ grille...dual exhausts...overall it does not look like a base car from the outside.

Does it have the Sapele wood trim?

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post

Zeta and Sigma cars are very heavy. Hell, all GM cars are heavy!
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

http://www.insideline.com/pontiac/g8...ontiac-g8.html

Does it have the Sapele wood trim?

Zeta and Sigma cars are very heavy. Hell, all GM cars are heavy!

Ughhhh don't get me started on the ugly crap inside the car. Its some diamond patterned wannabe carbon fiber crap. I also just realized it does have the poverty covers for the fog lights.

Also GM please read this, the details....the details ....the details. Lighted sill plates, better ambient lighting. Ok I will say the ambient lighting is better than in past GM vehicles but not as good as companies like BMW, and LExus for instance. Also the same issue my Escalade has, everything above eye level is soft to the touch but everything below the top of the doors and even on passenger side below the stitched dash top is hard. Its like the quality is all in the top of the dash and the doors. I know companies like VW/ Audi do this but they manage to hide the cost engineered parts better.

Ok now some pictures

Please tell me what tree or carbon fiber gnome contributed to this alien material?

Dual exhaust, and they do look to be chromed ....nice touch!

Poverty covers for your neighbor to know that your broke azz could only afford the lease special no option car!

I love the side profile, but I am a bigger guy and it makes the car harder to get into and out of. Form before function in this case all for the love of the tiny DLO!

Thanks
    My Ride

Ughhhh don't get me started on the ugly crap inside the car. Its some diamond patterned wannabe carbon fiber crap. I also just realized it does have the poverty covers for the fog lights.

Also GM please read this, the details....the details ....the details. Lighted sill plates, better ambient lighting. Ok I will say the ambient lighting is better than in past GM vehicles but not as good as companies like BMW, and LExus for instance. Also the same issue my Escalade has, everything above eye level is soft to the touch but everything below the top of the doors and even on passenger side below the stitched dash top is hard. Its like the quality is all in the top of the dash and the doors. I know companies like VW/ Audi do this but they manage to hide the cost engineered parts better.

Ok now some pictures

Please tell me what tree or carbon fiber gnome contributed to this alien material?

Dual exhaust, and they do look to be chromed ....nice touch!

Poverty covers for your neighbor to know that your broke azz could only afford the lease special no option car!

I love the side profile, but I am a bigger guy and it makes the car harder to get into and out of. Form before function in this case all for the love of the tiny DLO!

The interior without wood trim is ugly, IMHO. I also noticed that the CTS dash is hard plastic. GM is doing the wrong thing by cheapening the CTS, IMHO. Is this the same on the one they gave you? Oh, and does the interior ambient lighting look like this at night?

Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

The interior without wood trim is ugly, IMHO. I also noticed that the CTS dash is hard plastic. GM is doing the wrong thing by cheapening the CTS, IMHO. Is this the same on the one they gave you? Oh, and does the interior ambient lighting look like this at night?

Mine has absolutely no options, but I was just driving it and did not notice the ambient lighting below the trim. Lighted sill covers would also go a long way towards making the car feel more upscale. Yes those pictures are the car in my garage. The Gen 2 CTS I am almost certain has more hard plastic than the Gen 1 inside the car even though its styling is much better.

Thanks
    My Ride

Mine has absolutely no options, but I was just driving it and did not notice the ambient lighting below the trim. Lighted sill covers would also go a long way towards making the car feel more upscale. Yes those pictures are the car in my garage. The Gen 2 CTS I am almost certain has more hard plastic than the Gen 1 inside the car even though its styling is much better.

I wonder if the refreshed 2012 CTS will alleviate the interior issues. Hard plastic is a no-no in a car with a sticker around 40 grand.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I wonder if the refreshed 2012 CTS will alleviate the interior issues. Hard plastic is a no-no in a car with a sticker around 40 grand.
    So much of the interior is so good, and maybe I am nitpicking since all the touch points are soft touch. But if they just moved all the hard plastic farther out of sight. For instance the passenger side dash. On the good side its all got a low sheen finish to it but you can tell it is a coating on top of the plastic.

So more comments, the lower dash and doors is not the traditional hard plastic, it has a soft touch coating but if you feel it the fact that hard plastic is underneath it is pretty obvious. The interior is still very good so its not a deal breaker, I do feel the V should get an interior that is more different in the Gen 3 car. And thinking back to my IS250 drives, and the numbers I have seen for the G25 overall the powertrain is very good for a base car. The 328i is the only one I can think of that has a better base engine, oh that and the TL. I think the problem lies more in the fact that the 3.6 DI isn't even class competitive considering its output.
    Last edited by germeezy1; 05-11-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride

So much of the interior is so good, and maybe I am nitpicking since all the touch points are soft touch. But if they just moved all the hard plastic farther out of sight. For instance the passenger side dash. On the good side its all got a low sheen finish to it but you can tell it is a coating on top of the plastic.

Malibu has a soft dash, but the door panels suck. The Regal is good, and the CTS has a descent interior too. I think the MKZ's interior materials surpass those of the CTS.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Malibu has a soft dash, but the door panels suck. The Regal is good, and the CTS has a descent interior too. I think the MKZ's interior materials surpass those of the CTS.
    Shhh don't tell anyone but the Fusion is better inside than most of the Ford cars including the Mustang. It has a soft touch dash all the way down as far as you can touch and the door panels are as well. I think the MKZ has better leather quality or at least a slight bit better, and from my memory it appears the base CTS has the same leather quality as the 3.6 DI. I will look at one today when I bring it back to the dealer and get my Escalade.

Style wise though the CTS kills the MKS, the CTS is really amazing to me still as far as design. By paying a little more attention to material quality and details I am convinced Cadillac can rival Audi, Lexus and MB. Draxlmaier is the company who did the CTS interior, and they are the best interior supplier in the world...their work includes the interior on the Veyron. Draxlmaier has a cut and sew technology that brings hand cutting and stitching for a much more cost effective price.

From Magnaride to Cut and Sew interiors , Cadillac has what it takes to be world class. The only thing they need now is to focus on the details. I truly believe the XTS interior will reflect Cadillac spending more inside the car and focusing on the details. Considering the CTS is only a gen 2 product its sales and positioning in the market is pretty good. Here is a few links for the CTS and its award winning interior.

http://www.speautomotive.com/Awards%...ae_tech/41.htm

This is very technical but in laymans terms its how they eliminate the need for external cut lines for airbags. They actually pre cut the leather from behind which lets it release the airbag without having to show a visible line. Basically the airbag explodes through the leather.

http://www.europatentbox.com/patent/...t/2453291.html

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

Yeah, I'm impressed with the ride handling compromise on my '11 CTS 3.0L. Mine is a base FE1 and you can just bury it into a cloverleaf or offramp. I invoked stabilitrak on one offramp I hit at 50+mph a few weeks ago.
    it would be fair to say that the CTS has more cornering capability than my '06 GTO.

The negatives would lack of low end torque but if you put your foot into it, it goes.

It is not, however a $37K car. Closer to $33K would be better. I paid less and did a lease at $325mo.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Yeah, I'm impressed with the ride handling compromise on my '11 CTS 3.0L. Mine is a base FE1 and you can just bury it into a cloverleaf or offramp. I invoked stabilitrak on one offramp I hit at 50+mph a few weeks ago.
    it would be fair to say that the CTS has more cornering capability than my '06 GTO.

The negatives would lack of low end torque but if you put your foot into it, it goes.

It is not, however a $37K car. Closer to $33K would be better. I paid less and did a lease at $325mo.
    I think the slight impact harshness I perceive only happens going over one wheel bumps or sharp intrusions. I am willing to be that its a stiff anti roll bar I am feeling because the damping is spot on except for those situations. I turned off all the Stability and ran in traction off mode all day today off and on. I must say I was actually able to hold a nice drive and correct very nicely in the CTS. So while it doesn't have the off the line punch when you get the revs up it has no problems being a hooligan which quite frankly made me smile!

I am not sure I am feeling a real lack of low end torque as much as I am the transmissions reluctance to downshift sometimes. I know what the numbers say but I am honestly surprised by this engine. I consider it to be one of the best base engines in its class.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

So today I returned the CTS, best in class you ask as far as my opinion. No but better than expected, I am very glad that the 3.0 is better than my first experience in the SRX. I almost find that for its price and lease payment that this may be the pick of the range. Its competitive as a base car far more than it is near the top of the range. I was at the dealer today really considering one as a 3rd or 4th car.

I really like the Sapele wood in the luxury package cars far me and the two tone tan and brown interior or black a lot more so than grey. So the CTS has a great interior but its just a little bit low rent in some places, for some reason my old Lexus RX400h even though its in the same price class just feels nicer inside. So I thought how much of that is tangible and how much is in my mind. So I went and borrowed it from the in laws who bought it from us.

I opened the door , and yes it does feel more upscale than the CTS so I went about trying to find out why. When you open the door in the Lexus you are greeted by a lighted sill plate , the plate itself isn't that much more high quality than the Cadillac one but its a great way to introduce the interior. It also has the ambient lighting perfect as it dims the lights in the foot well and keeps them dimly lit when the car is driving along.

Than I start my dash feeling, hmmm interesting I don't remember this hard coated plastic similar to the CTS on the lower door panels. I realized that Lexus moves the hard plastic a little bit further down the door out of reach and hidden when the door is closed by the seat. Hmmm see its the little details like that add up to a feeling of a higher quality interior. In my Escalade I can see and feel the hard shiny plastic on the door panels which is right below the soft touch materials.

And then I go over to the passenger side, the lower dash is soft to the touch as is the upper dash. So to the touch its soft and silky even though not as cushioned as the SRX dash I felt earlier in the day. The leather quality is also something to behold considering the class of this car and the class of my Escalade. Wow is all I can say about the seats and the leather quality in this car.

So its kind of a toss up, the more attention paid to the drive or more attention paid to the interior. The SRX again is close but its not there yet in the interior, and the new RX drives well but it left any sportiness on the table.

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

Some lexus' have semi aniline dyed leather rather than the painted on color that Cadillac offers.( STS did for awhile offer semi aniline dyed leather as an option).

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information