In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0

I am driving a CTS 3.0 today as one of the first actual Cadillac loaner cars I have received for service on my Escalade. Any questions or comments or anything anyone would like to know about this car? My first impressions are good as I forgot how good this cars ride/ handling balance was. The only bad at this point is the 3.0 DI, the 3.6 while not as powerful or smooth at high revs didn't need so many revs showing to move the car fast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Re: In the Garage Cadillac CTS 3.0

What year?

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by tuffg929 View Post
    what year?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Are there any dynamic advantages of the 3.0 versus the 3.6? Faster/slower, quieter, faster/slower response, mpg?

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Are there any dynamic advantages of the 3.0 versus the 3.6? Faster/slower, quieter, faster/slower response, mpg?
    Its been at least a year since I have driven a 3.6 and this car does feel lighter in the nose. Also despite blasts to redline whenever I get a chance this car is stuck right around 22 mpg. The 3.6 definitely has more torque to make up for the transmissions slow responses however. My Gen 1 CTS 3.6 5A would eat this thing for breakfast and lunch it feels like.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,373 Times in 3,717 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Can my 3.6L V6 Malibu eat it for lunch? Is the Escalade faster than it? I'm pretty sure the old 3.6L PFI CTS can kill the 3.0L any day as well.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks

Has the 3.0 always had just a single exhaust tip? Over the weekend, I noticed a couple of base model-looking CTSs with single exhaust. I hadn't previously noticed a CTS with single exhaust. The dual exhaust looks way better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
    Has the 3.0 always had just a single exhaust tip? Over the weekend, I noticed a couple of base model-looking CTSs with single exhaust. I hadn't previously noticed a CTS with single exhaust. The dual exhaust looks way better.
    I agree, the Nissan Altima has duals on all trims. Even the Regal and Lacrosse come standard with dual exhaust, although its hidden on lower trim levels. What is so bad about dual exhaust for a Caddy?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Impala Fleet Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Nice, so it should still have the dual exhaust.

Thanks
    My Ride

2010's had duals, but 2011 dropped them on the 3.0L trim. Stupid, if you ask me. The CTS looks good with duals.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Can my 3.6L V6 Malibu eat it for lunch? Is the Escalade faster than it? I'm pretty sure the old 3.6L PFI CTS can kill the 3.0L any day as well.
    I think so, its not bad from say 20 mph in 1st gear going through the gears. But like my Escalade which is still much better since it has so much torque. This car gives an awful pause before downshifting most of the time so its not especially willing when you are rolling along. The surprising thing to me is the G8 with PFI 3.6 does not have the same issue, it also feels much faster than the CTS 3.0. Your Malibu 0-60 time is dead even with a CTS 3.6 and G8 3.6 at 5.9 - 6.0 0-60.

I agree, I also noticed the tips were not chrome but just steel. Definitely some carbon on the tips after some WOT blasts. I wonder if GM is using their old tricks of going really rich at WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
    I agree, the Nissan Altima has duals on all trims. Even the Regal and Lacrosse come standard with dual exhaust, although its hidden on lower trim levels. What is so bad about dual exhaust for a Caddy?
    Every Cadillac should have dual exhaust, I preferred the 4 on my STS and DTS. My CTS 3.6 had the Corsa style tips to fill the cutouts. I really liked the look and sound.

2010's had duals, but 2011 dropped them on the 3.0L trim. Stupid, if you ask me. The CTS looks good with duals.
    They dropped them for 2011? Dang it Cadillac.....let everyone know you bought the lease special!

Quote Originally Posted by TuffG929 View Post
    Nice, so it should still have the dual exhaust.
    Yes it does, but again the tips are pretty bad....Cadillac has to quit handling so much money to the aftermarket. I was looking at a Mini Countryman the other day and almost everything you would do to the car aftermarket is an option. I think Cadillac should have that level of personalization!

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I think so, its not bad from say 20 mph in 1st gear going through the gears. But like my Escalade which is still much better since it has so much torque. This car gives an awful pause before downshifting most of the time so its not especially willing when you are rolling along. The surprising thing to me is the G8 with PFI 3.6 does not have the same issue, it also feels much faster than the CTS 3.0. Your Malibu 0-60 time is dead even with a CTS 3.6 and G8 3.6 at 5.9 - 6.0 0-60.

Wow... the CTS 3.6L DI is pretty slow for all of that power. Are you sure the G8 does 0-60 in 6 flat in the V6 trim?
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,376 Times in 3,104 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

A Cadillac with base wheels, no fog lights .. black plastics and no dual chrome tips is just bad..

Seriously Mark Reuss says he gets it, but with stuff like thing going on, He does not get it. Especially the de-contentment of cars as they years go by. How exactly does a meeting to decontent a Cadillac go like at GM corporate?

For crying out loud I can understand a fleet special Impala, But Cadillac? Seriously, if Avis wants Cadillacs for their fleet, let them pay full price or go to Hyundai...
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 05-10-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Overall I think its a great car, the ride / handling balance is pretty good. The only caveat being that it does not like sharp vertical intrusions or transverse ridges in the freeway. That is the only time you can feel the inherent stiffness of the suspension, which is great for roll control but they managed to make it ride very well most of the time. Road noise surprisingly is higher than the Buick Lucerne I was driving a few weeks ago, I am not expecting church mouse quiet but even my wife looked over at me and asked if I thought it was pretty noisy.

The other good thing is even though this car has been out for a while it still gets attention. Even my jaded import driving neighbors stopped and checked out the car. And it is instantly regonizable as a Cadillac, by pretty much everyone. So the bold styling may not be for everyone but the brand image is strong so I applaud that. Interestingly enough my 4 year old daughter asked what kind of car it was ( she loves and knows cars ). I told her honey you already know what kind of car it is, so she pauses and looks and walks around and looks more.

Than she says Dad its a Cadillac, its kind of like the Escalade! So if a 4 year old can regognize that its a Cadillac I think they nailed the brand recognition thing. On to the one part you enthusiasts are waiting for the powertrain. The good is it actually feels very smooth and sounds good at or near redline. Its a muted wail but not harsh at all, and the idle is very quiet...definitely quieter than some of the heavy injector noise competition. Even idling in the car with all the windows down.

After spending time driving the CTS 3.0, I think that what feels like no torque in the heavier SRX is a combination of things. It actually starts to pull around 3500 rpm or so , so the no torque feeling is nowhere near as bad in the CTS. The problem is the reluctance of the transmission to react fast enough when spurred. It slurs the shifts pretty well at part throttle and masks the peakiness of the engine. There is also some gaps between the gears noticeable on the 1st to 2nd shift for sure. Not bad for a base powertrain and I think better transmission programming would go a long way!

The handling is great, not BMW good but considering the size and weight its pleasantly surprising. Its like dating a pretty woman and then finding out that she is quite into cars. You would have liked her anyway but the liking cars thing is an added bonus! This is where Cadillac should be cars that handle better than expected despite a great ride quality. The V surprisingly rides not much worse than this car and handles considerably better. But the chassis is great with this amount of power even though the tail out attitude I prefer is harder to coaz.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    A Cadillac with base wheels, no fog lights .. black plastics and no dual chrome times is just bad..

Seriously Mark Reuss says he gets it, but with stuff like thing going on, He does not get it.

For crying out loud I can understand a fleet special Impala, But Cadillac? Seriously, if Avis wants Cadillacs for their fleet, let them pay full price or go to Hyundai...

This is awesome. I love this post. It really sums up Cadillac's "quest" to become the premier luxury car maker.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information