Dodge Avenger (3.6) review, mileage

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Avenger (3.6) review, mileage

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Dodge Avenger (3.6) review, mileage

We have had our new pentastar 3.6 dodge avenger for almost a half year, but we took it on a long trip and I wanted to report the fuel economy that I tested both wa)ys on a trip between Upstate NY and Florida:

-I tested it 3 times each way on fillups (not all 100% to empty, some half tanks, some 3/4 tanks but here it is)

-From Buffalo, NY area to near Pittsburgh PA, most travel with cruise controll on 68-70mph...27.4 mpg (calculated, not trip computer).
    -From PA to Virginia, 31.0 mpg.
    -From SC to Florida, 32.3mpg (cruise controll on 72-75mph)

On return trip, similiar numbers:
    -FL to a fill-up in South Carolina, 32.7mpg (traveling mostly between 70-75)
    -From SC to Virginia, 30.9mpg
    -From West Virginia to Buffalo area, 28.1.

On the norther fillups, travel we generally a few mph less, yet the mileage was worse. Either because the tire pressures were lower in the colder temps...there was a 'winter' formula gas up north but not down south, or the car actually performs better at higher MPG (but that seems unlikely.)

There were a few segments we made some quick fillups that I didn't calculate.

Total payload of the car (passengers plus some baggage) was about 450 lbs.

Trip computer had similar numbers, but it wasn't 100% accurate (probably about 1mpg off either way)

Other than colder temps, on the days we traveled weather was good the whole trip. A little bit of some slick spots on the way down near Erie PA, and some very light showers in FL, but not much else.

Other than posted speeds above, I was easy on the car. Very few times I gave it the gas to pass and got up faster than posted, so I tried to maintain the 65-70mph range without going much faster (despite being passed like we were standing still some times...particularly in South Carolina on I26 between Charleston and Columbia and on I95 between southern SC all the way through GA and into FL.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,940 Times in 4,842 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Dodge Avenger (3.6) review, mileage

This just makes me all the more disapointed in the 3.6 in my '08 Malibu witht the six speed. 75% of my driving is highway - best I ever get is 27 but more normally I get 25 to 26 mpg in warmer temps and around 24 mpg on average in the winter. I try to keep my speed down for better fuel efficiency and don't beat on it.

My wife's 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee has that engine - very smooth and a joy to drive. I wish she had waited to get the 8 speed tranny, but the 5 speed is very nice as well. Again I wish the GM six speed worked as nicely. Chrysler did a great job on the engine!!!!!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

^^ Thanks for the update. Are you on Fuelly, mjd? And what tires does your Avenger have?

BTW, though it's common belief and probably true for the most part, as I've repeated here numerous times the best MPG I ever got on my 2004 Impala 3.4 was at speeds in excess of 80 MPH, in the summer, with the air going. Whether I was cruising through a time-space-magnetic anomalie (eastern TN), whether there's really great gas around there, or whether it was simply the car finding its sweet spot, I wouldn't believe the "More MPH=Less MPG" formula until I'd real-world tested it.

Your fluctuations could have been due to gas formulae or the denser air.

In the distant past, when we were on 2+ day trips, our MPG usually got better the 2nd day. We attributed it to the engine burning off any accumulated crud by getting to run all day.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    This just makes me all the more disapointed in the 3.6 in my '08 Malibu witht the six speed. 75% of my driving is highway - best I ever get is 27 but more normally I get 25 to 26 mpg in warmer temps and around 24 mpg on average in the winter. I try to keep my speed down for better fuel efficiency and don't beat on it.

My wife's 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee has that engine - very smooth and a joy to drive. I wish she had waited to get the 8 speed tranny, but the 5 speed is very nice as well. Again I wish the GM six speed worked as nicely. Chrysler did a great job on the engine!!!!!
    Wow, that sucks, wonder if there's a computer or FI misstep somewhere that's not been diagnosed yet. Unless you're running your tires at 18 LBS. which I doubt.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,940 Times in 4,842 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    ^^ Thanks for the update. Are you on Fuelly, mjd? And what tires does your Avenger have?

BTW, though it's common belief and probably true for the most part, as I've repeated here numerous times the best MPG I ever got on my 2004 Impala 3.4 was at speeds in excess of 80 MPH, in the summer, with the air going. Whether I was cruising through a time-space-magnetic anomalie (eastern TN), whether there's really great gas around there, or whether it was simply the car finding its sweet spot, I wouldn't believe the "More MPH=Less MPG" formula until I'd real-world tested it.

Your fluctuations could have been due to gas formulae or the denser air.

In the distant past, when we were on 2+ day trips, our MPG usually got better the 2nd day. We attributed it to the engine burning off any accumulated crud by getting to run all day.

Wow, that sucks, wonder if there's a computer or FI misstep somewhere that's not been diagnosed yet. Unless you're running your tires at 18 LBS. which I doubt.
    I probably should have it looked at. I check the air in the tires very frequently (daily via the DIC), especially in the fall when the temps are falling. It gets about the same mpg as the 3.8 supercharged engine I had in my '02 Grand Prix GTP - I was expecting a little better.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Nice write-up, and some fine MPG numbers.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Tires are still the Stock Goodyear Eagle LS's, which I'm still not happy with. The vibration I had earlier in them minimized, but after rotating them, it came back a little. Fuel used was plain old 87 octane, from a variety of stations.

I still would be surprised that a car would run 'more efficiently' at higher speeds. In all my past cars that I did mileage runs with, they always got better mileage near the lowest speed the top gear would allow (the closer to 50mph, the better, with drops dramatically below 65mph.)

As far as the car getting better mileage on the second day, or after running a bit...not so much. On the trip down to FL, we got better mileage later in the day, but on the way back, better earlier in the day. There was a lot of up and down in Virginia and WV, but overall not much of a total net change in elevation through the fuel runs. Tire PSIs, were in the 34-35 range..by the time we got into the warm weather, they were running in the 37-38 range.

As a note, on the same trips in previous years that I kept records, our 2.4 powered 2008 Malibu got 30-35mpg (overall about 3-5 better than our 6 cylinder Avenger) and our FWD Traverse got 22-24. Bottom line, I'm pretty happy with getting near or slightly above EPA on our trip with this car with the 280hp engine. Just I can't wait to get a better set of tires on it soon.

Another problem with the Eagle LS tires....we ran into a little slick weather near Erie, PA (nothing more than cold pavement with a trace of snow on it), and the car felt like it was on wet ice. Even though the Eagle LS's are 'all season', there are other tires I have had on other cars that were a LOT better. RWD sedans and semi trucks were passing us at 70mpg...while if I so much as went above 50, if felt as if the whole car was sliding side to side.

This trip has reinforced what I have said about the Avenger so far....very good midsized car for the price. More comfortable than you would expect from its size (even though it is about the same size it was MUCH more comfortable on a long trip than our Malibu was.) An average automatic transmission mated to an excellent engine (in terms of blend of power and economy)....but awful, AWFUL tires that come with it from the factory.

Thanks
    My Ride

^^ I'm just reporting my real world MPG results with the Impala. Those data consist of five or six tanks, not just a one-tank anomalie. If I had the opportunity, I'd run every car I owned at those speeds for a few tanks. In the Impala's case, I can only attribute it to a sweet spot in the 80-95 MPH range. @ 36~ MPH/1000 RPM in top gear, that's 2300-2600 RPM.
    I was keeping up with E TN traffic, and they drove like Texans and anyone near a big city once on the highway, whether going across the CT border from NY or out of Dallas or Chicago. Speeds in excess of 80 are the norm, not the exception.

I had GY LS as stockers on the Spectra when we got it in 2008. After discovering absolute zero traction in about 1/2" of snow, I dx'd them and put on something better. That course is not always economically viable, but brand new takeoff tires can be sold through the local paper or ebay and that takes some of the sting off the new tire price.

I just put an 800 dollar set of wheels/tires on my wife's PT, because her stock tires are no good in the snow/ice we get around here. One crash = $500 deductible plus possible injuries.
    I will always buy good tires whenever it's practical. To me, it's the cheapest form of insurance. Other than paying attention, that is.

Anyway, congrats on your wheels, mjd1001, and many more happy returns.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-02-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 CX-5, '12 Chrysler 200

We just traded in our 3.6 Malibu for a 3.6 chrysler 200 a couple weeks ago. Trip computer for calculating mileage seems a bit wacky though. When we reset it, it seems like it keeps a weighted average of mileage. For example, if we reset it and then fill up the tank and test the mileage, it seems to be pretty accurate over a short period of time. But over a long period it seems to weight the most recent trips more heavily than the older trips. Other than that the car is good but we don't seem to be getting good mileage overall now, probably in the high teens or low 20s combined, but that can be the result of the new-car-heavy-foot syndrome.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Smellhound View Post
    We just traded in our 3.6 Malibu for a 3.6 chrysler 200 a couple weeks ago. Trip computer for calculating mileage seems a bit wacky though. When we reset it, it seems like it keeps a weighted average of mileage. For example, if we reset it and then fill up the tank and test the mileage, it seems to be pretty accurate over a short period of time. But over a long period it seems to weight the most recent trips more heavily than the older trips. Other than that the car is good but we don't seem to be getting good mileage overall now, probably in the high teens or low 20s combined, but that can be the result of the new-car-heavy-foot syndrome.
    Envoy4Bu will not be happy with you.

Congratulations on your new wheels, though, Smellhound. Model, toys, & color? Hope you got Michelins and not the Badyears they've been wrapping the 18s with.

Our trip-pooter is consistently one to two MPG optimistic. I just look at it as if it's a politician, always promising more than is really delivered.

Your experience may vary. Probably not really broken in and loosened up until 5000+ miles.

BTW, what caused you to go with the Mopar?

Enjoy!!
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-24-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,564 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Envoy4Bu will not be happy with you.

Congratulations on your new wheels, though, Smellhound. Model, toys, & color? Hope you got Michelins and not the Badyears they've been wrapping the 18s with.

Our trip-pooter is consistently one to two MPG optimistic. I just look at it as if it's a politician, always promising more than is really delivered.

Your experience may vary. Probably not really broken in and loosened up until 5000+ miles.

BTW, what caused you to go with the Mopar?

Enjoy!!

1.) It's Envoy4Life, get it right.
    2.) How do you like your new 200?
    3.) Which one do you like better?
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    1.) It's Envoy4Life, get it right.
    2.) How do you like your new 200?
    3.) Which one do you like better?
    I was slyly trying to hint hint suggest to the Powers That Be that perhaps they should allow your name change. That request is still getting no response I presume.
    I like it fine.
    Which one, his or ours? Ours. Cause it's ours.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

I was slyly trying to hint hint suggest to the Powers That Be that perhaps they should allow your name change. That request is still getting no response I presume.
    I like it fine.
    Which one, his or ours? Ours. Cause it's ours.

LMAO! I wanted my new name to be EnvoyBu, but then I remembered that I should stick with the original, LAMRONH.

Did you lease or buy your 200?
    Current:

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '14 CX-5, '12 Chrysler 200

We got a limited, red. I honestly don't know the brand of tires i'll have to check that. 2 reasons we went with Chrysler this time: 1. What you get for the money, the car is very well equipped and the engine is more powerful and smoother than what I expected for the $$. 2. The size of the car. It seems to be about the same size as our old Malibu at least within a few inches in every way-but the 200 seems more comfortable in that you seem to sit a bit higher and I seem to have to duck my head a bit less when getting in and out. I know they are in the same class and I never thought I'd say this about a Chrysler--but the 200 seems to be a bit of a step-up from our Malibu.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 F150, '09 G37, '10 R6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post

You are actually getting very good fuel mileage for a V6 Malibu. The EPA is 26 MPG Highway and 20 MPG combined.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Interesting notes, Smellhound.

Quote Originally Posted by andretti View Post
    You are actually getting very good fuel mileage for a V6 Malibu. The EPA is 26 MPG Highway and 20 MPG combined.

Bear in mind that it was tested using 87 octane while the vehicle recommends 89 octane.
    Current:

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information