Colorado vs Silverado

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado vs Silverado

Thanks

Colorado vs Silverado

Been in the market for a new truck to replace my 2001 S-10. So I decided upon one of two trucks, a 2009 Colorado extended cab 4wd & a 2008 Silverado Reg Cab 4wd. I was very impressed with the Silverado. Nicely finished, very good interior, good power (5.3), and nice options. Only downside was the highway noise, 4 speed, and I still would like to see better mileage out of them (yes I know they are class leading). Next I drove the Colorado. I'll begin by saying that it is better than the 01 S-10, but after driving the Silverado, yikes. I drove the 4 cyl (not enough power for me), and the 5 cyl (VERY noisy), and decided I'd give up mileage & quietness for the extra power. The only thing the Colorado has going for it is the mileage, and thats only after GM improved it this year by about 11% (5 cyl). BUT, the price was more than the Silverado, and the Colorado doesn't come with Auto-trac, remote start or a sliding sun visor. I don't mind the looks of the Colorado, but the interior is pretty cheap. Although I was looking for gas mileage, I just can't justify buying a Colorado for more money than a Silverado (yes I know extended cab vs reg cab, but still.....). GM great job on the Silverado, but shame on you for the Colorado.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC leelander's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Colorado vs Silverado

in all reality, the 3.7 is about the same or worse than the 5.3. the nice thing with the 5.3 is the extra power that you get. have you looked into the colorado with the 5.3 yet?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

It's quite disappointing; GM SHOULD have a competitive small-midsize pickup but even their own half tons are a better value. It's not worth giving up the capability, better interior, etc for a slight increase in mileage.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

I know there are Colorado fans....but I'll say it...you made the right choice.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Canyonaro's Avatar
    Thanks

This conversation has been hashed over and over again. Why not search about that instead of posting the same thing?

I know that sounds harsh, but in reality the Colorado isn't as bad as you might suggest. You should drive more midsize from other brands to see that the 3.7l really isn't that bad in mpg/power/sound. The Silverado is a great truck, so if you need a full size go for it, thats my $.02.
    Willy (from the Simpsons): Willy hears ya. Willy don't care.

Обладание Тойотой не плохо, только все те люди, которые ведут тот, думая это как Aмериканец.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonaro View Post
    This conversation has been hashed over and over again. Why not search about that instead of posting the same thing?

I know that sounds harsh, but in reality the Colorado isn't as bad as you might suggest. You should drive more midsize from other brands to see that the 3.7l really isn't that bad in mpg/power/sound. The Silverado is a great truck, so if you need a full size go for it, thats my $.02.

This thread is on reader car reviews!
    I test drove a couple of trucks & posted a review (comparison) on them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    This thread is on reader car reviews!
    I test drove a couple of trucks & posted a review (comparison) on them.
    I understand that, and like everyone here I appreciate your input and review. I do think it has been done to death, which is why I complained so I will just shut my mouth about it.

Обладание Тойотой не плохо, только все те люди, которые ведут тот, думая это как Aмериканец.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonaro View Post
    I understand that, and like everyone here I appreciate your input and review. I do think it has been done to death, which is why I complained so I will just shut my mouth about it.
    I guess people who have been on this forum for awhile are aware of its history, more so than us newbies. I will take your advice & have a look back at other threads on this topic.

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    I guess people who have been on this forum for awhile are aware of its history, more so than us newbies. I will take your advice & have a look back at other threads on this topic.
    Actually, I've been here a couple years and don't frequent the truck threads. Regardless if the conversation has been done before, I like hearing other peoples opinions. You stuck it in the right spot Wrecker and I was interested to see what you thought. Canyonaro, if you already know the argument why did you bother dropping into the thread? It is hardly a repost when someone does their own review. *sheesh* Tough customers round these parts.

P.S. Have you posted your vehicle in the members garage discussion? I'd like to see your S-10.

P.P.S. Would a 3.0L turbo diesel change your mind?
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

I've been driving a Silverado crew cab for about three weeks now as a replacement vehicle for my HHR while it is in the body shop. I've never been a truck person mostly because I have no use for them because I don't have anything to haul on a regular basis and I live in the inner city which means parking can be tough and a smaller car is better. My HHR does well with hauling when I do make larger purchases and such.

I grabbed a Silverado crew cab 4x4 because I'm currently moving and needed something to my move things with.

Anyways, I'm starting to enjoy the Silverado. I don't think I'd purchase one but it is a very capable truck (although that should be expected because that's what it is designed for.) The interior is nicely designed and is comfortable. The only problem I've run into the with interior is that when the truck is in "Drive" the column mounted gear shift is directly in line with the HVAC controls and partially in the way of the radio controls. I've bumped it a few times and having to reach around it to change the fan speed or temperature is a little annoying. Albeit, this might not affect all drivers because it's probably partially due to seating position and such.

The engine is nicely powered and smooth. It does eat a lot of fuel (which is something I'm not used as compared to my HHR.)

I don't have much experience with the Colorado except for the one time that my friend gave me a ride in his.

Final point, I guess you need a truck than the Silverado is a pretty good choice.

Thanks

[QUOTE

P.S. Have you posted your vehicle in the members garage discussion? I'd like to see your S-10.

P.P.S. Would a 3.0L turbo diesel change your mind?[/QUOTE]

Don't have any electronic pics of the s-10...I'll have to scan some in

Not interested in diesels right now. Not a lot of production capacity, which is going to continue to drive up diesel prices, more so than gasoline.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    \Canyonaro, if you already know the argument why did you bother dropping into the thread? It is hardly a repost when someone does their own review. *sheesh* Tough customers round these parts.

P.P.S. Would a 3.0L turbo diesel change your mind?
    Again pardon me, I thought it done to death but I do appreciate his input like anyone else here.

Now I for one am one of the advocates since the beginning of the program of wanting the 3.0l diesel. They are everywhere but NA, and that is truely disappointing. I realize it is an Isuzu sourced engine, but I would think GM could do it here with their own resources. The new V8 option is good, but the diesel option would be better and have a larger fan base with these midsize trucks. Remember people like me love the fullsize but don't need/want one so a smaller truck is what we use. What it comes down to is what many have said on this board, GM doesn't care about the 355 twins so they are not as optimal as they could/should be, thus it is left to those who own one to continue to adapt it to their liking.

Good luck with the new Silverado if/when you get it, and don't forget to post pics.
    Last edited by Canyonaro; 08-29-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

You can buy a 5.3 Colorado very soon from dealer, but no regcab 5.3. I have a 08 regcab with the 3.7 4speed auto. It sure beats any truck that tried to go toe toe with me.

Level I Members
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    It's quite disappointing; GM SHOULD have a competitive small-midsize pickup but even their own half tons are a better value. It's not worth giving up the capability, better interior, etc for a slight increase in mileage.
    I like the Colorado because:

1.Easier to maneuver/park
    2.Lighter = better mileage and better acceleration, 1/4 times(Colorado is available w/ the 5.3L w/ VVT)
    3.Looks cool
    4.Not as much surface area to keep clean

If you brought me an LTZ Silverado to trade with my Colorado id turn it down in a hearbeat...but then again the MAIN reason I got it and not the Colorado is because Im really into drag racing and it gives me a little edge by not having a couple hundred pounds I would have had in the Silverado...and since I have the 5.3L, swapping in saaay a 6.2L is a complete drop-in and all I would have to do is tune it(I tune). The second MAIN reason is I am in my truck all day driving around, so I like being a little smaller so I can maneuver in parking lots a little easier, and I can squeeze through traffic just a little easier..

To each their own, but I will keep my Colorado

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stone4779 View Post
    I like the Colorado because:

1.Easier to maneuver/park
    2.Lighter = better mileage and better acceleration, 1/4 times(Colorado is available w/ the 5.3L w/ VVT)
    3.Looks cool
    4.Not as much surface area to keep clean

If you brought me an LTZ Silverado to trade with my Colorado id turn it down in a hearbeat...but then again the MAIN reason I got it and not the Colorado is because Im really into drag racing and it gives me a little edge by not having a couple hundred pounds I would have had in the Silverado...and since I have the 5.3L, swapping in saaay a 6.2L is a complete drop-in and all I would have to do is tune it(I tune). The second MAIN reason is I am in my truck all day driving around, so I like being a little smaller so I can maneuver in parking lots a little easier, and I can squeeze through traffic just a little easier..

To each their own, but I will keep my Colorado
    I am a Canyon owner and agree with your 1-4 points .

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information