Chargers, 300s, Challengers Too!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chargers, 300s, Challengers Too!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,348 Times in 4,476 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Chargers, 300s, Challengers Too!

As I mentioned in the Chally U-Drive-It, something came over me one overnight one night and I went driving these LX cars. Possibly I was hypnotized in absentia by George Norry or one of his alien guests:
    http://www.coasttocoastam.com/pages/george-noory
    you will buy a Challenger, you will buy a Challenger, you will buy a Challenger...

Challengers got first drives. Then when assessing needs and uses, the inevitable four-doors entered the equation. Chargers, 300s.

My first complaint with these heirs to the beloved LH Concordes, Intrepids, LHSs, etc. is the instruments are nowhere as clear and easy-viewing as those dearly departed cars' were. So this is progress. At least a digital speed redout is available by monkeying with the little-screen-between (speedo and tach).

OTOH, there is remarkable progress regarding the engine room. My first Intrepid and Concordes had the 3.3 ohv Mopar mill used extensively in Iacoccaland, which put out 163 HP and similar torkies as I recall. A 4A and very good aero, in the neighborhood of .30 Cd, served up 10-11-ish 0-60 times IIRC.
    OK, Allpar gives 11.5 for the 3.3 and 8.8 for the 3.5 cammer.

The result was a class-leading car designed and produced in just three and a half years, including a new engine. Acceleration was world class for the time, with automatic-transmission 0-60 of 8.8 seconds (3.5 liter) or 11.5 seconds (3.3 liter).

Original is at Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision, Chrysler Concorde, New Yorker, and LHS - the LH cars, 1993-1997 http://www.allpar.com/model/lh2/#ixzz2ad6MJmsB
    Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

http://www.allpar.com/model/lh2/

Now the poor country cousin base version has 78 more HP than the first-gen 3.5 (@ 214), toting an extra 400-500 lb. And 25% to 75% more gears in the slushbox.

But I digress. I knew I needed back doors. So I drove a few Chargers, then a used 2011 300. All very nice. I started negotiating, here and with dealers on the coast since there are few remaining 300/Charger in my neck of the woods that meet my specs, i.e. V6, base model, RWD. I tried to find tan upholstery but the nearest one was 350+ miles away. While the deal would probably have worked, that means having a driver bring the car here which means zero break-in miles.

At any rate, the local guy had a Charger SE with 8A (early build, Oct 2012, this is the ZF vs. the Kokomo), Connectivity Group, and Uconnect, that was on the lot for a long time. From an initial price when I drove it a couple of months ago, he came down to reasonable level thanks to dough on the hood. His Soul offer was the best solid offer I got by over a grand.

So now in the garage rests a black/black Gibbsmobile. Glad to be back in an Amurrican car.

Here's a little video of my last test drive before purchase:

2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Re: Chargers, 300s, Challengers Too!

Congrats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    So now in the garage rests a black/black Gibbsmobile. Glad to be back in an Amurrican car.
    Even though it's made in Canada

Congrats though. 3.6/8A is a great combo.

I'll be selling my car soon for a '14 Challenger...
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

^^Thanks, gentlemen. What're you driving now, JT?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Glad you like the mopars. Not my preference but glad you're back in Amurrican cars. By the way, your posts are always entertaining and funny as hell. But I don't thinks there's any doubt that you're a Mopar guy at heart. And that's okay as you've acquitted yourself quite well here. Sincerely, best wishes for you.

PS, Next year you'll be trading that in for something else, probably a Chevy, Ha HA.

Thanks
    My Ride

^^ Thanks, pont3. I try to entertain, if not actually dispersing any real facts or useful information.

I've owned four Ponchos and was for years a Poncho man. Actually I owned five, if you count the '67 twice since I owned it two separate times.

First was a 1967 Cat, then a 1968 Executive cherry machine owned by an old chap down the steet, then the 1979 Parisienne which was a pretty nice car in yellow, finally the 07 GXP whose interior was hardly inspiring but had bookoo torque and handled nicely considering.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,541 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Congrats!

Why is your 200 still in your Fuelly sig?
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Congrats!

Why is your 200 still in your Fuelly sig?
    Not still, added when Soul went away.

It's the closest thing, engine-wise, I have to the Charger. With a 19 gallon tank and the dic showing 24 puttering about town, it may be while until I get onto Fuelly again!

This thang may get =/> MPG than my Soul, with 1200 more lbs curb, 123 more cu. in. and 154 more HP. Is that a violation of some law of physics?

The sacrifices we make...
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    ^^Thanks, gentlemen. What're you driving now, JT?

'08 Cobalt SS Turbo. If I still worked for GM, I'd be in a 1LE. The R/T Super Track Pack isn't a whole lot faster than my current car, and is a bit short on power and brakes to keep up with a Camaro SS, but it's a looker, an excellent cruiser, and a very fun car to drive.

One thing I like about the 300/Charger/Challenger is that you can get virtually any kind of car you want out of them. Antithesis of one-style-fits-all. Simply put, the 300 and Charger are the cars a lot of people on this board would buy if it wasn't for the badge on the grille.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
    '08 Cobalt SS Turbo. If I still worked for GM, I'd be in a 1LE. The R/T Super Track Pack isn't a whole lot faster than my current car, and is a bit short on power and brakes to keep up with a Camaro SS, but it's a looker, an excellent cruiser, and a very fun car to drive.

One thing I like about the 300/Charger/Challenger is that you can get virtually any kind of car you want out of them. Antithesis of one-style-fits-all. Simply put, the 300 and Charger are the cars a lot of people on this board would buy if it wasn't for the badge on the grille.
    Kewlness. As I mentioned, I started here looking for Challengers. I could easily be in one today, I found what looked like a decent deal on a blue one not long ago. A base Chally can be had pretty derned cheap.

I swear I started a thread here, a couple of years back, saying the Charger is what the Grand Prix should have been. Can't find it, but perhaps it was just a comment in a GP thread.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 08-01-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MikesZ's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats. Good choice. I really like the newer Chrysler products.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

Congrats! Where's the pics?
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Barry Badrinath's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 300C AWD

Many happy miles Neanderthal.
    It took 30 years to realize I DO like Corinthian leather...

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
    Congrats. Good choice. I really like the newer Chrysler products.
    Thanks, MikesZ. I do too, expecially the LX. But then I loved the LXs and was sorry to see them go. This will work though!

Quote Originally Posted by donmateo View Post
    Congrats! Where's the pics?
    I will get my assistant right to work on that!

Did you post pics of your new Impy? As you know, I was shopping them a few months back when my wife had some major back pain. Either of these cars rides easier than the Soul did.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Badrinath View Post
    Many happy miles Neanderthal.
    Thankyuhhverruhhmuchh, Barry!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks

Congratulations! An "NCIS"-effect I see.

So how does it compare to your old 200 so far?
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information