Blatantly Unfair...Chevrolet Cobalt vs. Honda Civic by MaxLegroom

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blatantly Unfair...Chevrolet Cobalt vs. Honda Civic by MaxLegroom

Thanks

Blatantly Unfair...Chevrolet Cobalt vs. Honda Civic by MaxLegroom

This afternoon, I had the opportunity to drive the new Chevrolet Cobalt. Before I did, though, the salesman showed me a lot of the features of the new car, such as the sound deadening materials under the hood. The car I tried was a Arrival Blue Cobalt LS four door, with an automatic transmission, MP3 player stereo with the Pioneer 7 speaker system. Actually, by the time I decided to test drive the car, I showed him how the new stereo system handled mp3 files.

Even that, though, is getting ahead of the story, which began with the saleman getting the keys to the car, and me putting the seat all the way back, as usual. First thing to say, is that this was one of the less expensive cars in the lineup. Remember that the wood look dash is reserved for the LT and the satin finish aluminum look is for the LS sport (one of those, in red, was in the showroom). That part of the dash was covered in a dark grey plastic. Here's where I get to the pointlessness of fake textures in car interiors. The gearshift knob had two textures on it to look like two different types of surfaces. On this part, one would have looked plainer, but more honest. That was one of two things I disliked about the interior. The other was that driver information center doesn't display oil pressure or instantaeous fuel economy. That's it. I spent a brief moment looking at the MP3 stereo system, and was able to reason that the system would play random tracks on a disc, would go from one folder to another on the disc, and the frequency knob allows you to find exactly the track you are looking for. The sound was impressive while dealing with either downloaded files from sites such as ampcast.com or music.downloads.com, files I had ripped as variable bit rate files, or one of two files I've ripped from vinyl (i.e. The Rascals "Singing the Blues Too Long" from their 1968 album "Once Upon A Dream"). Also, the display shows the title of the song you're playing, or at least the file name. Even on this relatively basic car, it took a bit of time to observe some of the subtler details of the interior, such as the chrome on the speedometer and tachometer needles. The headrests on this car are just about right after a click up. The seats are comfortable and not confining, and the dead pedal is well placed.

Time, then to fire up the engine, which sounds much like any other four cylinder twin cam, but better than some. Until you get back behind the wheel, close the door and realize that the engine is barely audible at idle. However, there was the accompaniment of a pleasant exhaust note at full throttle.

It was during the extended rush hour that I ended up driving this car, but did get to do so at a full range of speeds, anyway. First thought still concerns the engine. The way it dropped rpms at each gearshift left me wondering what the manual will be like to drive. I suspect that will be highly entertaining. It had pretty good acceleration, and could stay ahead of the local traffic. The handling was confident, the ride supple, yet firm, and the few occasions I had to bend the car fast into a corner ended with me climibing the back of yet another SUV. It also hanled quite well when I found out that when they said 25 mph on that off ramp, the were, for once, not kidding. I might further comment that the brake pedal had a decent feel to it, which was something not usually said about its predecessor. So, at this point, I was impressed with Cobalt's dynamics. Later, down the road, I was cutting through traffic in it like it was mine.

After some discussion on what I'd like in a Cobalt (LS coupe, sport package minus the spoiler, stereo just like the one in the test car, sunroof, in Arrival Blue), I found out that the coupes aren't expected out for a few months and it'll likely be June before the supercharged SS debuts. I also found myself seriously considering this as my next car.

Afterward I stopped at a local Honda dealer. In the showroom were a Civic Si and a EX special edition, which comes with many of the amenities I'd want in a Cobalt, such as the MP3 player stereo. First of all was the shocked reaction of the salesman when I told him I'd never owned a Honda. I'll also say that when you find a method of deflating or devaluing the selling point of Japanese reliability (I bring up the Sebring's Nippon Denso A/C compressor, its only major repair), they're at a momentary loss for words. I mentioned that I'd just drove the new Cobalt, which he referred to as a toy car, in the sense that it's something to enjoy playing with. More on that later. After looking at the EX in the showroom, we went to look at a similar car, with a 5 speed, on the lot. Where Chevy uses Pioneer speakers, Honda uses a Pioneer head unit. Simply stated, it's not as good. I found the controls not to offer the features the Chevy's stereo did, and if Pioneer provided the speakers, too, then why are the mismatched enough that they cause distortion at high volume? If there was one thing I was impressed with about the Civic interior, it was the low slung feel of it. I may be past 40, but I have no problem with dropping myself into a car, particularly one I'll enjoy driving. I was also impressed with the Civic's maneuverability, as I was guided out of a space I'd have figured I couldn't get out of.

Driving the Civic, however reveals how time has marched on. It was louder on the road, and the brakes felt softer than in the Cobalt. However, while firmer riding, you realize that the Civic is still a highly responsive car otherwise, and provides a good feel of the road. It seemed not all that fast, a reasonable expectation when if you ask for more than the EX's 127 horsepower, you're pointed in the direction of the Si hatchback, and it costs over 19 grand. Brilliant. There's rumors that the next Si will be a coupe, incidentally. http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=306430

Jennifer, the girl that Car and Driver referred to as the target customer for the Civic coupe in their road test of it must be slimmer than I am, and thinner of frame. I found the seats on this car to be on the tight side, and after a while, they tended to dig into my ribs. They were otherwise comfortable.

What it finally boils down to is this. The Cobalt is definitely a better car than the current Civic. I called this article blatantly unfair because I compared a Civic that was equipped as I'd want, pretty much, with a Cobalt that was nowhere near the car I could imagine myself owning. Yet, that Cobalt made a better impression on me.

A president of McDonnell Douglas once said that the time to think about your next aircraft design was while watching the maiden flight of your latest one. I hope that Chevrolet is thinking about the Cobalt's replacement now. Being already in the process of planning in will prevent it from becoming as moldy a design (and name) as the Cavalier ended up being. The Cobalt shows that Chevrolet (and GM) can pull ahead. It will take constant work to stay there. Good luck.
    Last edited by MaxLegroom; 12-19-2004 at 10:50 AM. Reason: minor corrections

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Blatantly Unfair...Chevrolet Cobalt vs. Honda Civic by MaxLegroom

Great review, Max!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Great job Max. May the Cobalt stomp the Civic into the groud with it's performance numbers, and sales figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLegroom
    The Cobalt shows that Chevrolet (and GM) can pull ahead. It will take constant work to stay there. Good luck.
    At least the GM has given themselves a great platform on which to build from. They have the opportunity, so long as they continue to seize it and take it forward.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

Great Review. And what is with Honda dealers? Toy Car? Have they looked at their Honda Element...even in their comercials the Elements are made of plastic Legos...Hello, wake up Honda!

Thanks

Just a question about the head units, since the review was really clear and well written about everything else; Is the Civic head unit a Pioneer deck simply like you can buy in the aftermarket? If yes, yuck, aftermarket decks are usually ergonomic messes. I have a Kenwood myself, and while I like the MP3 playback and it works well, it's got a messy design. And a remote for no reason, which I have not used since I got it. When I was shopping for my deck, I looked at many different brands, and they all had similer ergonomic problems, mainly small buttons, obnoxious displays and stupid inefficiencies. It's a little lazy if they went that route, since any auto desiger worth their salt could make a better design in their sleep. Now that my very short rant about aftermarket audio is over...

It's nice to see GM finally presenting a challenger to the Civic, and making even the bottom of the line a fine car.

I don't think you should hold the dealer against the Civic though, as full of itself as it might have been. Every company has its own good and bad dealers. Why, the worst and best dealers I've ever had experience with were both dealers for the same company!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Civic CD/MP3 player(s).

Cobat CD/MP3 Player

I bet the Cobalt's 7-speaker Pioneer set-up puts the Civic's to shame. Especially with the trunk mounted sub-woofer.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

It seems like the Cobalt is GM's first class leading car that the average person can own. I think we all had high hopes for the G6 but I don't think that will be class leading until it gets a better powertrain and the Cobalt has quite an array right off the bat. Good job GM.

Thanks

Yeah i agree the Cobalt is a very awesome car for it's class. I still haven't test drove one but plan to very soon. Coupes until June thats 6 months from now. Thats a long time for the rep of the Cobalt to be Ripped to pieces or praised with greatness. Hopefully things go well for the Cobalt to succeed at release.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought SS's out in Jan??? I don't trust a word out of dealer's mouths anyway. Possibly wanted to sell you something NOW.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

Thanks

Some sales people are simply misinformed, which is too bad. From what I could find out. Saleable Cobalt coupes have started to pour out of the assembly plant since Dec. 6th. Figure that by the end of next week at least some should show up at dealers. I have heard the SS will be out a bit later in January. Not too long from now.

The 2.4L SS is not scheduled until Spring, possibly as late as June. Maybe that is what the salesperson was talking about.

Thanks

As always, thanks for the many kind words. When the Honda salesman referred to the Cobalt as a toy car, he pointed out that he meant that it was a car to have fun with(I, too, raised an eyebrow at first). Will we call him wrong on that? I could also add that when I mentioned my Sebring, it reminded him of a Fifth Avenue that had served him faithfully. Since saleable Cobalt coupes have been built since 12/6, I can expect to have to make a decision on one soon, perhaps as a birthday present to myself, if I can pull it off.

Thanks

Nice Review!

I've been looking forward to trying some of the new GM OEM MP3 players, but in the meantime, your review answers most of my questions.

I've been hoping that even the Delphi SatNav radios would have such a feature, but alas, no. Nor will the Panasonic rear DVD players play MP3 discs. Something tells me that's due to a restriction from GM; Panasonic DVD and portable DVD players I used to sell would play them just fine.

While I personally have an aftermarket Pioneer MP3 receiver and speakers in my Century, my brother has an '01 Cavalier, with the deluxe sound package. I don't think that these were done by Pioneer, but for an OEM sound system in such a high-volume car, I am impressed. I do anticipate the Pioneer system in the Cobalts (with subwoofer) to be more so, though.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Good review. Im glad to hear you were pleased with the car. I really hope this is a hit for Chevy.
    GM autos: the best investments I've ever made
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1986 chevy cavalier wagon-206,442 miles
    1989 oldsmobile cutlass-216,220 miles
    2000 chevy cavalier-52,367 miles --totalled Hidden Content
    2001 chevy cavalierZ24-80,654 (Something finally happened! Needed a new battery)

So lets see. Toyota lied about recalls. Lied about their HP ratings... I wonder how much truth is in their milage ratings..

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for that review! One of the most un-biased reviews here at GMI!

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

Thanks

Again, thanks!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information