3 Month Update: 2012 Hyundai Veloster

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Month Update: 2012 Hyundai Veloster

Thanks

3 Month Update: 2012 Hyundai Veloster

More Images:

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/rueb...dai%20Veloster

Ok guys as I did with my Rio5 I just wanted to give a 3 month update on the Veloster I purchased for those that are interested.

Pros: Economical, Stylish, Cheap, Good Features

Cons: Suspension could be better, horrible factory Tires, No spare Tire, weak a/c

I have to say this car perplexes me like no other that I have owned. Sometime I really like it a lot and sometimes I feel let down and want to trade it. For example I do like the fact that the car often gets a lot of looks and attention. People will seek you out to ask questions or ride next to you to look down into the car. This is not something that you often get for a car in this price range. Not to mention people often think it cost more than it really does.....often in the ballpark of 27-28K. I got mine pre-owned with 15K on the clock for 15K. I just had a trade in evaluation done on the car and at the local Chevy dealer they offered me 14.5K but I said no and they eventually said they would go up another 1K. So I guess I really did get into the car with a good price.

I like the seating and sometimes the car can ride smooth when the roads allow. With the factory tires I had one blow out from a road imperfection and two impact bubbles in different tires. So I had to replace all four which I did while increasing the tire size from 215/40/18 to 225/40/18 and the difference is night and day. The car now feels better planted, the windshield wipers no longer come on from impacts, and the car handles corners better not letting the tail come loose as much. The car breaks really well so this is one thing they really got right. Still there are areas where they seemed to have rushed the car to production.

First the car can do a weird bank to the front corner if you are breaking and turning sharp. I can't explain it as I have never had a car do this before and let me tell you I have driven a lot. The engine is cool but it does need a tad more power and I could not tolerate the car if it was not a stick. I know how to get what I need out of it but it does take work. Materials inside are good in how they look but are not soft touch. Usually this would bother me but I really like the look so I kind of let it go. Plus they try to pad the areas you often touch so you don't have to feel bad about it. Take the dash....it looks good but touch it and it is Tonka Toy hard. I can live with it for the price because I don't stroke the dash every day.

As we all know Hyundai lied about fuel numbers and it is well known on their forums that the computers in the car are geared to lie also. For example on recent road trips I did get amazing fuel numbers but I had a hard time imagining that at 75MPG and 3K RPM I was getting 45-50 MPG. So what I found after reading post and doing my own calculations (I am a speed demon) I get between 25-28 City and 34-38 Highway. Not that far off the published 27/37 without really trying or the original 28-40.

Another week spot is the A/C system which in Houston heat really struggles and when it does have to pull its weight it takes that little extra zing out of the motor so that is when I fell like I am driving something sluggish and I have to change my driving so that I don't get angry with the lack of refinement and power that starts to surface. I have also been in for 3 repairs to the service center and fortunately my car passed the test for the panoramic roof so I should not have to deal with it exploding out of the blue.

Still over all I have to say I don’t know of anything else I would have purchased for the price as I am a hatch lover. The Focus which is better is too common and Chevy has no choice. Buick lied about bringing the Astra 3 door, Audi A3's look to dull, and the Volvo C30 or whatever it is call was made to look really ugly to me. I have found out that a strut brace and some aftermarket braces under the car are supposed to cure the suspension ills. Also I am going to add projector head lights, cross drill rotors, and some light weight 19's. I think this will keep me interested at least for a little while longer. If you have any question just let me know maybe you know someone that is looking at one.

Video of the Audio System:

2012 Hyundai Veloster
    2008 Ford F150 Regular Cab
    Future car: Cadillac ELR or Tesla Model S

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,158 Times in 4,388 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: 3 Month Update: 2012 Hyundai Veloster

Thanks for the update, rueben. What brand/model tires are you using now?
    I replaced the Nexens when our Soul was new and the upsize/upbrand made a HUGE difference. Night-and-day is how I described it also.

I checked out Velosters after I purchased my Soul. While spiffy and very attractive, I doubt I'll be returning to something so close to the ground! I love my chair heights.

The third door is absolute genius. Simple, and as obvious a solution to the coupe-access problem as a punch in the nose.
    I'm waiting for ONE of the Shrinking3 to do likewise for their Pony Car. I'm guessing Chrysler/Fiat is the most likely to take a leap like that. Staid GM is probably the least likely.

We share the same 1.6 GDI mill, and I find it quite adequate though it ain't no Chrysler 200/V6 fershur.

What do you think of the carbon discussion regarding GDIs?

Your car shows how big a difference aero makes. The Veloster probably has a .30 or less Cd, whereas the Soul is pushing .42. With the auto I'm also running 25 MPH/1000RPM in top gear, so a 75 cruise is three grand, but it's a quiet three grand. CD says my car has a drag-limited top end of 110.

Poopoo on H/K for their MPG Tall Tales. Since I bought new in the fortunate time frame, they give me a credit card to make up for MPGs. My DIC tends to be 1.5 to 2.5 MPG optimistic. Two-over seems to be its favorite fib.

Very handsome car, cool regarding the comments you're getting. And people following you around...maybe you should tell people you're Bon Jovi or someone like that.

My AC seems A-OK, I wonder if H & K use the same unit? Are these the same platforms? I haven't been cooking in the middle of summer yet, nor do I live in Houston, so we'll see how that works out with a black car. I have noticed the car does NOT get as hot as most others do, sitting in the sun. I can only presume there's some top-secret window tint that KIA is using, since a black box should get hot as hades sitting in the sun.

Thanks again for the update. Perhaps I'll do one for my 9-month anniversary, coming in early June.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Thanks for the update, rueben. What brand/model tires are you using now?
    I replaced the Nexens when our Soul was new and the upsize/upbrand made a HUGE difference. Night-and-day is how I described it also.

I checked out Velosters after I purchased my Soul. While spiffy and very attractive, I doubt I'll be returning to something so close to the ground! I love my chair heights.

The third door is absolute genius. Simple, and as obvious a solution to the coupe-access problem as a punch in the nose.
    I'm waiting for ONE of the Shrinking3 to do likewise for their Pony Car. I'm guessing Chrysler/Fiat is the most likely to take a leap like that. Staid GM is probably the least likely.
    Um, GM already did the 3 door coupe, it was called the Saturn SC. I would much rather drive that then the Veloster. Plus with the 1.8 DOHC engine and 5-speed manual those car's were fun to drive and got great gas milage.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

^^ Saturn's gone. Today is today.

That said, good for GM in providing a 3rd door. Who else has used this solution over the years?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

^^ Saturn's gone. Today is today.

That said, good for GM in providing a 3rd door. Who else has used this solution over the years?
    Saturn is gone, but the SC Coupe looks 100x better then the Veloster. So it could be said that GM was the first to design an attractive 3 door coupe.

Secondly, the SC had a 1.9L I-4 compared to the 1.6L for the Veloster, and had a 5-speed manual compared to the 6-speed of the Veloster, yet when you compare the EPA FE specs (adjusted for post 2008 standards) they are virtually the same.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

Thanks
    My Ride

I hate to waste keystrokes debating you, but attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

How many of those did Saturn sell? Did Saturn ever turn a profit?

EPA is beside the point.

Who else has used this 3-door coupe idea?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Infiniti G35 coupe

Mazda RX-8 has for many years.

Thanks

Well is you like that particular Saturn then hats off to you. I loved the quad doors and the center gauge. Actually I was going to purchase a Redline once but I did not like it when they told me I could not upgrade the wheels to a bigger size without voiding the warranty. I realize the Veloster is a love it or hate it car as it took time to grow on me but trust me the Saturn was no match.

I had not heard anything about a carbon issue.....interesting. I also had the same mill in my 2012 Rio5 but I did not have it long enough to see any real issues I guess. I do notice it was a big faster in the Kia as the V is a bigger car. The tires I purchased were cheap...Hankook Vensas or something like that but I have to say they are really exceeding my expectations. Now what sucks is of course no rebate card for me and I only cashed in my card on my Kia once but it was a nice little $130 dollars or so...just as I was heading out of town on a vacation thank you.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster

Thanks
    My Ride

2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,550 Times in 2,575 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Still slower than an Malibu???

Not too bad of a car honestly. There is a lot of room in them and they are certainly aimed at younger people but I see way more old folks in them than I ever thought I would.

Thanks

Red face Re: 3 Month Update: 2012 Hyundai Veloster

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Still slower than an Malibu???

Not too bad of a car honestly. There is a lot of room in them and they are certainly aimed at younger people but I see way more old folks in them than I ever thought I would.
    Actually no I have a six speed and I know how to push the car....a Malibu like I drove would not stand a chance. Then there are those little things called corners......over....unless a/c is blasting. Still I have to say it will cruise at 90-100+ like a champ really impressed when I tried it a couple times.

Now if what they say is true about the WOT and Injector cleaning I may be good....one it gets plenty of the first and second I usually do injector cleaning ever 5K on my cars. But honestly I may not have the car that long since Chevy announce the Spark electric at under 30K. That would let me have an old school for the weekends and an electric during the week.
    Last edited by rueben44; 05-25-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,550 Times in 2,575 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

So, six speed or not, the Veloster is still slower than a Malibu Eco which you made a huge deal about being slow. I guess that puts it in a little perspective though.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

I hate to waste keystrokes debating you, but attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

How many of those did Saturn sell? Did Saturn ever turn a profit?

EPA is beside the point.

Saturn sold 220,506 SC coupes from 1997-2001, for an average of 44,101 per year. And remember, the SC was the coupe version of the SL, which sold 808,685 units in the same time period.

Up until 2002 Saturn only sold small cars. Pray tell what GM division booked a profit on small car sales in the same time frame, primarily on the J-body? And Saturn had the unique platform costs associated with the Z-body, that they did not share with the other divisions, plus unique powertrain options.

How is EPA beyond the point? I love reading your post on GMI, and look forward to any new posts of yours, but you are still a Hyundai fan, just like I am a GM fan. And Hyundai just got burned a year ago lying about FE, and their revised numbers after that scandal are noting to talk about. Just saying, GM with a car with similar weight but a higher CD, larger non-DI engine, and with a shorter overdrive gear, got the same FE 12 years ago as Hyundai is getting today. The Veloster is no magic feat of engineering that some make it out to be, except that it has eccentric styling. Well, so does the Nissan Cube and Juke, your Soul, and countless other cars. Did I mention the Aztec?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by rueben44 View Post
    Well is you like that particular Saturn then hats off to you. I loved the quad doors and the center gauge. Actually I was going to purchase a Redline once but I did not like it when they told me I could not upgrade the wheels to a bigger size without voiding the warranty. I realize the Veloster is a love it or hate it car as it took time to grow on me but trust me the Saturn was no match.

I had not heard anything about a carbon issue.....interesting. I also had the same mill in my 2012 Rio5 but I did not have it long enough to see any real issues I guess. I do notice it was a big faster in the Kia as the V is a bigger car. The tires I purchased were cheap...Hankook Vensas or something like that but I have to say they are really exceeding my expectations. Now what sucks is of course no rebate card for me and I only cashed in my card on my Kia once but it was a nice little $130 dollars or so...just as I was heading out of town on a vacation thank you.
    What are you talking about? I mentioned the 97-02 SC z-platform car, and you are talking about the 2003-2007 Ion, specifically the 04-07 Redline version of that car, which was Delta, just like the Cobalt.

Oh and by the way the Saturn Redline with the non-DI 2.0 Supercharged LSJ engine made 4 more HP and 5 ft/lbs of torque more then the Veloster. They are both mid-14 second cars. I don't see how the Veloster would wipe the floor with the ION.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    So, six speedsor not, the Veloster is still slower than a Malibu Eco which you made a huge deal about being slow. I guesn that puts in in a little perspective though.
    I don't think even with official numbers the eco is faster they may be rated the same or the Malibu is slower. In any case when you are doing 60 and need passing power or even at 30 the 6 speed will out perform the heavier and slower auto Bu not knocking it really. If you love old Saturns and feel they are better than the Veloster then more power to you there is nothing I can do with that one. Just sharing my experience with this car is all. I am a GM guy and will and have purchased from many different makes. I only refuse to buy Toyotas and Hondas unless it is an investment. I do think GM is being silly by ignoring this segment, in the US, except the higher priced Encore.
    2012 Hyundai Veloster

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information