2107 Kia Soul ! (new turbo model) review

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2107 Kia Soul ! (new turbo model) review

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

2107 Kia Soul ! (new turbo model) review

Last week we traded in our CX-3 for a new Kia Soul Turbo. Nothing really wrong with the CX-3 and I liked it a lot, but after driving almost 60,000 miles on it in the last 14 months for work, and wanting something a BIT taller, we figured we'd try something new (the CX-3 is about the size of a Pontiac Vibe...slightly taller/higher than a typical sedan, but no-where near as tall as a typical compact crossover)

-I was looking for a Soul with the 7-speed DCT and the turbo engine, but didn't want it loaded up (didn't want the big sunroof or other pricey options.) We got ours stickering for about $23,600...dealer discounted it close to invoice...and we got another $1000 off by financing through Kia Financing. Of course, any dealer can say the discount is whatever they want, pending how they value the trade. Some notes:

-The interior is very comfortable to me. Upright seats and very good visibility to the front and sides. The quality of the interior seems a tad below our CX-3, but that doesn't bother me much.

-There is some 'turbo lag' from the engine. When you hit the gas, it takes about 1/2 second for the turbo to kick in, but when it does..it really goes. MUCH faster/quicker than our CX-3.

-DCT transmission. There is a bit of a 'shudder' like most DCT's when starting from a standstill, but it isn't very noticable. You have to pay attention to notice it. It is a lot less than in our daughters Ford Focus.

-MPG so far...I seem to be getting 1-2 mpg less than our CX-3. On a trip already taken on a rural road (55 mph, very few stops and fairly flat), with the Cruise set on 55 mph....returned MPG is in the upper 30's (36.5 is what I got for the 100+ mile round trip with 2 stops) If past experience with Turbo cars holds true...I'm guessing if you baby this you will easily exceed the EPA rating..but if you cause the turbo to spool up, the MPGs will plummet more than in a NA engined vehicle.

-No rattles or shakes of any kind. The ride is fine to me...not as smooth as a full size car, but comparable to out CX-3.

-Android Auto. I tried it...didn't like it at first..but got used to it over the weekend...but I think I'm not going to use it. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't really use my phone for calls or texting when I'm driving (the car does have a traditional bluetooth phone option in addition to the Android Auto option.) The biggest issue for me is for navigation...I think I'm going to go with a standalone Nav unit. In our CX-3, the in-car nav system was set up on top of the dashboard..so I got used to looking at the NAV screen by only glancing slightly away from the road. In the Soul, the Radio/Nav screen is set lower in the dashboard. I have to glance down away from the road to see it. Not a big deal, but I'm used to having it set up higher.

-The glove box is massive, the largest I have ever had in any car.

-Side mirrors are a bit small. Not so small they are dangerous or reduce visibility, but in our last few cars every one had larger ones.

-I have only found 1 USB port so far. No big deal, but in our other recent cars, there have always been 2 (and in some cases 3)

Thats all I have for now. I'm taking a pretty long trip in it tomorrow (round trip to Syracuse NY and back) so it will by far be the most time I spent in it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

2b2 (02-27-2017),Torches & Pitchforks (02-28-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Soul+

Re: 2107 Kia Soul ! (new turbo model) review

Congrats on your new wheels, mjd! Looking forward to updated reports. This car is not totally off my radar, but lack of dual zone is a real issue.

Nonetheless, if this powertrain can achieve high 30s MPG, my brain will shift around a bit. With drag coefficient in the low 40s, that will be interesting to see.

A Forte5 or GT Elantra with the 1.6T/178HP would be a killah combo IMO.

Pitchers welcome!
    “Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.”
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened.”--Winston Churchill

"Nothing circulates so rapidly as a secret."
    --Letitia Elizabeth Landon

"Irony is lost on them."--Chris Plante

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

350 miles of mostly highway (NY thruway) driving yesterday with the cruise set at 65mph....37.0 mph per the trip computer.

140 mile today of round trip country/highway driving (cruise set at 55mph), 40.4mph per the trip computer.

Next full tank of gas, I'm going to test the trip computer accuracy.

Now the driving I did the last 2 days....VERY few stops and I really kept right at the speed limit....If I came across merging traffic I slowed down rather than speed up to pass/merge.

Driving conditions were nearly perfect though. Level, flat terrain, light wind, little traffic, and temperatures in the 50's for the most part.
    Last edited by mjd1001; 03-01-2017 at 03:01 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

Torches & Pitchforks (03-01-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,128 Times in 4,372 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

OK, had it 3 weeks, mjd, what new with your Soul?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

After a few weeks, no major problems, but a few observations:

-The turbo lag either is going away or I'm really getting used to it. Same thing for the tranmission DCT 'judder'. It is still there a tiny bit, but I really don't notice it anymore unless I pay attention.

-The trip computer does seem off by 5-10%. With all my other recent cars (mostly Mazda but going back to our GM cars too), when I calculated the MPG manually, it pretty much matched the trip computer. I always wondered why people said the mpg showed by the tip computer was off by so much..it never happened with me. Well, with the Soul, I'm through a few full tanks of gas and it seems off here. On mostly Highway trips, it is consistently showing 33- 35mph...while I am cosistently calculating by hand 2-3mpg less.

-The steering is much lighter than I am used to. In all the Mazda vehicles we have recently owned (CX-3, CX-5, Mazda 3 and Mazda 6), it took more effort to turn the wheel but you didn't have to turn it as far as in the Kia. Nothing good or bad, just different.

-I haven't done any tests on using different fuel, but I have gone to a few Kia message boards (and Veloster message boards as well as the Turbo Veloster uses the same engine and tranny) and it seems from some people who have run quite a few Dyno runs on their engine...this particular engine does well on Premium Fuel. One guy ran quite a few dyno runs on his Turbo Veloster and he was getting a consistent 20hp more at the wheels on 93 octane than on 87 octane.

-On my first trip back to the dealership, I'm going to see if I can get them to adjust the steering wheel. The car runs straight, no alignment issues, but when you are driving straight the steering wheel is turned slightly to the right (clockwise). My wife doesn't even notice it, but it is something that I notice.

-The single best thing about the car so far is the Visibility. The greenhouse is so big, that is is easy to see pretty much everything around you and in front of you.

-The car has Android Auto and it works pretty well, but I decided not to use it. The only thing I would really use it for is navigation, but I prefer to use a stand alone unit. In our CX-3, I used the Mazda Navigation and I liked it better...not because it was better than Google Maps...but I liked that Mazda has their screen on top of the dash. When you are looking at it, you really don't have to take your eyes off of the road that much. The Kia info screen is in the middle of the dash...I just don't like looking down that far away from the road when using the Nav.

I'm happy with the car overall. IF Mazda offered the CX-3 with more power I would probably go back to a CX-3 next year....but for now, the 3100 lb Soul with 201 hp and FWD is slightly more fun to drive than the old 2900 lb CX-3 with AWD And 146 hp...if for no reason other than the extra bit of power.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (03-26-2017)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,128 Times in 4,372 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    After a few weeks, no major problems, but a few observations:

-The turbo lag either is going away or I'm really getting used to it. Same thing for the tranmission DCT 'judder'. It is still there a tiny bit, but I really don't notice it anymore unless I pay attention.

-The trip computer does seem off by 5-10%. With all my other recent cars (mostly Mazda but going back to our GM cars too), when I calculated the MPG manually, it pretty much matched the trip computer. I always wondered why people said the mpg showed by the tip computer was off by so much..it never happened with me. Well, with the Soul, I'm through a few full tanks of gas and it seems off here. On mostly Highway trips, it is consistently showing 33- 35mph...while I am cosistently calculating by hand 2-3mpg less.

-The steering is much lighter than I am used to. In all the Mazda vehicles we have recently owned (CX-3, CX-5, Mazda 3 and Mazda 6), it took more effort to turn the wheel but you didn't have to turn it as far as in the Kia. Nothing good or bad, just different.

-I haven't done any tests on using different fuel, but I have gone to a few Kia message boards (and Veloster message boards as well as the Turbo Veloster uses the same engine and tranny) and it seems from some people who have run quite a few Dyno runs on their engine...this particular engine does well on Premium Fuel. One guy ran quite a few dyno runs on his Turbo Veloster and he was getting a consistent 20hp more at the wheels on 93 octane than on 87 octane.

-On my first trip back to the dealership, I'm going to see if I can get them to adjust the steering wheel. The car runs straight, no alignment issues, but when you are driving straight the steering wheel is turned slightly to the right (clockwise). My wife doesn't even notice it, but it is something that I notice.

-The single best thing about the car so far is the Visibility. The greenhouse is so big, that is is easy to see pretty much everything around you and in front of you.

-The car has Android Auto and it works pretty well, but I decided not to use it. The only thing I would really use it for is navigation, but I prefer to use a stand alone unit. In our CX-3, I used the Mazda Navigation and I liked it better...not because it was better than Google Maps...but I liked that Mazda has their screen on top of the dash. When you are looking at it, you really don't have to take your eyes off of the road that much. The Kia info screen is in the middle of the dash...I just don't like looking down that far away from the road when using the Nav.

I'm happy with the car overall. IF Mazda offered the CX-3 with more power I would probably go back to a CX-3 next year....but for now, the 3100 lb Soul with 201 hp and FWD is slightly more fun to drive than the old 2900 lb CX-3 with AWD And 146 hp...if for no reason other than the extra bit of power.
    Thaxx for the update, mjd!

My fuel calculator was almost always one to two MPG optimistic. The very best MPG I ever got was about 32.2 IIRC. Fuelly knows.

20 HP? Not bad. Premium around here is WAAAY more expensive than regular, whereas in the Inland NW the three grades were separated by 10 cents each.

Steering wheel must be STRAIGHT!

I linked my phone to the UVO and it worked fine. I have a separate Nav unit and I don't think my model had nav.

I LOVED the visibility in my Soul. The steering should have three settings. I kept mine on the easiest, 1962 Cadillac light. All the cool people at Soul forums kept it on Sport.
    The 34' + something turning circle is VERY handy.

I just leased a 6 Touring so we can trade war stories. I'll start a thread soon. I'll say the factory nav is not apparently up to the quality and coloring of my 200+ dollar Garmin unit. The 6 rides better than my Soul did, vis is worse, power is better, I like the tan upholstery, and the swivel headlights are TRICK.

More later when I start the thread.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,128 Posts

I would have expected vehicles to no longer be powered by dead dinosaurs in 2107. Do they still roll on tires or do we finally have hover cars?
    Last edited by SP1966; 03-26-2017 at 02:36 PM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Thaxx for the update, mjd!

My fuel calculator was almost always one to two MPG optimistic. The very best MPG I ever got was about 32.2 IIRC. Fuelly knows.

20 HP? Not bad. Premium around here is WAAAY more expensive than regular, whereas in the Inland NW the three grades were separated by 10 cents each.

Steering wheel must be STRAIGHT!

I linked my phone to the UVO and it worked fine. I have a separate Nav unit and I don't think my model had nav.

I LOVED the visibility in my Soul. The steering should have three settings. I kept mine on the easiest, 1962 Cadillac light. All the cool people at Soul forums kept it on Sport.
    The 34' + something turning circle is VERY handy.

I just leased a 6 Touring so we can trade war stories. I'll start a thread soon. I'll say the factory nav is not apparently up to the quality and coloring of my 200+ dollar Garmin unit. The 6 rides better than my Soul did, vis is worse, power is better, I like the tan upholstery, and the swivel headlights are TRICK.

More later when I start the thread.
    I know I mentioned on these forums a couple years ago that I think out Mazda 6 was my favorite vehicle ever so far (believe it or not, right up there with our Pentastar, 3.6 powered Avenger. Yes, I really did like an Avenger, I had ZERO problems with it and it was very comfortable with 280+ HP.)
    Our 6 was a 2014, the same style and engine as the new 2017's, minus the recent updated interior. I drive a lot of miles for work and usually get a new car every 40,000-60,000 miles (usually before needing new tires and before needing new brakes for sure.) However, I liked our 6 so much that I had decided I was going to buy the new set of tires and keep that car another year or two.

Shortly after hitting 50,000 miles on it though, a Dear ran across the road and into the side of it. Ended up getting a Mazda 3 as the next car.

Of course, just about every car would be great with a little more power, but I was happy with the performance of our 6. Plus, for a car as large as it was, if you kept it around the speed limit, I had several trips (mostly highway) were I averaged 40MPG or slightly over.

Of the last 3 new cars we have bought, I have considered the Mazda 6 each time (especially since the new interior update that I love) but the main reason we haven't gotten one is I am trying to stay away from cars in general and go with vehicles a tad bit higher (for ease of getting into and out of).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (03-26-2017)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information