2017 Mazda6

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: 2017 Mazda6

  1. #1
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,609
    Thanks
    8,837
    Thanked 7,182 Times in 4,405 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    2017 Mazda6

    After 6 days and 400 miles, here's my initial report on my Maz6 Touring, dark blue/parchment (tan).

    Considering this car is a 2.5 vs. 2.0 liter, 184 HP @5700 vs. 164 HP @6200, 185 lb-ft @3250 vs. 151 lb-ft @ 4000, claimed curb weight of 3305 vs. 2817, 6A vs. 6A, its power is relatively effortless, it's certainly quicker, and my first tank of beating around town and highway was 32.5 MPG which is better than the best in my Soul which was 32.2. Interestingly, 32.2 is also the best tank in my '13 Soul 1.6 as well as my '11 200 V6.

    GOOD MOVE this trade. Car is much smoother, more relaxed, quieter, and it's nice to be able to get well into the 200s in a tank of fuel without seeing the 1/2 level. I really appreciate range.
    In the Soul I used lots of heavy throttle. Maz6, not so much. The trannie is also less intrusive. I can still occasionally feel the downshift, subtly, but it was nothing like the Soul's downshifts. Which I have yet to figure out WHY.

    I've read all sorts of ghastly reports regarding the stock 225.45.19 Dunlop SP5000s. I don't find them loud, harsh, squirmy, or otherwise unpleasant in any way. They don't break loose as easily as the Soul would break loose the P7s or the WS80s either, for that matter. I didn't notice any untoward behavior during a foray in today's downpours which have officially christened the car who I've tentatively named Hambone.

    The factory nav is definitely not worth the 400 bucks. Give me a Garmin Nuvi.

    The car is packed together so tight I haven't found any panel gaps to run RD or dashcam wires under. Most other cars have had enough gaps to make that so simple even a Neanderthal could do it. So I'm deferring to the guy at Best Buy to figure out how to plug Valentine1 in. All of a sudden I ran into three or four radar traps in the last week, after going months seeing nobody out doing any speed trap stuff. Even a guy, statie I guess, out on 475 on foot shooting his little lidar at us innocent victims. Whatever.

    I recently saw some whippersnapper at MT, IIRC, reviewing some car, I forget what. He was discombobulated by the "glide" of the car because it did not shift down as speed decreased. He was puzzled and near-disoriented.
    Hey, trannies cost more than brakes, dood! That's all I know about it.

    I'm still figuring out the little computer device. I don't know what other makers else uses the skinny little stick just like old cars used to have universally, to reset the trip meter but this car has one sticking out of the upper right side of the instruments. In the Good Old Days they were little knobs at the base of the speedo/tach pod. I never saw it and had to look in the book to discover it existed.

    One little touch missing. The Soul had a little holder in the gas door to hold the cap. I don't see one here. Small touch, but it keeps the cap from eventually scratching the paint where it drops by the side of the car.

    I like the auto-dimming outside L mirror. I really like the swiveling headlights. Cool. I don't like the plain, Germanic dashboard with instruments that are, well, plain and Germanic.

    More power. More comfort. More quiet. More efficiency. More payments. Me like.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-31-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

    Hidden Content

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (03-31-2017),2b2 (03-31-2017),ChrisGinNC (04-01-2017),neshapop (04-01-2017),SP1966 (03-31-2017),sydtron (03-31-2017)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Ed753's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    19,006
    Thanks
    12,453
    Thanked 8,247 Times in 4,865 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    So are you keeping the hamster car?


    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

  5. #3
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,609
    Thanks
    8,837
    Thanked 7,182 Times in 4,405 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Traded, cash is in the bank where it is guarded by our Servants In Worshington.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

    Hidden Content

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (04-02-2017),Ed753 (03-31-2017)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,714
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    A year after purchasing my Mazda6 Touring (manual, not automatic), I have very few complaints. The navigation is nice, but doesn't launch when the temperature is below 40 degrees. Fuel economy is typically 30-31 mpg. More roomy (and definitely more fuel efficient) than the Jaguar X-Type 2.5 I traded, but the power is just a little lacking. Everyone is very surprised at how much they like riding in the car. It's a very nice car and better than my Jag in nearly every aspect...but I still miss the X-Type.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:

    2b2 (03-31-2017),Neanderthal (03-31-2017)

  10. #5
    emh
    emh is offline
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 emh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,595
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 597 Posts

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Does your car have SkyActiv? Does it fly?

    Most badges I see on the back of a car are self-explanatory: Turbo, Hybrid, V8, 3.0, EV, Eco whatever, even Kompressor. But SkyActiv seems to belong on a plane. I suppose I could Google but more fun to ask (especially if it flies!).
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

  11. #6
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,609
    Thanks
    8,837
    Thanked 7,182 Times in 4,405 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    A year after purchasing my Mazda6 Touring (manual, not automatic), I have very few complaints. The navigation is nice, but doesn't launch when the temperature is below 40 degrees. Fuel economy is typically 30-31 mpg. More roomy (and definitely more fuel efficient) than the Jaguar X-Type 2.5 I traded, but the power is just a little lacking. Everyone is very surprised at how much they like riding in the car. It's a very nice car and better than my Jag in nearly every aspect...but I still miss the X-Type.
    Seem like more than the normal % at Maz6 forums have sticks.
    I was so put out by the somewhat clueless H/K sales staff that I fished around at the Jag and other higher-priced-spreads websites. I even reconsidered an Acura ILX. This is more car for probably about the same money.
    I always wanted a Jag.
    Nearest dealer is in Ann Are-bore I believe. Fitty+ mile. That kinda took care of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Does your car have SkyActiv? Does it fly?

    Most badges I see on the back of a car are self-explanatory: Turbo, Hybrid, V8, 3.0, EV, Eco whatever, even Kompressor. But SkyActiv seems to belong on a plane. I suppose I could Google but more fun to ask (especially if it flies!).
    Yes, emh, it is A Flying Car, as seen in the 60s on the cover of Pop Sci, Pop Mechanics, Science and Mekanixxx, etc. I'm surprised you haven't seen more around. Why I saw two Mazdas just today, they're out there like gang-bangers in the 90s.

    You will probably need to contact either Billy-Bob McMazdaface or wiki to discover The Meaning Of Skyactiv. I read about it when it was new but it made such an impression that it sunk so deep I can't find it now. You're on your own!
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-31-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

    Hidden Content

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    2b2 (03-31-2017)

  13. #7
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    9,017
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,428 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    And here I thought I was the only one who used a dash cam.
    Hidden Content

    I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

    Hidden Content

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

    Neanderthal (03-31-2017),neshapop (04-01-2017)

  15. #8
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,609
    Thanks
    8,837
    Thanked 7,182 Times in 4,405 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    And here I thought I was the only one who used a dash cam.
    Your avatar, that's your dash cam, right?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

    Hidden Content

  16. #9
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. George, Ut.
    Posts
    9,683
    Thanks
    12,125
    Thanked 3,452 Times in 2,236 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Nice to hear a little bit about how it drives and handles. I've read that these are not the car to buy if one dislikes rather firm underpinnings. How do you feel about that part? Thx. BTW Neanderthal, I just joined you in the ranks of having something new. No more Malibu. Tues the 28th I traded it on a brand new left over 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD. They had a price of $22,287 on it down from list of $27,695 so I took the bait and went for it. I'm in love with it and it's so much easier for my 58 yr. old achy body to get in and out of it after a rough day at work and such.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

    Ed753 (04-02-2017)

  18. #10
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,609
    Thanks
    8,837
    Thanked 7,182 Times in 4,405 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Nice to hear a little bit about how it drives and handles. I've read that these are not the car to buy if one dislikes rather firm underpinnings. How do you feel about that part? Thx. BTW Neanderthal, I just joined you in the ranks of having something new. No more Malibu. Tues the 28th I traded it on a brand new left over 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD. They had a price of $22,287 on it down from list of $27,695 so I took the bait and went for it. I'm in love with it and it's so much easier for my 58 yr. old achy body to get in and out of it after a rough day at work and such.
    It's certainly firmer than Optima, Sonata, Elantra. But none of those is a float-boat from the 60s or 70s. Or 80s?

    It IS firm, it's still more comfortable than the Soul but then this cost fitty percent more it should be. I LIKE flat cornering, the one thing I didn't like about my second Soul was they softened the suspension up a bit so it did lean and up high I could feel the tippy. My 2013 Soul was VERY firm and rolled hardly at all, but it of course rode even harder than the '15.

    I guess you could say this is the Mazda the car mags talk about. It's plenty quick for my needs, more than a few seconds at full boil and I'm over any limit by a good margin. The car is comfortable and quiet. Maybe not to Optima levels, but from where I came from and where I am now I'm pleased.

    My bones aren't getting any younger either. I thought ingress-egress would be more of an issue. Not so much.
    I was always whacking my head on the Charger, but not here for some reason. Those cars are about the same height.
    And at first when I got out, my feets hit the ground prematurely, compared to what I was used to. Coming out from a 27" high chair to one about 22.5" is a significant difference. I've adjusted.

    The climate system seems to need a wee bit less fiddling. But it's not a set-and-forget, since none of us stay at a constant temp all day every day. I DO appreciate the dual zone, and I'm sure my wife will too. Every car should have it.

    I'll report on how my wife likes it. It's best to trade when she's out of town. I get to test the headlights for an hour night run soon. Still trying to figure out the real purpose of the Detroit Metro Airport PD. Harassment seems to be Job #1.
    The authority could do a far better job with traffic stacks. What a bunch of maroons!
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 03-31-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

    Hidden Content

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (04-01-2017)

  20. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. George, Ut.
    Posts
    9,683
    Thanks
    12,125
    Thanked 3,452 Times in 2,236 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    It's certainly firmer than Optima, Sonata, Elantra. But none of those is a float-boat from the 60s or 70s. Or 80s?

    It IS firm, it's still more comfortable than the Soul but then this cost fitty percent more it should be. I LIKE flat cornering, the one thing I didn't like about my second Soul was they softened the suspension up a bit so it did lean and up high I could feel the tippy. My 2013 Soul was VERY firm and rolled hardly at all, but it of course rode even harder than the '15.

    I guess you could say this is the Mazda the car mags talk about. It's plenty quick for my needs, more than a few seconds at full boil and I'm over any limit by a good margin. The car is comfortable and quiet. Maybe not to Optima levels, but from where I came from and where I am now I'm pleased.

    My bones aren't getting any younger either. I thought ingress-egress would be more of an issue. Not so much.
    I was always whacking my head on the Charger, but not here for some reason. Those cars are about the same height.
    And at first when I got out, my feets hit the ground prematurely, compared to what I was used to. Coming out from a 27" high chair to one about 22.5" is a significant difference. I've adjusted.

    The climate system seems to need a wee bit less fiddling. But it's not a set-and-forget, since none of us stay at a constant temp all day every day. I DO appreciate the dual zone, and I'm sure my wife will too. Every car should have it.

    I'll report on how my wife likes it. It's best to trade when she's out of town. I get to test the headlights for an hour night run soon. Still trying to figure out the real purpose of the Detroit Metro Airport PD. Harassment seems to be Job #1.
    The authority could do a far better job with traffic stacks. What a bunch of maroons!
    I've found the same thing to be true about the climate control system in the Rogue. It has the "dual zone automatic climate control" feature but still needs adjusting periodically as the outside temps change. Something else, my dad wanted to come along when I did the final dealing and he was in the showroom checking out an Altima and had to pull me aside and show me that the ingress egress thing was far better with it than the Malibu I was trading. I did take note of that but getting an SUV was more important to me than getting another car.

  21. #12
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    9,017
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 1,428 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Your avatar, that's your dash cam, right?
    Lol, no.
    Hidden Content

    I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

    Hidden Content

  22. #13
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    5,540
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked 171 Times in 108 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    If I am on the market for family sedan this would be my pick too, congrats, N.

    Although I would go for that metallic bright red paint option.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to neshapop For This Useful Post:

    Neanderthal (04-05-2017)

  24. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. George, Ut.
    Posts
    9,683
    Thanks
    12,125
    Thanked 3,452 Times in 2,236 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    Quote Originally Posted by neshapop View Post
    If I am on the market for family sedan this would be my pick too, congrats, N.

    Although I would go for that metallic bright red paint option.
    I would go for the "notice me" colors with this car too because it is one that wears them well IMO.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

    Neanderthal (04-05-2017)

  26. #15
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL and Upstate NY
    Posts
    4,688
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 438 Times in 225 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

    Re: 2017 Mazda6

    We have talked about this before, as my recent Mazda 6 was my favorite car that we've had in the past few years.

    I was thinking about the comments you made about the tires. I know 90% of tires that come on OEM cars are pretty bad, but the Dunlops that came on the 19" wheels of our Mazda 6 weren't bad at all. Probably not the best, but at no time did I ever wish for different tires. They even did pretty well (not too much sliding and slipping) when they already had about 20,000 miles on them and went through a Buffalo/Rochester NY winter.

    Once summer hits...if you take it on the highway and keep it near the speed limit, you should be getting close to 40mpg. I had several trips where both the trip computer and calculating it by hand showed us getting 40mpg or a bit over on summer highway trips (once again, if you keep it under 70mph).

    The car isn't fast, but it 'feels' quicker than 184hp. I think the transmission, while only a 6 speed, is one of the more efficient ones on the market. I read someplace that this particular 6 speed has less friction in it...so it allows more power to get from the engine to the wheels than most other autos on the market. It isn't fast, but if you didn't know better and had to guess, most people would probably guess it had 200-210hp...not 184.

    My wife misses that car a lot. I primarily drove it (she has the 2016 Mazda CX-5 that we got in 2015), but she said it was her favorite looking car of any we ever had (we had the light blue color, forgot its name but its a light blue with a touch of metallic grey in it.) With us getting new cars just about every year (combined we drive about 65,000 to 75,000 miles per year), I told her to not worry, it is likely in the next couple of years we will go back to a Mazda 6 again.

    One other nice thing about the Mazda 6 (and other Mazda vehicles). The Tire pressure system (TPMS) isn't an 'in wheel' one, it is a sensor outside the wheel (I think mounted in the wheel well). So if you get a different set of wheels for summer tires...Snow/Winter tires...you don't have to buy, install, and reset a TPMS. Mazda bolt patterns and center bores are the same as Kia, Hyunda, and most Dodge/Chrysler vehicles..and even some Hondas....so its easy to look for a set of tires for any of those cars. We had our Avenger before our Mazda 6 and had an extra set of 17" dodge wheels with snow tires on them. When we got the Mazda...the same wheels bolted right to the Mazda and worked fine. We didn't used the the first winter, but did the second winter with the car (and then even used the same wheels and tires on our Mazda CX-3.)
    Last edited by mjd1001; 04-02-2017 at 08:56 PM.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

    Neanderthal (04-05-2017)

  28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2