2017 GMC Terrain

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2017 GMC Terrain

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

2017 GMC Terrain

If you follow The Neanderthal Times, you'll know the Maz6 did not work and I went fishing. Number one choice was a 2017 KIA Soul! turbo. However...given that KIA sales people are apparently not interested in selling actual cars, I looked elsewhere.

Area KIA dealers are such slugs, I can't believe it. I traded the Maz for a white '17 GMC Terrain SLE-1 FWD.

It's a 2.4 6A, white. It's not quick and in fact it feels stronger on "Eco" than not. If I were racing this vs. my '15 Soul+, I'd probably bet on the Soul. But let me break this boy in, we just have 300 miles on it so far.

It sits high, seat height is about 28", an inch higher than Soul. It surprisingly doesn't lean a lot in corners, it feels pretty firm and solid in curves and turns. The brakes feel good, no problem there, no grab etc. LOTS of space, the rear seat slides back and forth and the backs tilt. This car is like a limo. Probably the most comfortable car I've had since the 200 V6.
    It has a real fake spare.

The toys supply is limited. That to me is preferable to the Maz, or the Challenger for that matter, but the Maz was more geek-oriented in that getting from Part A to Part B to Part C was complex, slow, and illogical.

Standard AC, no automatic temp control which I don't want or need.
    No Nav, thank goodness, which had issues in the Chally and the Maz. In fact, the Maz6 Nav was downright stupid. Like Tom Tom two generations ago.
    The seats are comfy and roomy. My wife remarked at the vast expanse of SPACE in front of her. No claustrophobia here!

Stock tires are Michelin Latitude Touring, 235.55.18. So-so tires from what I read. For the same price they could've fitted Michelin Premiere LTX.
    That said, these LatTours don't squeal in corners, they have no obvious issues (haven't been in the wet with them yet) and TR reviews indicate most owners seem to like them pretty well.

A big, bulky car that I didn't expect to be looking at. If not for KIA (and Maz) sales ineptitude, I wouldn't be in something this comfortable and roomy!

A couple of weeks back, I talked to my Maz sales guy about looking at a Mitsu Outlander Sport. To trade the Maz6 in on.
    He said he'd get back to me and never did, until a Thursday email saying hey don't forget our 4:00 pm appointment today (June 8).
    I never made that appointment, and nobody at Maz ever contacted me including his sales manager who said he'd call back days earlier. Tomorrow perhaps.
    WTF with all these slugs? Selling cars is too much work for them?

At any rate, I was cruising by the local Chibby dealer and I flashed back to a test I'd read of the 2005 Equinox 3.4 with the then-new 5A. It ran pretty well for what it was, and I thought (at the time) gee, that would have been an alternative to the '04 Impala I bought. We'd just retired and moved and a hauler would've been very handy. Oh well.

So, I thought as I drove by the Chibby dealer, GM always has tons of bucks on the hood. I stopped in, they DID have tons on the '17 'nox.
    I drove one, it was a decent ride and it fit right. The sales guy was pretty sharp.
    It wasn't over-tech, which the Maz6 with the two packages is, in my opinion.

I fished and found the Terrain is the 'nox in different form. It's like an SRX for Enlightened People. Like Yours Truly!

Went and checked one out at the local Buick dealer, drove it for a 15 mile test and decided to run with it. Signed the papers the next day, it's a handsome boy and to me the biggest difference is the 'nox looks more smooth and feminine and the Terrain more square and masculine.
    I never really paid much attention to those cars, they're everywhere (ubiquitous, I like that word!) they weren't on my radar, but when I dug around a bit that was the diff. That and the Equinox models I was shopping had 17s and the Terrain has 18s. Don't confuse 17" and 18" tires with 2017 and 2018 model year cars. It's easy to mix up numbers.

The '17s have dough on the hood, the new downsized turbo'd '18s have been out two or three months and I've read a number of complaints about the shifter and other aspects including styling cues that I just don't notice.
    There's a MT test on these very GMI pages and it's not all sweetness and light.

So this car will work fine. I ate big equity and covered some of it with GM cash, that gig will be gone in 36. The 2.4 6A Terrain is a slug compared to the Maz, I've read mid-8s to mid-9s for 0-60.

Someone doesn't know where to put dash vents. They don't include a cargo cover in a $28,000 vehicle. The "Eco" button seems to give better acceleration than standard running.
    And who designs the modern instrument panels? I'm guessing kids 20-25 years old. Now, wait! Wait! I DON"T mean the mature, intelligent, thoughtful whippersnappers here at GMI Institute. I mean the geeky not-real-world "designers" and "engineers" who never drive the cars they have a hand in designing.
    The temp and fuel gauge are hidden up at the top where you can hardly see them. On the plus side is a 19 gallon fuel tank which should give generous range.

It IS very comfortable, and comfort trumps cornering-on-two-wheels at this point in our lives. Too bad the Maz didn't work out. I'll do a post-mortem at some point.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-14-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-14-2017),ChrisGinNC (06-18-2017),Ed753 (06-14-2017),impala02 (06-14-2017),InCogKneeToe (06-15-2017),Shotgun (06-15-2017),TruckMan (06-14-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4gm
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: 2017 GMC Terrain

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Number one choice was a 2017 KIA Soul! turbo. However...given that KIA sales people are apparently not interested in selling actual cars, I looked elsewhere.
    Same thing happened to me. I wanted to test drive a Soul + intending to buy it. The salesman walked away to get the keys and took forever coming back. So I left. I found a great deal on an Escape and got that instead.

Congrats on the Terrain. I've been seeing a lot more than I thought I would here in L.A.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4gm For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,923 Times in 4,833 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Enjoy the Terrain, hope you have it for longer than the Challenger and Mazda! Have you always turned over cars every month or two until you settled on one? I'm assuming you are taking a financial hit every time you trade one in that is only a month or two old....

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Enjoy the Terrain, hope you have it for longer than the Challenger and Mazda! Have you always turned over cars every month or two until you settled on one? I'm assuming you are taking a financial hit every time you trade one in that is only a month or two old....
    Actually I have a secret system, I make bookoo bucks on these caahs. For your copy of How To Make Big Bucks Trading Caahs, send just $5.95 to...
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-14-2017),Extreme4x4 (06-15-2017)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,056 Times in 2,616 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Congrats on the new Terrain. I hope you enjoy it and that it works out for you.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Congrats on the new Terrain. I hope you enjoy it and that it works out for you.
    Thaxx, carnut. Other than a door-slam right out of the 60s, it's a pretty satisfactory vehicle.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

Congrats on the Terrain! How long will you be keeping this vehicle?

We had a gen 1 and a gen 2 Equinox. They served their purpose well.

2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    Congrats on the Terrain! How long will you be keeping this vehicle?

We had a gen 1 and a gen 2 Equinox. They served their purpose well.

LOL. If it doesn't get sassy, 39 months. Except the saleslady said she'd be calling about six months out for An Unbelievable Deal!

And I have yet to keep a lease full term.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-15-2017 at 06:43 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

LOL. If it doesn't get sassy, 39 months. Except the saleslady said she'd be calling about six months out for An Unbelievable Deal!

And I have yet to keep a least full term.
    Like a PRO.
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    Like a PRO.
    Like a Pro, bro! Approved by Big Moe! And Flo! All Professional Grade Professionals! Yes we can!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,685 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

Actually I have a secret system, I make bookoo bucks on these caahs. For your copy of How To Make Big Bucks Trading Caahs, send just $5.95 to...
    I need these secrets.
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGinNC View Post
    I need these secrets.
    LOL. You betcha!

But wait, there's more! Call in the next 10 minutes, and we'll include...
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information