2012 Focus

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2012 Focus

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M

2012 Focus

I recently had a customer that no longer needed one of their sedans. They turned it in and very shortly after, it's replacement arrived. So I picked it up to use in our office. It is a Kona Blue 2012 Focus. Since I picked it up on July 5th, I've put 965 miles on it (it had 3 on it shen I got the keys). 2 seperate 3 day trips. Overall I really liked the car. Seats have good bolstering. Ride is a little stiff, but that doesn't bother me. Controls took some getting used to, but that fell into place quickly. Good size trunk for the size of the car (sedan, not 5 door). It did a lot of idling in some locations due to the heat, and the DIC is showing an average of 35.4 mpg. Accelerating is pretty good, but you can feel the A/C pulling some power (one day it hit 115*). So that had to be tolerated. Did have 4 in it at one time, and the rear seat passengers didn't complain about room (although in looking, it is not much, would advise for adults on long trips). Lights and visiblity were very good. I really liked the side mirrors.

Complaints, there is no inside release for the trunk. I felt this was odd. The 6 speed has had complaints of a "studdering" on take off. I felt this some, but might not have noticed or though about it much if I didn't know about it already. Ford say's it will go away by 1,000 miles (stating the dual clutch has to set in), well it's at 965 and still there..... So we will just have to wait and see. Came with front mats, but apparently the rear ones are optional.

This is pretty much a base model, so it wasn't loaded. But it had PW and locks, cruise, CD, remote entry, auto, fogs, etc. Overall, it was a nice car to drive around in.
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2012 Focus

I'm assuming you had an SE sedan----what were your impressions of the NVH was it noticeable or pretty quiet in the cabin? How did you like the seating surfaces--to me they felt better than the mouse fur I've grown accustomed to in this class over the yrs. I thought the steering wheel controls were a lil' busy for my taste but not something I would'nt be able to get used to.
    Last edited by CrunkedRL; 07-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Chevrolet Silverado

The Focus looks like a Korean designed car in my opinion... I have seen numerous on the road and at first glance I keep mistaking them for Hyundai's... and thats not necessarily a bad thing after the recent success of the Sonata and Elantra...
    However, If I wanted a Korean car, I'd buy a Korean car... and not a Ford posing as one!
    CHEVROLET SILVERADO

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

If I were buying in this segment a Focus hatch would be my top choice, though for the sedan I prefer the Cruze.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkedRL View Post
    I'm assuming you had an SE sedan----what were your impressions of the NVH was it noticeable or pretty quiet in the cabin? How did you like the seating surfaces--to me they felt better than the mouse fur I've grown accustomed to in this class over the yrs. I thought the steering wheel controls were a lil' busy for my taste but not something I would'nt be able to get used to.
    I think it is an SE, but not 100% sure there. I liked the seat, the side bolstering was very nice and the cloth was good also. Overall the car is fairly quite going down the road, but you will notice the differance between blacktop and concrete roads. I didn't notice any rattles anywhere.

I agree, the steering wheels controls did take some getting used to, but after a few miles I pretty much had it all figured out. I didn't care how you had to hold the trip reset button for several seconds (it seemed) to reset it. I need to look in the manual to see what that "hill brake" feature is actually for. I'm guess to use as an engine brake in the mountains....
    Last edited by solman98; 07-15-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,316 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

I believe the "hill brake" feature has to do with it being an automatic manual trans. In a manual, you have rollback when you try to start going forward on a hill, unless you slip the daylights out of the clutch. The "hill brake" will keep the car from rolling back until the clutch builds up enough pressure to move the vehicle forward.

Rollback is one of the biggest complaints of DCT's. Well, after "feel."

If anything, the Focus looks very European. It is all in the fine detailing. It holds a very strong family resemblence to the outgoing European Focus. You have to remember that Hyundai has pretty much copied the Fiesta look, on their Accent. The Fiesta has been out alot longer than any of the newer model Hyundai's.

The Cruze design truly is a Korean design, as the Koreans took the lead on it.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    I believe the "hill brake" feature has to do with it being an automatic manual trans. In a manual, you have rollback when you try to start going forward on a hill, unless you slip the daylights out of the clutch. The "hill brake" will keep the car from rolling back until the clutch builds up enough pressure to move the vehicle forward.

Rollback is one of the biggest complaints of DCT's. Well, after "feel."
    Ya know, I really though about that when another individual stated he didn't like it due to it rolled back on him on a hill. SO I though maybe that is what the button was for. Didn't work in that feature. But I never had an issue with it rolling back on me. Maybe because I drive a stick as my DD?

dunno, I'll have to open up the manual next time I'm in it.
    Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by solman98 View Post
    Complaints, there is no inside release for the trunk. I felt this was odd. The 6 speed has had complaints of a "studdering" on take off. I felt this some, but might not have noticed or though about it much if I didn't know about it already. Ford say's it will go away by 1,000 miles (stating the dual clutch has to set in), well it's at 965 and still there..... So we will just have to wait and see. Came with front mats, but apparently the rear ones are optional.
    why I gave mine back to Ford!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by civilzues View Post
    I noticed there is also nothing to manually unlock the doors. You have to either use the remote fob or pull open one of the front doors. How would a child get out of the back if the power failed or there was a accident? More silly cost cutting.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by civilzues View Post
    The problem competely went away after about 1200 miles or so.
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    I noticed there is also nothing to manually unlock the doors. You have to either use the remote fob or pull open one of the front doors. How would a child get out of the back if the power failed or there was a accident? More silly cost cutting.
    Never got in the back seat but I'll have to look at that next time I'm in it.
    Hidden Content

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information