2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Last month I went to Colorado and had a 2012 Dodge Ram SLT Quad cab as my rental vehicle. It was a 4WD with the 4.7 V8 and 6.5 ft bed. I spent 5 days in this truck and drove it about 1000 miles in both the mountains and the flat lands. Overall, it was very comfortable and quiet on the road. In the flat lands, it got 22-23 MPG in straight highway driving. Powerwise, it pulled the mountains well the the cruise control would hold the correct speed both up and down hill on moderate hills. One thing i noticed was the engine braking was pretty week. I drove US 550 between Silverton CO and Ouray Co which has several hard pulls and steep grades. I've driven this road before and usually would downshift to 2nd and only have to use the brake minimally. Not in this truck. I had to put it in 1st gear and the engine was turning 4000 RPM and still gaining speed making me use the brakes more. I'm glad i didn't have a trailer pushing on me from behind!

I drove the truck off road and used 4WD twice for about 10 miles (don't tell the rental company). This was on a rocky road with a only a couple of steep grades. The truck performed very well in 4 wheel low and 4 high. However, I didn't drive in mud or anything really tough.

On the highway, the coil springs were very smooth- smoother than in a Chevy or Ford i drove recently.

The only other negative was the lack of power off the line. If i wanted to quickly accelerate into traffic, i really had to floor it to make it move out and then it wouldn't really start pulling hard until 4000 RPM. I was really surprised Dodge would have a truck that performed that way.

Overall, it was a nice comfortable truck that drove well. The gas mileage was great but if i were to buy one i would sacrifice a couple of MPG and get a HEMI. With a HEMI, it would have been sweet.

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Z51 Corvette

Re: 2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Great review Dave!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

The 4.7L is a decent engine, at least since the major revamp it got, but the Hemi blows it away. I am a fan of the '09+ Ram overall, I would not mind owning one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Great review.

It's actually rare to see a new 4.7L Ram, as Dodge's "sweet spot" is the Hemi and it is even rated better for mpg's. It is used to give a second offering and one notch below the Hemi for those who want it, and still a solid powertrain but not the latest.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think the 4.7 is the fleet engine. Rental companies don't want the 5.7 because its too powerful but still want a V8 for resale value. Same thing for company trucks. The 4.7 really had to wind up, but when it did, it made some power.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Did it have the new 8 speed transmission?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

This was a 2012 and the 8 Speed is in the 2013 V6's this Fall and on the Hemi in January. The 4.7 will retain the current 6 speed automatic. I wish it would have had the 8 speed, but i doubt that finds its way into very many rental lot queens.

Dave

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information