2011 Dodge Durango Crew AWD vs. 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2011 Dodge Durango Crew AWD vs. 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2011 Dodge Durango Crew AWD vs. 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

The Winner
    It's early in their product lives, but already it's obvious that the new Durango and new Explorer are all-timers — vastly better than the trucklets they replace, and among the very best crossovers available at any price. So picking a winner here is like picking between Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays, Magic and Bird, Gurney and Foyt. Pick whichever one fits the peculiarities of your life best and you can feel confident you did well.

But the numbers crunch down to a slight victory for the Explorer over the Durango. Some of us prefer the Durango over the Explorer as new vehicles, but feel more confident recommending a Ford over a Dodge based solely on their respective reputations for long-term quality — and that counts in the scoring.

So the Explorer racked up 82.7 points to the Durango's 80.3. That's eyelash close.

Read Full Review - http://www.insideline.com/ford/explo...r-xlt-4wd.html

Last edited by GMusa; 01-24-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Re: 2011 Dodge Durango Crew AWD vs. 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

I would have to drive both to make a final choice (assuming the GC and Durango drive different) .. but based on looks alone, and being able to check both out at the NAIAS, I would have to pick the Durango! I liked the interior better, and it was more comfortable. Im 5'8" and I could barely fit in the 3rd row of the Explorer, I actually had room in the Durango.
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 Times in 2,564 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

I like the Durango more in both the interior and exterior. It just appeals to me more than the Edge look alike Explorer. I was disappointed in its styling the day it came out but the Durango just looks classy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

It depends on what you would use it for. The Durango is set up to tow more like a truck and the Explorer seems to be trying to hit the "main" market to a T, by giving you just enough of everything as far as the drive goes and not taking away from it's offroad capabilities which less than 1% of it's driver will ever use. It's actually a more complex car than the Durango and has a much better telematics info-navitainment system as well. I would probably go with the Durango though as well, now that I have a kid those rear head rests would come in handy.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by flatblackstrat View Post
    It depends on what you would use it for. The Durango is set up to tow more like a truck and the Explorer seems to be trying to hit the "main" market to a T, by giving you just enough of everything as far as the drive goes and not taking away from it's offroad capabilities which less than 1% of it's driver will ever use. It's actually a more complex car than the Durango and has a much better telematics info-navitainment system as well. I would probably go with the Durango though as well, now that I have a kid those rear head rests would come in handy.
    As much as I hate to say it, the insanely high tech Ford is just scary to me for some reason.

Either one of these are going to be high sellers until $4 gas comes along. They say these are minivans but they dont get close to the minivan mileage and dont have the sliding doors.

Id love to see an actual capable hybrid from both of these that increases mileage 40%.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Wolfn99's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX3

They really should include the GMC Acadia in that test:

I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, the insanely high tech Ford is just scary to me for some reason.

Either one of these are going to be high sellers until $4 gas comes along. They say these are minivans but they dont get close to the minivan mileage and dont have the sliding doors.

Id love to see an actual capable hybrid from both of these that increases mileage 40%.
    I'm a tech freak and love any bit of capacitive touch screen button filled LCD LED back lit local dimming sexiness. If I could have it my way cars would be a hub for your cell phone and everything from your wallet to your keys would be inside. But those are just my tech fantasies, the next ten years will probably look like just what I have described though. I guess many still aren't that into having a home entertainment system in their cars yet.

Personally after borrowing my parents mini van while I'm home and having a Merc V class here that I use quite often I would have to say the sliding doors are a PITA IMO sine most are mechanically driven

Minivans are only getting 24-25 MPG HWY these days. The Explorer falls on par with a 25 MPG highway number and 18 city BTW.
    Last edited by flatblackstrat; 01-24-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 999 Posts

Both are big winners, in my eyes. I prefer the Dodge, but I can see why someone would pick the Ford.
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by flatblackstrat View Post
    Personally after borrowing my parents mini van while I'm home and having a Merc V class here that I use quite often I would have to say the sliding doors are a PITA IMO sine most are mechanically driven

Minivans are only getting 24-25 MPG HWY these days. The Explorer falls on par with a 25 MPG highway number and 18 city BTW.
    Sliding doors are still way easier than doors in a crowded parking lot. You never have to fear about the door getting flung out and smashing another car.

The Odyssey gets 19/29 with the A6. Pretty sure that the Explorer and Durango would be hard pressed to get 29 on the HWY without some miracle.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I'd probably favor the Dodge, but I haven't driven either to actually form a real opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    Both are big winners, in my eyes. I prefer the Dodge, but I can see why someone would pick the Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I'd probably favor the Dodge, but I haven't driven either to actually form a real opinion.
    When the first photos of each came to light, I preferred the Explorer. But the Durango had been growing on me over the last few months. I was fortunate enough to drive both vehicles this past weekend at an event outside of Philadelphia hosted by local dealers... (It's part of the build up for the Philadelphia Auto Show which begins next weekend)

I truly enjoyed both vehicles. If I had to choose one as my own personal vehicle, I would choose the Dodge. Both vehicles were pretty loaded with all the things modern SUV/CUV customers want. I preferred the interior layout of the Dodge over the Ford, as well as the exterior styling, which with its optional wheel package, had a more "rebellious" stance than the Ford. The Explorer is a handsome vehicle, but a little more reserved... But admittedly, I'm not truly the target audience for these vehicles as I'm a single male with no children.

I couldn't push either vehicle too hard, driving wise. It was mostly in town driving where both vehicles had excellent acceleration (for an SUV) merging into traffic.

I would recommend both vehicles to potential shoppers in this segment as they are both A+ efforts by their respective companies and will surely challenge GM's Lambdas, Honda's Pilot, and everyone else in the mid/large SUV/CUV segments for sales.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information