2010 Charger 3.5 - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Charger 3.5

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: 2010 Charger 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by The Pentastar View Post

As does the Chrysler 4 speed. Chrysler's ultradrive was the first electronically controlled A/T which used "fuzzy logic" to adapt to the driving style of the owner of the vehicle.
    I never said it didn't.
    Now talking about the "lag" and "clunk" with the 4 speed....I drive one everyday. The lag/clunk is not there for me. Naturally, with the wide gear ratios acceleration feels relaxed, but the transmission is well behaved, and never lags on kick down shifts. Shifts in everyday driving are smooth and imperceptible...no clunk. Both the 4 speed and 5 speed employ torque management. Both the 4 speed and 5 speed use Chrysler's electronic controls.
    Good for you; unfortunately for the pile that was the 4-speed, I never experienced that in any of the numerous Chrysler products I have been behind. They shifter harder than I'd expect (some Fords a few years ago still did this as well) and they take a firmer push to get a downshift.

Now my lovely Honda automatic on the other hand quickly slips down a gear or two when I give a light push. Smoothly, quietly, just nice. Funny how my experience also mirrors what most reviewers say regarding the Honda automatic.

Naturally, I would expect the 300c with the HEMI and 5 speed to downright embarrass the v6 version. I would expect, when driven back to back, that the 300c would make the 300 feel slow, but that is more an issue of available engine power/torque and transmission gearing rather than transmission behavior.
    Except I suggested none of them.

The Chrysler 3.5 engine is easily a more refined engine than the Honda v6. The 3.5 has been praised for its smoothness and power since introduced. It is, in fact, a better engineered and built engine than the Honda v6. This is a fact.
    Whatever makes you sleep at night, bud. The 3.5L was certainly not a bad engine, but it never had Honda's refinement. That's just the way it is.

And in fact, Honda's V-6 has much much more lauded in terms of refinement and even performance. Almost any review regarding any of the various J-Series mentions the pleasing smoothness. "As smooth and quiet as an electric motor" said MotorTrend. Or C&D has said great things about it as well:

"The sonorous and smooth 3.5-liter V-6 ..."

"the power of that superb V-6"

"smooth power"

"If anyone got the passion message loud and clear, it was the powertrain team."

Oh yeah, the Honda engine just LAGS in refinement and build quality, plus engineering. That's why you see sooo much praise heaped on the Honda J-Series. Oh wait ...

P.S. I'd like to see some proof of all this superiority.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

A smooth and quiet shift though tends to mean greater wear! Though both Chrysler and Honda have horrible reputation in automatic tranny longevity.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    A smooth and quiet shift though tends to mean greater wear! Though both Chrysler and Honda have horrible reputation in automatic tranny longevity.
    Hmmm. My Chrysler transmission is from 1958. Works nicely. Where I come from, that would equate to longevity. You may count time differently.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Well everyone knows that nobody beats GM when it comes to automatics.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    How's that? Mercedes, GM, and Toyota all have long-living automatics that shift very well.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC The Pentastar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Whatever makes you sleep at night, bud. The 3.5L was certainly not a bad engine, but it never had Honda's refinement. That's just the way it is.

And in fact, Honda's V-6 has much much more lauded in terms of refinement and even performance. Almost any review regarding any of the various J-Series mentions the pleasing smoothness. "As smooth and quiet as an electric motor" said MotorTrend. Or C&D has said great things about it as well:

"The sonorous and smooth 3.5-liter V-6 ..."

"the power of that superb V-6"

"smooth power"

"If anyone got the passion message loud and clear, it was the powertrain team."

Oh yeah, the Honda engine just LAGS in refinement and build quality, plus engineering. That's why you see sooo much praise heaped on the Honda J-Series. Oh wait ...

P.S. I'd like to see some proof of all this superiority.
    Plenty of media outlets enjoyed Chrysler's 3.5 engine.

"The 300 Limited drew raves for its smooth engine and rear-drive handling." C&D

"Pleasing power and noises from the 3.5 v6" C&D

"The 300's 3.5 liter sohc v-6 is a smooth and lively performer that cranks out 250 bhp, spinning smoothly all the way to 6500 rpm." Road and Track

"We also like the 300M's 253-horsepower, 3.5-liter, 24-valve V-6 engine. "Great power" and "plenty of power in reserve for passing" were typical comments in the 300M's logbook." C&D

"The Dodge Magnum's less-obtrusive V-6 was so responsive it made one staffer say he'd have a hard time recommending the available V-8 over this wagon's well-matched powertrain." - Motortrend

Both of us could keep digging for quotes...

From an engineering perspective, you'll find that Chrysler engineers left no stone unturned with this engine. It starts with a closed deck, sand cast aluminum block, with cast in place cast iron liners (an industry first process), as well as a forged steel crankshaft and forged steel connecting rods. It is a Y block engine, allowing for cross bolted main bearing caps (6 bolts per cap), all connected by a girdle beam which doubles as a windage tray. This was also the first paperless engine in the industry - designed in record time all through computer based modeling - not that you'd care.

99.9% of people won't care about little things like this, but IMO this type of engineering differentiates a good engine from a great engine...

Not that you'd care, but here's where all the info is from:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/069802.html

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/35.html
    Last edited by The Pentastar; 09-13-2010 at 01:00 AM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

That's plum impressive how Chrysler designed & builds that mill.

So in this thread, we have covered three of the things Detroit does best: Big cars, automatic trannys, and big motors.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: I love my American auto industry/culture!
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks

Plenty of media outlets enjoyed Chrysler's 3.5 engine.

"The 300 Limited drew raves for its smooth engine and rear-drive handling." C&D

"Pleasing power and noises from the 3.5 v6" C&D

"The 300's 3.5 liter sohc v-6 is a smooth and lively performer that cranks out 250 bhp, spinning smoothly all the way to 6500 rpm." Road and Track

"We also like the 300M's 253-horsepower, 3.5-liter, 24-valve V-6 engine. "Great power" and "plenty of power in reserve for passing" were typical comments in the 300M's logbook." C&D

"The Dodge Magnum's less-obtrusive V-6 was so responsive it made one staffer say he'd have a hard time recommending the available V-8 over this wagon's well-matched powertrain." - Motortrend

Both of us could keep digging for quotes...
    We probably could, but of course there aren't going to be as many of the following in Chrysler's favor are there? All courtesy of C&D:

"The Avenger still trails the Honda Accord in refinement ..." And this was the R/T, which has the 3.5L.

"But then you remember that there are better-looking mid-size sedans (Aura and Ford Fusion) with far smoother powertrains (Accord) ..." ANOTHER test of a 3.5L Avenger.

"The V-6 just doesn't cut it."

While there is clearly no "bad" way to go about the Chrysler 3.5L, there's also no doubt that Honda's J-Series is smoother. Why else in refinement discussions do all the reviewers SPECIFICALLY mention the J-Series? Are there probably some quotes somewhere on the net saying the J-Series isn't as smooth as Chrysler's? Probably. I just wouldn't put my money on it.

Just because it's "smooth" does not mean it's "as smooth as ______". That's the distinction I think you fail the make.

From an engineering perspective, you'll find that Chrysler engineers left no stone unturned with this engine. It starts with a closed deck, sand cast aluminum block, with cast in place cast iron liners (an industry first process), as well as a forged steel crankshaft and forged steel connecting rods. It is a Y block engine, allowing for cross bolted main bearing caps (6 bolts per cap), all connected by a girdle beam which doubles as a windage tray. This was also the first paperless engine in the industry - designed in record time all through computer based modeling - not that you'd care.

99.9% of people won't care about little things like this, but IMO this type of engineering differentiates a good engine from a great engine...

Not that you'd care, but here's where all the info is from:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/069802.html

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/35.html
    And yet that doesn't turn into a superior engine does it? Neither as smooth nor as quiet. I've been in the 3.5L or 4.0L version in every Chrysler product of recent history it was sold in save the Avenger/Sebring, and none of them are as smooth or quiet. Smooth? Yes. As smooth as? No, definitely no.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Exploder's Avatar
    Thanks

Does it even matter? The 3.5 and 4-speed are both going away soon.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,638 Times in 2,619 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    So in this thread, we have covered three of the things Detroit does best: Big cars, automatic trannys, and big motors.
    So, that is what? Like, 3 out of 400 things in a car?

Ive always liked a Charger until I sat in one. With that big of a vehicle, how can I not fit in it? Dash design. I HATED being a passenger in the front seat. I would volunteer to sit in the back rather than deal with my knees stuffed into the dash.

Also, in case you didnt notice, all of the good transmissions used in the Charger were MB derived. When it went to the 4 speed trans the complaints started to roll in.

Now, Im not saying that the Charger is a bad car, far from it, but it does need some improvement and hopefully this new update coming up will make it an AMAZING car.

Thanks

Some of the improvements I'd like to see on the new Charger:

-more side bolstering

-better interior and tech (coming)

-wider tires

A few others, but that's my immediate thought on my experience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    So, that is what? Like, 3 out of 400 things in a car?

Ive always liked a Charger until I sat in one. With that big of a vehicle, how can I not fit in it? Dash design. I HATED being a passenger in the front seat.
    You named my pet peeve, being a front seat passenger, even in a Rolls Royce! For me its about control, being at the wheel, that is the only way I want to be in a car! It's ok to be a passenger in a private plane, trolley car, new taxi/limousine, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Also, in case you didnt notice, all of the good transmissions used in the Charger were MB derived. When it went to the 4 speed trans the complaints started to roll in.

Now, Im not saying that the Charger is a bad car, far from it, but it does need some improvement and hopefully this new update coming up will make it an AMAZING car.
    Every car needs improvement, only Cadillac gets away with removing content, on second thought, they don't... they just become obsolete.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

"Smoothness" mostly comes down to engine mounts and sound deadening material. They're both 60* V6s, there's not much difference. The Honda engine is newer, so it has more stuff like VVT and cylinder deactivation. The Chrysler 3.5l was sure better than whatever Honda was rolling in 1993 when it came out.

They're both outdated timing belt eating museum pieces. Chrysler at least has a replacement out already, where is Honda's modern V6?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post

"Smoothness" mostly comes down to engine mounts and sound deadening material. They're both 60* V6s, there's not much difference. The Honda engine is newer, so it has more stuff like VVT and cylinder deactivation.
    Correct, although the VCM is on only a few Hondas, specifically a couple variations of the J35.
    The Chrysler 3.5l was sure better than whatever Honda was rolling in 1993 when it came out.
    Yup. And like Chrysler, Honda let this engine run past its prime.
    They're both outdated timing belt eating museum pieces.
    Personally I like the timing belt. Not so great at 105,000 miles when it's 800 bucks to replace (plus labor), but boy it helps its quietness.

Most everyone is moving away from timing chains, though. Toyota did it with the 2J-FE and still kept their engine supremely quiet. Although it should be mentioned that even Toyota admits it isn't as smooth as their timing belt-equipped 3-3.3L series, which is the very series that Chrysler is aiming at with the Phoenix in terms of quietness.

Chrysler at least has a replacement out already, where is Honda's modern V6?
    That's what I and most Honda enthusiasts would like to know. But Honda's been lagging in a number of areas; the J-Series is just one.

And that's a good reason why Honda won't likely be on my shopping list next time 'round. Chrysler, Ford, and GM will. Hyundai, too.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

What is wrong with the Honda V6? It seems fine. You can complain about GM 3400 V6 for being crap but Honda?!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information