2010 Charger 3.5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Charger 3.5

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,622 Times in 4,604 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

2010 Charger 3.5

I had my choice of some full size rentals yesterday. Malibus, Impalas, Chargers, a lone HHR. Hmm, how'd that get in there?
    I picked a Charger, I've never driven the Chrysler 300 platform and I should have before this.
    Very good ergonomics, the turn signal and cruise levers are at about 5 and 7 o'clock, where they should be. I can actually SEE them and READ the writing on them.

The headlight control is the "old fashioned" type, which IMO is superior to one stalk with 12 different functions, which can be confused. Confused especially at night, since you can't see said stalk.

HVAC controls are simple and direct.

The instruments are light and quite visible. Good.

This car is grey, interior grey and some black. It's much lighter than the coal-mine darkness of our GP, unfortunately the front seats cannot match the GXP buckets. Flat & hard (but not hard-comfortable like an Accord), little bolstering, buttache after 20 minutes.

Power from the 3.5 is good. I was focused mainly on not getting lost so I didn't power up. I'll check to see if this is a 4 or 5-speed auto.

Very nice highway feel. Good thrump absorbtion, much less busy than the Taurus I rented six months ago. The 17" tires feel well-planted.

More dynamics shall be reported after further exploration.

So far? With bum seats this is not a car I would own. I wonder if the Chrysler seats are the same?

But as a driver, so far so good, this is a very nice car.

Oh, the KEY! First time I've seen this, it's a plastic nub that fits in a slot in the dash. Kewl.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2010 Charger 3.5

The version rented by me had more up-level seats. Additionally, I found the ergonomics straight forward, and the performance of the Dodge Charger 2.7 on the highways, and city streets more in line with the outgoing Mercedes Benz E Series. Considering the price and the performance quotient, with RWD, gets my rating as a Best Buy, therefore, on my Personal driver short list! FYI, in my Beach hamlet this car is very popular, even though it will be replaced shortly by the new 2011 model, in fact two neighbors now drive Chargers a black and a gray one.

My only experience with a Pontiac Grand Prix was my 1973 model, it was fantastic with genuine African Crossfire Mahogany, and a powerful 400 CID engine.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Sounds pretty similar to my experiences with our Charger, although having taken it on multiple family trips I found both front and back seats to be long-haul comfy. I really wish it had more side support though. The leather quality is pretty disappointing, but hey, a stab at that Hemi alleviates any pansey-a** concerns about materials!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

My grandparents rented a 300 touring about a couple years ago. We drove it on a few hour long trips and found the seats to be comfortable.

The key! I love those keys they started using them on a lot more of their cars, only the jeep grand cherokee and the commander get them so Im out of luck. Very Mercedes like.
    Current:
    2016 Lincoln MKX 2.7 Reserve AWD

Former:
    2002 Ford Explorer Xlt V8 4x4
    2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD
    2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4
    2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
    2011 Chevy Cruze LT
    2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    2016 Lincoln MKZ AWD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alex725 View Post
    My grandparents rented a 300 touring about a couple years ago. We drove it on a few hour long trips and found the seats to be comfortable.

The key! I love those keys they started using them on a lot more of their cars, only the jeep grand cherokee and the commander get them so Im out of luck. Very Mercedes like.
    Indeed, it actually IS the Mercedes key (for those that don't opt for the brand's Keyless Go)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,622 Times in 4,604 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Yeah, very cool key.

This is an SXT, 3.5HO & feels like a 4-speed. I think they cheaped down for 2010 and only the hemi gets the 6-speed but not sure.
    Cloth upholstery, which I generally prefer to leather.
    Didn't get sorebuttski today, maybe I needed to get used to it a little.

Some hesitation and rough shifting with this trannie. About 15K on it.

Power is OK but nothing speshul, it comes on cam at about 3500 and gets some extra boost there, but the torque is average at best for a V6 of this size. The 325 c.i. in the GP has torque-spoiled me.

Nice looker, the Chargers really stood out on the lot vs the Imps and Malibus, which look bland and dorky in comparison.
    And their names are bland and dorky in comparison too.
    Malibu. Think the Beach Boys.
    Impala. Think long-in-tooth Chivvlay.
    Charger. San Diego bad boys. Electricity. Faithful steed.
    Chrysler just does some things better, styling and naming are two of them.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

This is an SXT, 3.5HO & feels like a 4-speed. I think they cheaped down for 2010 and only the hemi gets the 6-speed but not sure.
    I believe it was the 08 Charger 3.5Ls that switched back to the pos 4AT. The 06-07 3.5L had the MB 5-speed, which is a really nice tranny. The Hemis have always had the MB 5-speed.

Some hesitation and rough shifting with this trannie. About 15K on it.
    Not surprising. Not only is it a pos, it's as reliable as Fox News.

Power is OK but nothing speshul, it comes on cam at about 3500 and gets some extra boost there, but the torque is average at best for a V6 of this size. The 325 c.i. in the GP has torque-spoiled me.
    Nice sounds, but yes it's pretty meh. Honestly it'd probably feel a lot better with a good number of gears. C&D tested the 05 300 Touring which had the 5-speed and did 0-60 in 7.3. With the 4-speed it's closing in on eight.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC The Pentastar's Avatar
    Thanks

It was actually the 4 speed A/T equipped Chrysler 300 which reached 60 mph in 7.3 seconds. There is also no evidence to suggest it is an unreliable "POS". Sure, it only has 4 gears, but it is smooth and responsive. Having driven both a Chrysler 300 with the 4 speed and 3.5, and a CTS with the 6 speed and 3.6 (not a huge power difference between 2 engines), I can certainly say that having the extra 2 gears makes a noticeable difference in part throttle driving. I am sure the GM transmission is also much more efficient at getting power to the wheels. (At least it feels this way). The 300 is not in any way shape or form what I would call a fast vehicle with the 3.5 engine, but is adequate for the driving most average people do. I would also agree that the 3.5 makes its best power above 3500 RPM. I also sympathize for individuals who have had to drive an LX with the 2.7 v6....I can only imagine how slow those cars are. Terrible move by Chrysler to use the 2.7 in these large cars (I would also bet the 2.7 is a more expensive engine to build).

I would also add, that somebody driving an Accord should be the last person to comment on transmission reliability. We all know Honda's transmission problems rival, and even exceed the problems that Chrysler had in the 80's and 90's. However, Chrysler fixed the teething troubles with the 4 speed, and the transmission has proven to be quite reliable in the post 2000 era, which is something that cannot be said for Honda's 5 speed automatic. I would also note that the Chrysler 3.5 engine is a better built, better sounding, and overall nicer engine than the raspy, unrefined, low torque Honda J series v6.
    Last edited by The Pentastar; 09-12-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks

The Charger that I rented had the sludge monster 2.7 V6, it was very smooth and torquey. It also had the MB 5 speed, it starts in 2nd gear; which is why many non-Mercedes drivers get bothered by its response, initially.

I am awaiting the new PentaStar V6, which will become available in a few months. BTW, by late 2012 the new ZF 8 speed auto should be available, and it's shift dynamics start in 1st gear!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Pentastar View Post

It was actually the 4 speed A/T equipped Chrysler 300 which reached 60 mph in 7.3 seconds.
    Correct.

Sure, it only has 4 gears, but it is smooth and responsive.
    No it isn't. It feels laggy and very clunky, especially compared to the MB 5-speed in our Hemi.

I would also add, that somebody driving an Accord should be the last person to comment on transmission reliability. We all know Honda's transmission problems rival, and even exceed the problems that Chrysler had in the 80's and 90's. However, Chrysler fixed the teething troubles with the 4 speed, and the transmission has proven to be quite reliable in the post 2000 era, which is something that cannot be said for Honda's 5 speed automatic. I would also note that the Chrysler 3.5 engine is a better built, better sounding, and overall nicer engine than the raspy, unrefined, low torque Honda J series v6.
    Oh shut up with what people own. The turnover year for the 7G was the only actual problematic year. With 115,000 miles it shifts as silky as the day it was new, but nice try.

And the 3.5L lacks the refinement of the J-Series. That's pretty hilarious to even bring up. The engine is so smooth and quiet in comparison.

Goes to show what you know ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    The Charger that I rented had the sludge monster 2.7 V6, it was very smooth and torquey. It also had the MB 5 speed, it starts in 2nd gear; which is why many non-Mercedes drivers get bothered by its response, initially.

I am awaiting the new PentaStar V6, which will become available in a few months. BTW, by late 2012 the new ZF 8 speed auto should be available, and it's shift dynamics start in 1st gear!

The MB 5-speed "learns" how the driver drives, so if you are driving in a sporty manner it changes its shift patterns, which includes TMK starting in first. Either that or the torque of the Hemi just defeats any laggy feeling.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

This as the base engine, and a V8 option. American cars they way they ought to be.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    My only experience with a Pontiac Grand Prix was my 1973 model, it was fantastic with genuine African Crossfire Mahogany, and a powerful 400 CID engine.

Classic car alert!
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    This as the base engine, and a V8 option. American cars they way they ought to be.

Silly OldSchool, it isn't FWD!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC The Pentastar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    The MB 5-speed "learns" how the driver drives, so if you are driving in a sporty manner it changes its shift patterns, which includes TMK starting in first. Either that or the torque of the Hemi just defeats any laggy feeling.
    As does the Chrysler 4 speed. Chrysler's ultradrive was the first electronically controlled A/T which used "fuzzy logic" to adapt to the driving style of the owner of the vehicle.

Now talking about the "lag" and "clunk" with the 4 speed....I drive one everyday. The lag/clunk is not there for me. Naturally, with the wide gear ratios acceleration feels relaxed, but the transmission is well behaved, and never lags on kick down shifts. Shifts in everyday driving are smooth and imperceptible...no clunk. Both the 4 speed and 5 speed employ torque management. Both the 4 speed and 5 speed use Chrysler's electronic controls.

Naturally, I would expect the 300c with the HEMI and 5 speed to downright embarrass the v6 version. I would expect, when driven back to back, that the 300c would make the 300 feel slow, but that is more an issue of available engine power/torque and transmission gearing rather than transmission behavior.

The Chrysler 3.5 engine is easily a more refined engine than the Honda v6. The 3.5 has been praised for its smoothness and power since introduced. It is, in fact, a better engineered and built engine than the Honda v6. This is a fact.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Silly OldSchool, it isn't FWD!

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information