2010 Camaro Rental Experience

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2010 Camaro Rental Experience

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

2010 Camaro Rental Experience

I just got back from a family trip to Florida where we took a cruise out of Tampa and then rented a car to drive to Disney for a couple of days. One of the best parts for me was the fact that Hertz was out of the fullsize Impala I rented through Hotwire and gave me a 2010 (I think) Camaro as a substitute. Luckily the Camaro swallowed our luggage but we had to put a carry on bag and a couple of backpacks in the backseat with my 12 year old. He survived ok.

The car was a bright yellow V6 with 42000 miles on it and it was fun to drive. I restrained myself and only did a couple of burnouts! While the car was quick, it had to rev to build power and it wasn't that fast of the line. In fact, an obviously rental Charger with the 3.5 V6 initially beat me off the line at a light. In the city, the car got about 16-17 MPG (driving in a spirited manner and not hot rodding) and on the highway the car got over 30 MPG driving 72 MPH on cruise control and was very comfortable for highway cruising. The engine was smooth and the transmission shifted crisply. However, manuevering in parking lots was difficult due to the lack of visibility to the rear on both sides. Backing out of parking spaces was a challenge due to being hard to see. In fact, the difficulty with visibility would prevent me from wanting one as a daily driver.

A few more observations: This car had 42000 miles on it which is high for a rental. I'm sure they are hard miles and had a number scratches and dings. The doors cluncked a bit when closing and it kind of reminded me of the sound of an older 90's Camaro door shutting. Other than that, the car was still tight and rattle free on the road.

Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Re: 2010 Camaro Rental Experience

Ouch... getting beat by 3.5L Chargers?
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

A friend just bought a lightly used 2011 red V6 automatic and it too seemed slow unless you mashed the pedal through the floorboards. In any other type of driving my 2008 3900 Impala actually feels quicker except in full throttle highway passing where the Camaro shines. Of course this car only had 2K miles on the clock so I suspect more break in miles would make it feel livelier.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Gothzilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderpaw View Post
    The doors cluncked a bit when closing and it kind of reminded me of the sound of an older 90's Camaro door shutting.
    HEY! I like the sound my doors make when they close. Tiny indignities aside, I don't like the 2010 Camaros and I'm surprised you didn't mention not being able to see out of it. Rental cars tend to suck, I should know, my 96 Camaro started life off as a rental, it had all the options except the V8, lol, typical rental, even has fake Z28 badges.
    The More You Know (The More You Forget).
    Hidden Content
    "The definition of 'redneck' is 'a glorious absence of sophistication.'" - Jeff Foxworthy

Thanks

42,000 miles? Wow, remember rental car miles are like dog years, so multiply that by 7.

Supporting Vendor GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderpaw View Post
    I just got back from a family trip to Florida where we took a cruise out of Tampa and then rented a car to drive to Disney for a couple of days. One of the best parts for me was the fact that Hertz was out of the fullsize Impala I rented through Hotwire and gave me a 2010 (I think) Camaro as a substitute. Luckily the Camaro swallowed our luggage but we had to put a carry on bag and a couple of backpacks in the backseat with my 12 year old. He survived ok.

The car was a bright yellow V6 with 42000 miles on it and it was fun to drive. I restrained myself and only did a couple of burnouts! While the car was quick, it had to rev to build power and it wasn't that fast of the line. In fact, an obviously rental Charger with the 3.5 V6 initially beat me off the line at a light. In the city, the car got about 16-17 MPG (driving in a spirited manner and not hot rodding) and on the highway the car got over 30 MPG driving 72 MPH on cruise control and was very comfortable for highway cruising. The engine was smooth and the transmission shifted crisply. However, manuevering in parking lots was difficult due to the lack of visibility to the rear on both sides. Backing out of parking spaces was a challenge due to being hard to see. In fact, the difficulty with visibility would prevent me from wanting one as a daily driver.

A few more observations: This car had 42000 miles on it which is high for a rental. I'm sure they are hard miles and had a number scratches and dings. The doors cluncked a bit when closing and it kind of reminded me of the sound of an older 90's Camaro door shutting. Other than that, the car was still tight and rattle free on the road.

Dave
    Thanks for sharing, Dave! I appreciate the feedback, and I hope the experience was a great one overall despite the parking visibility issues.

Best,

Katie
    GM Customer Service
    Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit Hidden Content !

Follow us @Hidden Content on Twitter.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Rental cars live a tough life.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information