GM Inside News Forum banner

Would you shorten the length as planned for Chevy Equinox for 2017 ???

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  jry 
#1 · (Edited)
This vehicle when combined with the GM Terrain are the front row sellers in the mid size segment . The added feature of sliding the second row seats back for extra roominess must be part of what makes this combo a huge seller . By shortening this model , what will it do to the best sales booster you have in all the world....recommendations by satisfied buyers?? Also , happy owners who wish to sell their older Equinox model and buy another new one ,,,,what will their reaction be to not being able to do so ?? I'll repeat my old overused mantra " as a retail seller , YOU SELL WHAT SELLS " . Frankly , my opinion is that it is foolish to play with success . Again as a seller , look to replace a best seller only when sales start to slide , not when sales keep building !! What are your thoughts here ?? :confused:

#2 ·
Nope. Clearly buyers like it the way it is, and GM (like any company in this industry) should not feel pressured to segment each of their products to be exactly like most competitors - particularly when, again, buyers like it this way. That said, they do need something between the Equinox and Traverse, an Edge/Murano sort of crossover.....or a Traiblazer. :hyper:

#3 ·
The Equinox as it is today is a bit of a "tween-er"; in a vacuum, I would say no, but when the long-term plan is to keep the Traverse big, and add another CUV between the Equinox and Traverse, it makes sense.

Think Ford; Escape (New Equinox), Edge (New Chevy CUV), Explorer (Traverse), Expedition (Tahoe), Expedition L (Suburban).

Having said that, It could blow-up, like what GM tried over at CAD-DE-LACK, with the ATS/CTS, where 2 cars don't sell close to the one previous car.

#4 ·
I hear you on this, but you also have to consider "lost" revenue by only using a single model to cover two segments. You have to either shrink or raise the price on Equinox to make room for another car which would help maximize revenue.

I would shrink it, but would consider changing the name.

I would keep the sliding second row and if I thought it would make a difference, I'd do what I could to maximize its range to try to keep at least a comparable max rear seat legroom.

Nope. Clearly buyers like it the way it is, and GM (like any company in this industry) should not feel pressured to segment each of their products to be exactly like most competitors - particularly when, again, buyers like it this way. That said, they do need something between the Equinox and Traverse, an Edge/Murano sort of crossover.....or a Traiblazer. :hyper:
I would, but would seriously consider changing the name.

#5 · (Edited)
I would think the equinox will shrink a little to make room for the new midsize CUV

Wheelbase (108 in)
Length (183.1 in)
Width (72. in)
Height (65 in)

Current Equinox :
Wheelbase 112.5 in (2,857 mm)
Length 187.8 in (4,770 mm)
Width 72.5 in (1,842 mm)
Height 66.3 in (1,684 mm)

CRV :

Wheelbase 103.1 in (2,619 mm)
Length 178.3 in (4,529 mm)
Width 71.6 in (1,819 mm)
Height 65.1 in (1,654 mm)

RAV 4

Wheelbase 2,660 mm (104.7 in)
Length 4,570 mm (179.9 in)
Width 1,845 mm (72.6 in)
Height 1,660–1,705 mm (65.4–67.1 in)

#7 ·
Change away, what could possibly go wrong? I mean look at the current Malibu on the dealer's lots compared to the previous generation...Oh, wait.

Somewhere, the former Ford guy who greenlighted the Mondeo "World Car" for 1995 launch is laughing maniacally.

Does Lear Siegler still have those "scalloped back" seat molds?

#10 ·
Didn't know the equinox movable rear seat was a big attraction.

Leave the equinox as it is if it's popular.

The wreck of Cadillac with the ATS and moving the cts was a big turnoff for me as a gen 2 cts owner.

I also didn't like the little ATS either...

#11 ·
there are a LOT of reasons to shorten the Equinox beyond "pidgin holing" OR segment alignment
like using the NEW Cruze chassis, combining 3 cars into ONE global product and picking a global "right size" sales volume and CAFE "impact"
and SHORTER does NOT automatically mean the thing is smaller ON THE INSIDE or the sliding rear seat has to go
I know nothing beyond what I read but there are possible MAGOR cost savings to GM by "adjusting" its size

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.