Why is Verano on same platform as the Cruze ?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Verano on same platform as the Cruze ?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Fusion

A fully dressed Cruze is in about the same price point as the Verano . So why have two divisions competing for the same customer ? Verano appears to lack about three inches of interior room lengthwise and a couple of inches in width . This popular upper scale division is gaining a lot of public appreciation for its designs and deserves to utilize its platforms to expand its marketability . This same philosophy goes for the Regal . Perhaps a change in the rear suspension components could add a couple of inches to interior room and a wheelbase 1 to 2 inches longer would suffice ?? I'm sure Buick charts its customers response to their products and that this message is already becoming clear that in refining their models , opening up the interiors is a common thread ....no ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 910 Posts

Re: Why is Verano on same platform as the Cruze ?

Doubt there is much dross shopping between the two. Cruze starts at a lower price point and is equipped differently. I don't have any issue with it, as of now.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

4. The Following User Says Thank You to posaune For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (01-14-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,905 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

More luxurious interior. Better engines.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SKH
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,861 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by usayjim2 View Post
    A fully dressed Cruze is in about the same price point as the Verano . So why have two divisions competing for the same customer ? Verano appears to lack about three inches of interior room lengthwise and a couple of inches in width . This popular upper scale division is gaining a lot of public appreciation for its designs and deserves to utilize its platforms to expand its marketability . This same philosophy goes for the Regal . Perhaps a change in the rear suspension components could add a couple of inches to interior room and a wheelbase 1 to 2 inches longer would suffice ?? I'm sure Buick charts its customers response to their products and that this message is already becoming clear that in refining their models , opening up the interiors is a common thread ....no ??

It's called: Economies of scale.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

LetsRace (01-14-2015),roy219 (01-14-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

I'm not sure I should even start answering this.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LetsRace For This Useful Post:

megeebee (01-14-2015),patrickbec (01-14-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    +1
    Buick Verano in North America is a variant of Opel Astra J Sedan (EMEA markets) and Buick Excelle GT (China market), making it amenable to keeping the long-run marginal cost of additional production at or below the long-run average cost of previously produced units.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

Thanks

You are wondering about platformsharing between two models. Go wonder how VW AG does the multitude of that

Thanks
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,925 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

The point "should" be that Chevrolet and Buick aren't chasing the same customers - they're both taking the Opel Delta platform and building different models to appeal to the different customers - they have to do that successfully with minimal competition otherwise there's no point having the two brands.

In Europe VW Group has several platforms used by Seat, Skoda, VW and Audi with a budget brand soon to follow - with other platforms used by VW, Audi, Bentley and Porsche.

Within GM in the USA, there should be maximised platform sharing across ALL the brands - and not just a rebadge

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 561 Posts

It's not like it's brand engineering. The two have completely different sheetmetal, interior, engines and buyers. They use it for both because it's a great platform and works well. Not every car is going to be completely different in every way from every other car. That would be a recipe for disaster.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

It's for the same reasons why Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalade are all on one platform.

Like stated above, it's mostly for economies of scale. You can kill two birds with one stone going that way. And I'd wager that the typical Cruze buyer is very different than the typical Verano buyer, so I don't think that the two are cross-shopped very often, either.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

How long is a piece of string?
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

CadiEldo67 (01-14-2015),jzchev28 (01-14-2015),NeverEnough (01-14-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zackythekid View Post
    As a Verano owner, who test drove both cars back to back; there is a difference in driving dynamics. I own a Verano turbo and there were a couple of things that sold me to it.
    1) Comfort. The level of comfort found in Verano is not found in Cruze. Not saying Cruze is an uncomfortable car, but it’s not as comfortable as a Verano.
    2) Interior layout. I understand that this can be a personal thing, but the materials are considerably nicer, both visually and haptically.
    3) The looks. Again, understandably, that’s subjective.
    4) This was huge, Verano's driving dynamic are different. Verano has a better one center feel, better grip (partly to thicker tires), and the ride is notably quieter.
    These are some of the things... I’m sure other people will find other stuff.
    Buick is upscale, versus Chevrolet is basic. Subjectively better style, just a nice package, especially for those who don't need or want a lot of power and don't need Suburban room

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

As a Verano owner, who test drove both cars back to back; there is a difference in driving dynamics. I own a Verano turbo and there were a couple of things that sold me to it.
    1) Comfort. The level of comfort found in Verano is not found in Cruze. Not saying Cruze is an uncomfortable car, but it’s not as comfortable as a Verano.
    2) Interior layout. I understand that this can be a personal thing, but the materials are considerably nicer, both visually and haptically.
    3) The looks. Again, understandably, that’s subjective.
    4) This was huge, Verano's driving dynamic are different. Verano has a better on-center feel, better grip (partly to thicker tires), and the ride is notably quieter.

These are some of the things... I’m sure other people will find other stuff.
    -ZaC-
    Life, Liberty and The Pursuit

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    It's called Badge Engineering and is what brought to Market a Saab SUV.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 561 Posts

Verano is not a badge engineered Cruze.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NeverEnough For This Useful Post:

63GrandSport001 (01-14-2015),Al63240 (01-14-2015),ChrisGinNC (01-14-2015),jzchev28 (01-14-2015),megeebee (01-14-2015),roy219 (01-14-2015),wallus13 (01-14-2015)

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information