When the Impala is dead..what will be the new Chevy rental/company fleet car?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When the Impala is dead..what will be the new Chevy rental/company fleet car?

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Question When the Impala is dead..what will be the new Chevy rental/company fleet car?

I currently have a '09 Impala LT 3.5 as a company car. It's been a good car overall, only left me hanging once in 65,000 miles and that was from a bad battery. Mileage is averaging 27 mpg per the computer. I'm pretty happy with it overall, but it's obviously long in the tooth. When I look around, I see alot of these doing "company" duty.

I'm up for a replacement in a couple months, but it looks like the Impala will again be the car of choice this time since it's still available. My company basically runs nothing but Impalas, hundreds of them, with a few Chevy trucks mixed in. No Buicks. The cars are somewhat custom for fleet customers, having no OnStar, no sat radio, but the LTZ trim.

So...whenever the Impala does get dropped (when?) what do you think will be "the" full-size company car or rental fleet trooper from Chevy?
    1993 Chevy 1500 4X4
    2011 Chevy Impala LT Fleet (company car)
    2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (wife's)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,828 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Re: When the Impala is dead..what will be the new Chevy rental/company fleet car?

It isn't being dropped.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: When the Impala is dead..what will be the new Chevy rental/company fleet car?

A "stripper" version of the next Impala will likely become a fleet model, although the current Malibu could work. The next Malibu is a smaller more fuel efficient car, so that would be a choice in a year or so from now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    A "stripper" version of the next Impala will likely become a fleet model, although the current Malibu could work. The next Malibu is a smaller more fuel efficient car, so that would be a choice in a year or so from now.
    Didnt it come up recently in another thread the GM will continue with the current Malibu when the new one comes out and call the old 1 Classic?Maybe they will be using the Malibu as the fleet car if the next Impala goes more upmarket

Thanks
    Thanked 8,990 Times in 5,238 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_VT View Post
    ...... the next Impala goes more upmarket
    So that means transaction prices will be above that of the Cruze and Malibu in the future - Good idea!

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,828 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_VT View Post
    Didnt it come up recently in another thread the GM will continue with the current Malibu when the new one comes out and call the old 1 Classic?Maybe they will be using the Malibu as the fleet car if the next Impala goes more upmarket
    I don't think that was ever confirmed, just something that was assumed considering the previous two generations of Malibu.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    So that means transaction prices will be above that of the Cruze and Malibu in the future - Good idea!
    You know, I kinda like seeing an MSRP-25 grand Imp advertised for 16 or 17 grand.
    I paid about 16 for my 2004 MSRP 24grand, it was a solid car.
    Except the stock struts and tires were the worst GM crap, and needed to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    It isn't being dropped.
    Party pooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Impala Classic. Me like!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,326 Posts

Anyone else think that GM should continue producing the 3.5/3.9L HVV6?

I find them smoother than the 3.6L DOHC V6 and they sure are cheap to make.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Anyone else think that GM should continue producing the 3.5/3.9L HVV6?

I find them smoother than the 3.6L DOHC V6 and they sure are cheap to make.
    YES! Too bad ohv are not "cool" anymore. They are troopers and should not be scrapped. GM put some bucks into developing these after canning the 3.8 for whatever reason.

So I guess it would make sense, in their bizarre decision-making process, to dump these mills and go with something more expensive and complex that doesn't get the MPG these do.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,326 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    YES! Too bad ohv are not "cool" anymore. They are troopers and should not be scrapped. GM put some bucks into developing these after canning the 3.8 for whatever reason.

So I guess it would make sense, in their bizarre decision-making process, to dump these mills and go with something more expensive and complex that doesn't get the MPG these do.

I think that they would have been great in products like the Colorado for example, rather than the Atlas I4 and I5, would have also made an interesting, cheaper base Camaro, heck, if they could fit in the Sonic, drop one in a call it Z24.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,990 Times in 5,238 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    You know, I kinda like seeing an MSRP-25 grand Imp advertised for 16 or 17 grand.
    I paid about 16 for my 2004 MSRP 24grand, it was a solid car.
    Except the stock struts and tires were the worst GM crap, and needed to be replaced.
    Oh, don't get me wrong its great for the physiologically stable consumer, that doesn't have to have the latest-and-greatest, I actually entertained the thought, with my Dad's GM employee price, loyalty, auto-show and other rebates I figured I could get an LT for about $18K or an LTZ for about $21K - Seeing 2-3 year old decent mileage ones for $12,000 changed my mind.

I did buy my wife's Rendezvous under similar conditions - sold it 3 1/2 years later for $2,500 less than I originally paid for it new!

It is bad for the long-term sustainability and viability of a company

It will be interesting to see if the Lambda's can maintain the sales numbers, without the needed refresh, especially now that the new 7-passenger Explorer and Durango are out.
    Last edited by Ed753; 01-30-2011 at 05:46 PM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Selling a car that's MSRP $27K for $20K doesn't make it any better of vehicle. The car still makes the rest of GM look bad.

I think the Impala was a very solid car, five years ago. Sort of like the 2010 Chrysler Sebring was a good car in 1996. The rest of the competition has passed it, particularly cars like the Taurus.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

You've got to remember that the current Impala is NOT a full-size car. It's a mid-size car that happens to be big. I think the next generation Malibu should be the one pushed to fleets, not the Impala, which should, in some capacity, serve as the flagship for Chevrolet's passenger car line.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

Thanks

so if the impala is midsize, chevy doesn't make a fullsize sedan ? they should make a 2013 caprice RWD V8 !!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I don't think that was ever confirmed, just something that was assumed considering the previous two generations of Malibu.
    According to reports, the "Classic" is coming for the final year in this run but nothing officially official from GM yet.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information