What I think should happen w/ SSR...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: What I think should happen w/ SSR...

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

What I think should happen w/ SSR...

Since, out of the blue, the SSR has become a huge deal here on GMI, I think I will post here on what I think should be done with it, and it does not include anything with a sharp edge.

Do not cancel this thing! This is a one-of-a-kind vehicle, nothing out there like it! Its design it radical, unique, and instantly recognizable, as well as being pure American.

Unfortunately, the SSR has not hit the mark it intended, and is suffering now. People are even saying "kill it!", refering to this car that, in car shows, was one of the main show stoppers, and one that no one ever expected to be built due to being "so radical".

The problem? The main issue was the price and engine. People wanted that big 6.0 V8 that the show-car used. Instead, what did we get? A 5.3 V8 pumping out 300 hp, not nearly enough to live up to its design. For the price, over $40,000, the engine, as well as the who package, just wasn't good. Why buy this when you could spend $5,000 more and get the Vette with 350 hp and a suspension that would actually make back roads thrilling?

Here's what needs to be done: First off, drop the price (and NO REBATES!). Drop it to the upper $30,000's. Say, $37-$38,000 base. Bump up the hp to 400 hp. No, it's not going to make a huge difference in performance, however when people hear 390, they're still thinking 300's, ok, nothing real special. But when they hear 400, they think, WOW! 400 hp! Awesome!

Next think: Get rid of those ugly rims and put on some nice 19x9" chromes. Rims make all the difference on the exterior. It can make or break a car. The current ones just aren't flashy or cool, they dont work on this car.

Also, rebuild the suspension. The current one doesn't let you wonder to far off the main drag. People want performance! This car has GOT to offer a suspension that'll hold up when taking those corners. That's been a common-place complaint in just about every review I've read: It can cruise, it can drag, but it can't do jack shyt in the twists.

Also, cut down on weight. Sure, 10 hp wont do to much, but 10 hp increase and a lower weight could do wonders with the gas pedal. Not to mention that lower weight will also help improve its cornering. So, you've got a two-sided sword there, improving straight line performance as well as cornering abilities.

And, please: Try to get the hipsters attention with this. You've seen what they can do to the 300 and the Escalade. The SSR could use some of that too! And start marketing the right people. Showing this in commercials little 10 year olds looking at the car isn't getting you anywhere fast. Start marketing towards those who want what this car as to offer: Drop-dead awesome looks, one-of-a-kind design, and plenty of power. Add the above, and they can expand to market towards those who want well-rounded performance.

And with a lower cost, though not SO LOW that they aren't making money, this car should be a knock-out in sells and profit. Just what Chevy needs.

They could sell a million of those Aveo's and they wont be making money. But sell 15,000 of these in a year at $38-$40,000 or more and now you're talkin!
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: What I think should happen w/ SSR...

It was a halfassed attempt. They had plenty of time to make the car right the first time but as usual they gave it an inferior suspension and priced it out of reach.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the styling of the SSR is a little too, cartoon-ish. If GM made it look more aggressive than it might be more attractive to more buyers. Keep the curves, but you can still make it look mean. For the practicality of the vehicle, I think it should be priced in the low to mid thirties. Is there anything in particular that makes it cost $40+? If you look at a front/side view of the SSR and think about it, it's got a pitbull's hear in a poodle body. It looks good, but just not mean or 'cool' at all. It has a lot of power and bite, needs the looks to go with it.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

The SSR doesn't excel at anything except looks. It can't really be used as a truck, it can't really be raced, despite the good engine, unless you are racing only with other sport trucks, because it is a heavy brick. It would be a great platform for hot rodders, but as noted here, it was priced out of reach, and those guys are all about stretching the dollar and buying a used antique and souping it up anyway.

Thanks

too bad the decisions already been made and theyre dumping it for the El camino from australia

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

Taycron: I would say it was more than half-assed, but yes, you're right, not what it could have/should have been like on the first try. That's what screwed them up. That and the price.

Swahili: Cartoonish? Not cool enough? I'd have to disagree... in pictures it looks good, but in person, WOW! Just... WOW. Amazing... and looking at it, to me anyway, it is quite aggressive and cool. Also, as it is, you're right, it's not worth the over $40,000 you have to pay unless you're all about looks and cruising... but doing what I suggested would indeed qualify it for a base price of near it. And remember, they need to still make money off of it, and keep it fairly rare while still selling.

gacSTclass: That's why I said to lighten it up. Lightening it up will help it be much better in a race. And even the way it is, it isn't slow by any measure - except against the similarly priced and powered Vette.

327: *sigh* The SSR is such a cool car and has so much potential!
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

Thanks

Poor GM can't get no respect. The automotive press criticizes GM designs for being boring and unimaginative. So they built the Aztec.

Well, at least it was different.

Undaunted, GM persevered with the SSR. Strike two, but at least it was over the plate.

The beancounters must have been pulling out their collective hair when Lutz decided to build the beautiful Solstice. Beautiful, classic lines, priced right, it'll sell like hotcakes.

There's a lesson to be gained here. (see also: Ford Mustang)

Make it look good and price it right, and they will come. Oh, and keep swinging the bat.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

$27,500 at the very most. Folks gawking at auto shows does not = sales.
    I personally have no use for this type of vastly overweight underutilitarian seeme type vehicle, but if they want to make money or garner sales or even do both, GM needs to return to planet Earth regarding prices.
    Right now their pricing/ rebates/ realmarketvalue/ customersareclueless/ 6martinilunch department seems to be stationed on Uranus.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information