What do you want in Chevy's muscle car?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want in Chevy's muscle car?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Question What do you want in Chevy's muscle car?

Ok. I've read a lot of people both ay and nay about the possibilities of a future Camaro, I've read ay and nay about what the Camaro was, is, can, and should be. I've also read the same about the Monte Carlo.

However, as many of us are well aware, GM is going to be building a Zeta coupe for Chevy and being that the next generation of GTO is going to be a Zeta coupe, it's pretty safe to say that Chevy's Zeta coupe is going to be a muscle car, something similar in criteria to the Mustang.

What I would like to know, is what do YOU, the GMI'er, want in the upcoming Chevy Zeta coupe/muscle car?

There are a couple restrictions I'm placing here first.

1) Make your requests realistic. No rat motors, big blocks, etc because we all know that's not going to happen in current times.

And
    2) Before you disect someone else post, make your own suggestion first.

i.e. do you want it to be called Camaro, Chevelle, Monte Carlo? Are you indifferent to what it's called? Do you want a V6 base, mid level V8 and high-po V8? What power levels are appropriate? Do you want two doors, four doors? Do you want a heritage design or a modern design? Do you want choice between automatic and manual? Do you want the chance for a bare bones car with a high-po V8? You get the picture. Anything you want but obviously within reason and realism.

I'd go first, but I'm not sure what I want yet. Floor is open.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: What do you want in Chevy's muscle car?

it should be ONLY 2 door with heritage and modern styling, v6, v8, and a big CID v8 small block , or big block, with manual and automatic. it should have a useable backseat too./ and maybe a stripped down version for racing with the big V8. IT should be called the CAMARO

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

I would love to see the Camaro, Chevelle, and Monte co-exist once again...

Camaro: Two doors only. V6 and V8 ranging from 275-300 base upto 350-375 hp SS. Prices should range from mid-teens to around $30,000-$32,000 for fully loaded SS. Should target young buyers who want that sporty-car look with 2+2 seating, able to modify it without to much work, and look very flashy. A touch of heritage in the style, but also modern/futuristic look. Not bland, very flashy.

Chevelle: Two and four doors. V8 only. 300/325 hp on base engine to 400 or 425 for SS. Prices should range from upper teens ($17,000 to $18,000) up to low/mid thirty's ($33,000-$34,000) for fully loaded SS. Should target youth who can't quite afford the GTO, but want something fast, powerful, and bold. NOT sporty-car looking like the Camaro, but rather have that menacing, bold, aggressive look - broad shouldered. Very text-book muscle-car looking that is modern. Have some heritage touches, however.

Monte Carlo: Two doors only. V8 engine with 300 (base)-400 (SS) hp. Prices should range from mid-twenties to mid or upper thirties, and be aimed at those who are finally getting settled down, and want to upgrade from their 454 Chevelles and '69 Camaro's of the past to something nicer, quieter and smoother, without being bland, boring, or underpowered. Very GT coupe-like in how it is styled, handles, and feels. Should have an understated aggressiveness, with an easily-noticable boldness. Very little heritage in its design, it is simply, yet bold and almost aggressive on the exterior, while being simple and classy on the interior.
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'm surprised more people haven't been in here to duke it out. Seeing as how the topic is so intensely debated in the Kappa Camaro thread. Time for what I'd like to see...

I'd really like to see the Camaro come back so that Mustang would have someone to play with again. Nothing can quite compare to the rivalry of these two classic American nameplates. Make it two door obvisouly, and make the 3.9 with 240hp stock equipment for the base model. For the midline model with a V8, 330-340hp would be appropriate I would think, and then a top of the line model should have 400-425hp. I think all models should come with either a 6 speed auto or manual, use the heavy duty trannies in the V8 models. Stying is a lot more difficult to suggest, but I think the car shouldn't look as low slung as the 4th generations. It shouldn't look like a poor man's Corvette, but have it's own unique styling. Pricing should match equivalent models of the Mustang as long as it can be built for less (obviously) and remain profitable.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

Thanks

Let me give this a stab. The Camaro should be RWD only and weigh less than 3300 pounds. I did like the styling of the 1970-81 the best but as a whole it should be a bit low slung. A base V6 would be such a bad thing seeing as the Mustang still has one. Maybe the 3.9 liter V6 with the 5.3 liter for the middle ground and the 6.0 liter for the top. A 2+2 bodystyle just like the old one. Long hood short deck. Now a Chevelle......... Hmmmmmm........... Since it was kind of an inexpensive car to begin with it should remain so today. It should be mid-sized just like the old ones. I am less fussy about if it is front or rear wheel drive. It can be 2 or 4 doors since the old ones were too. The Monte Carlo, To me it is good just the way it is. If you want RWD go with the Camaro. Keep the Monte Carlo practical, keep it a 2-door and keep it big enough so 4 adults can sit comfortably. Keep the folding rear seats, keep the engine choices the way they are now,Put wood dash pieces instead of silver. Remember people the Monte Carlo is supposed to be a practical 2-door for EVERYDAY use and everyday use includes some tough conditions here. It should be easy to live with.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanRevolution
    I would love to see the Camaro, Chevelle, and Monte co-exist once again...
    So would I .

But, I'm pretty sure that won't ever happen again, due to the increasing demands for "practical" cars. I always find it humorous to read people speaking about FWD and how Chevy doesn't need more than one of a type of vehicle, when it has been done before (i.e. Malibu/Chevelle and Monte Carlo, 1970-1982) and Chevy was just fine then, with both vehicles being RWD .

*shrugs*

I guess I don't have too much of a preference, except to echo what some of you all have written already. I would love for the car to be named Monte Carlo, especially if it is RWD with a V8 option. But, if it is not going to be called that, then definitely Camaro....and drop the MC name altogether....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 31swm/pig valve/pacemaker
    '72/'6/'9/'81/'7, train/models = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
    MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
    MC's Future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by knightfan26917
    I guess I don't have too much of a preference, except to echo what some of you all have written already. I would love for the car to be named Monte Carlo, especially if it is RWD with a V8 option. But, if it is not going to be called that, then definitely Camaro....and drop the MC name altogether....
    Well, that depends... I wouldn't wanna see a big coupe like what the MC is now with a 'Camaro' name plate on it... nor would I was a 2 door SS concept with the Camaro name plate on it... nothing like that would work... needs to be like it always has...
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > 2005 QSM GTO M6 > 2006 Mercury Milan Premier (debt free!) > 2016 Audi A3

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

Oh, guys... you may be interested in this... http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=10262 Posted by me... my ideal Chevy lineup... and http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?p=151955 is a list of my series of "My Ideal Lineup" threads...
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I want to see a four-door RWD sedan for the family.
    But something with balls and some good looks. Give
    the LS a V6, the LT a toned down LS2/A4, and drop
    a full bore LS2/M6 into an SS version. Make sure the
    car has plenty of options, not a load of standard junk,
    since I want a cheap LT (LS2) version with "no frills".
    Turbocharged 4.3 S10

Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Well, that depends... I wouldn't wanna see a big coupe like what the MC is now with a 'Camaro' name plate on it... nor would I was a 2 door SS concept with the Camaro name plate on it... nothing like that would work... needs to be like it always has...
    *nods*

Very, very true.

See...and that's the whole "issue" with using the old, familiar, nostalgic names. You use them incorrectly and the public is going to let you know...well, at least in most cases. It is a very fine line, which apparently, Chevrolet/GM and Dodge do not mind crossing....heh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehemi
    I want to see a four-door RWD sedan for the family.
    But something with balls and some good looks. Give
    the LS a V6, the LT a toned down LS2/A4, and drop
    a full bore LS2/M6 into an SS version. Make sure the
    car has plenty of options, not a load of standard junk,
    since I want a cheap LT (LS2) version with "no frills".
    I'd like to see the Impala follow along this route somewhat in that general direction. Maybe it will after the all new ones come out in a few years.

What are your guys thoughts about having a Chevelle name teamed up with the Malibu again? Maybe make the Chevelle a top of the line Malibu or something?
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

*nods*

Very, very true.

See...and that's the whole "issue" with using the old, familiar, nostalgic names. You use them incorrectly and the public is going to let you know...well, at least in most cases. It is a very fine line, which apparently, Chevrolet/GM and Dodge do not mind crossing....heh.
    Yip... and the buying public, and GM faithful have the duty to remind GM just what we actually want instead of what they somehow imagine we want...

Well, GM... Dodge... whoever...
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:

Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Yip... and the buying public, and GM faithful have the duty to remind GM just what we actually want instead of what they somehow imagine we want...
    Absolutely! Which is why we started the petition for the Monte Carlo....not that we think it'll make a difference in decisions at Chevrolet/GM, but more to give people an avenue to express their views/opinions....

*shrugs*

Seems to have worked. I have corresponded with a couple of executives at Chevrolet (1 via phone) since I sent the petition up there the 1st time. The one I spoke with told me that he agreed with me...and hinted that he thinks I'll like what is upcoming. As I told him, I won't believe that until I see the proof .

And, Swahili, I like the idea of bringing back the Chevelle name, but I highly doubt Chevelle enthusiasts would want it coming back on a FWD, V6 car....

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Audi A3 Blue

Absolutely! Which is why we started the petition for the Monte Carlo....not that we think it'll make a difference in decisions at Chevrolet/GM, but more to give people an avenue to express their views/opinions....

*shrugs*

Seems to have worked. I have corresponded with a couple of executives at Chevrolet (1 via phone) since I sent the petition up there the 1st time. The one I spoke with told me that he agreed with me...and hinted that he thinks I'll like what is upcoming. As I told him, I won't believe that until I see the proof .

And, Swahili, I like the idea of bringing back the Chevelle name, but I highly doubt Chevelle enthusiasts would want it coming back on a FWD, V6 car....
    OOO! OOOO! Where's the petition? If it's on the forum, I apparently missed it... but what's all on the MC petition?

And, I've always wanted the Chevelle name revived at a V8 (only), RWC muscle coupe (with 4-doors as a model, too)... though you prob noticed that earlier in this thread as well as in My Ideal Chevy Lineup...
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2016 Audi A3

My Succession of Cars:

News Contributor
    Thanks

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information