Traverse, Accord earn top NHTSA scores; Lucerne gets just 3/5 stars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Traverse, Accord earn top NHTSA scores; Lucerne gets just 3/5 stars

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Focus ZXW 5-speed

Traverse, Accord earn top NHTSA scores; Lucerne gets just 3/5 stars

NHTSA's rollout of the tougher ratings continues. Photos and details of the latest three vehicles released:

http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-nat...ne-falls-short

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Aprime's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Traverse, Accord earn top NHTSA scores; Lucerne gets just 3/5 stars

Why can't the NHTSA take proper crash test pictures?

Hell why can't Transport Canada take pictures at all? The only pics we get are from the crashed cars being auctioned off for parts.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 JeffInDFW's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    96 Viper GTS/11 MINI Cooper S

Two things jump out at me in this story....

Of the Accord's competitors, the Sonata matched its top score but the Chevrolet Malibu and Subaru Legacy/Outback earned only four out of five stars and the Toyota Camry earned just three.

The NHTSA rating cannot be compared against classes because the frontal test easier on lighter cars, because it simulates striking a car of the same weight. Rollover and side-impact ratings are comparable among vehicles of all weight.

The Toyota Camry earning 3 stars, and the crap about lighter weight cars being tested "easier" because it simulates it being hit by a similar weight car. Soooooo, if you buy a roller skate eco mobile, you BETTER make sure you only get hit by OTHER roller skate eco mobiles. This is totally a load of bull. SO, when you are standing on the showroom floor looking at the ratings, you think the little car will protect your family as well as the large sedan because they both have 5 star ratings.
    Toyota--The Official Vehicle of Terrorist Everywhere

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post

Of the Accord's competitors, the Sonata matched its top score but the Chevrolet Malibu and Subaru Legacy/Outback earned only four out of five stars and the Toyota Camry earned just three.

The NHTSA rating cannot be compared against classes because the frontal test easier on lighter cars, because it simulates striking a car of the same weight. Rollover and side-impact ratings are comparable among vehicles of all weight.

The Toyota Camry earning 3 stars, and the crap about lighter weight cars being tested "easier" because it simulates it being hit by a similar weight car. Soooooo, if you buy a roller skate eco mobile, you BETTER make sure you only get hit by OTHER roller skate eco mobiles. This is totally a load of bull. SO, when you are standing on the showroom floor looking at the ratings, you think the little car will protect your family as well as the large sedan because they both have 5 star ratings.
    I never understood why crash tests are different for different size and weight vehicles. It should be the same for a fullsize SUV and a Smart. That would allow people to TRULY judge which vehicle will likely protect them in an accident.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I would guess that the Engineers designing the Lucerne's platform back in the early 00's weren't concerned with meeting future 2010 regulations for side impacts. So it is not much of a surprise for the rating of 3/5.

I would be much more concerned if any of the current new designs scored less than 4/5 and would expect 5/5 on most (otherwise why the hell do GM vehicles weigh so much?).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Kudos for GM on the Traverse - that's fantastic. I'm surprised it did better on side impacts than front.

It's nice to see Honda finally update the Accord, too.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,750 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

These new crash tests are still a load of crap. When was the last time you saw a wreck where two cars hit exactly head to head. It doesnt happen. The IIHS tests the vehicles in a far better way and they are the ones I look at for my crash tests.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    These new crash tests are still a load of crap. When was the last time you saw a wreck where two cars hit exactly head to head. It doesnt happen. The IIHS tests the vehicles in a far better way and they are the ones I look at for my crash tests.
    If you T-bone someone else, your impact may be flat.

But if you're moving fast enough that the front impact rating of your vehicle matters, you probably butchered the people in the vehicle you hit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post

Yes, and it's even worse than that in some other aspects.

Of the 'base' star scores the Lucerne earned 5/5 + 4/5 = 5 oa vs Camry ( lighter class ) @ 4/5 + 2/5 = 3 oa for frontal testing.

For the ( three ) side tests the Lucerne had a 1/5 + 2/5 + 2/5 = 2 oa.

Camry was 5/5 + 2/5 + 2/5 = 3 oa

Rollover was basically a Lucerne 5/5 vs a Camry 4/5 with a slight advantage on roll over resistance for the Lucerne to go with it.

They got their way of weighting the results which gives a total rating of 3/5 to the Camry and Lucerne - yet when one considers the above plus the higher inertia class for the Lucerne clearly the advantage for Lucerne increases - in spite of the one side score where it gets trounced.

Perhaps seven or ten stars could have been used in the new testing to usefully spread and distinguish the new test scores - which may have also allowed some kind of useful relation with regards to the old system's scores.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 10-29-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information