Thinking of buying a Cobalt LS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Thinking of buying a Cobalt LS

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Thinking of buying a Cobalt LS

The seats in my Civic Si were stolen (gotta love Jersey), so I'm thinking of getting a Cobalt LS sedan with a five-speed and sport package. I test drove an automatic (the manual was getting worked on in the shop), and I liked it pretty well.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen good deals in northern NJ or, even better, bought one himself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Thinking of buying a Cobalt LS

I bought a white Cobalt LS sedan with an automatic and the 1SA (non-sport) package on Feb. 16. I got it for under $16,000 after rebates and discounts. I'm quite happy with it so far.

Thanks

i looked at the ion. the cobalt coupes are few and far between. and i definitely wanted a coupe. strayed away from my corvette, my cutlass and ended up with a scion tc. If you are to get the cobalt. make sure they don't jack you with sticker price. they're VERY willing to work and uh =) wait till the end of the month. they're almost always willing to lose actually money on a car if they can meet their car quota for the month by selling it =)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzgazm
    wait till the end of the month. they're almost always willing to lose actually money on a car if they can meet their car quota for the month by selling it =)
    You make a good point... I'll play that card if I have to.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s113
    I bought a white Cobalt LS sedan with an automatic and the 1SA (non-sport) package on Feb. 16. I got it for under $16,000 after rebates and discounts. I'm quite happy with it so far.
    That gibes pretty well with what I'm seeing. Thanks for the info...

Thanks

This is just me, but I would wait until the "SS" comes out this summer. The 2.4l engine that is coming out is going to be much nicer than the standard Ecotec.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

The back seat is rather cramped in the Cobalt. So, if you're not going to use it anyway, try out the coupe. Utility is nearly the same.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gacSTclass
    This is just me, but I would wait until the "SS" comes out this summer. The 2.4l engine that is coming out is going to be much nicer than the standard Ecotec.
    That thought did cross my mind, because it'd be cool to have put it side by side with my dad's '66 Nova SS L79... But the LS automatic does 60 in 8.4 seconds, and I'm sure the stick is a bit quicker. That's plenty quick for me, and I'm looking to buy soon (if I don't decide to rent a spot for my Civic).

Also, isn't the 2.4L SS automatic only?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC xtremegrandam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmiller417
    That thought did cross my mind, because it'd be cool to have put it side by side with my dad's '66 Nova SS L79... But the LS automatic does 60 in 8.4 seconds, and I'm sure the stick is a bit quicker. That's plenty quick for me, and I'm looking to buy soon (if I don't decide to rent a spot for my Civic).

Also, isn't the 2.4L SS automatic only?
    Yes it only comes in automatic.

Thanks

I love the SI.Did you have the coupe or hatch? That car was probaly one of my favorite Hondas. Getting a cobalt ss as its replacement would be cool.

P.S. Not to get off the subject but I seen my first blue G6 on the street and could not believe how nice it was.

Thanks

I think you should go for it. Those are nice cars! I sat in an LS fully loaded at a dealership in California and it was suprisingly luxurious for an economy car.

Thanks

I have seen TV lease specials for the Cobalt, coupe or sedan, 139 per month with 1200 out of pocket for 36 months, I also have seen ads where Chevrolet is extending the warranty for Cobalts, giving customers a 4 year/50,00 mi warranty.

This is what I would recommend, comming from someone that was in car sales for 6 years..

Go to GMBuyPower.com, build your Cobalt and see if what you want is at any local dealerships, you can also find out what rebates or special financing offers are being offered from Chevrolet in you region, there also is a link to GMAC where you can use the payment calculator.

Or...

You can just go to the Chevrolet dealership, find a large one with lots of inventory, that way they will more than likely have a car closest to what you want, I myself would go for a Cobalt LS coupe in a dark color, with the aluminum wheels, and a 5 speed and a sunroof, but thats me. Pick out the car, drive the car, then offer the salesman, $100 over invoice, thats fair, research what you want first, find the invoice ammount online, most websites are pretty close to what the actual dealer invoice is, ask them to show you the actuall inovice. Forget the whole " lose money" gimmick, dealerships are not in business to lose money, do you go to work to not make money? I did'nt think so..

Remember that you also have rebates and or special interest rates.

Just go with time and patience, do your homework and find the Cobalt that you want. Then make a fair offer on the car, $100 over invoice is pretty fair for a high volume item like the Cobalt, except for the Supercharged SS model.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by diablo4
    I love the SI.Did you have the coupe or hatch? That car was probaly one of my favorite Hondas. Getting a cobalt ss as its replacement would be cool.

P.S. Not to get off the subject but I seen my first blue G6 on the street and could not believe how nice it was.

I have a 2002 hatchback... It gets bad press because it's not the old Si, but I really love the car, too. It's a great car to own, except for the vandalism.

I've done a little research on where I am financially with the car (resale, etc.), and it looks like it may be worth it to risk keeping it a while longer. Then maybe I'll get a Cobalt SS, or a Solstice!

Thanks

I ordered an LS Coupe over the weekend. Automatic trans, Arrival Blue, sports pkg, enhanced audio, and sunroof. I test drove a base coupe because they didn't have an LS coupe but it was really nice. Can't wait until mine gets here.

Paid about $400 below invoice when all was said and done thanks to incentives and my company's GM discount.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information