Steering issues?

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Steering issues?

  1. #1
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Steering issues?

    I have an 07 Impala, when im trying to get out a parking space with my wheel turned my steering makes a belt slipping sound. Its only with my wheel turned and moving a little bit and you can feel it in the steering a little. What could be the problem? It mostly does it when i make a 3 point turn!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    it makes a noise like a worn timing belt but i dont think thats what it is

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 sonjaab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Syracuse-Alexandria Bay NY-Daytona
    Posts
    3,249
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 108 Times in 77 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    Electric or conventional steering?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    Electric I think!

  7. #5
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Lowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,580
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 523 Times in 323 Posts
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

    Re: Steering issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    Electric I think!
    No, I believe you have standard hydraulic steering.
    Hard to diagnos noises without hearing them.
    I've found noises coming from strut bearing plates, dry ball joints can cause hard turning causing the pump to work harder and raise pressure over the relief valve which you can hear. Some times there is TSB on the high pressure hose causing a noise.

  8. #6
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,583
    Thanks
    611
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 457 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    I have an 07 Impala, when im trying to get out a parking space with my wheel turned my steering makes a belt slipping sound. Its only with my wheel turned and moving a little bit and you can feel it in the steering a little. What could be the problem? It mostly does it when i make a 3 point turn!


    I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ (3.9 V-6) and the day I brought the car home from the dealer the p/s pump made noise. I checked the p/s pump reservoir and found the p/s fluid was low (not even touching the dip stick tube). I added the correct fluid and it elminated the noise. The factory and the dealer did a miserable job of building and preparing the car.

    From another post - you said you have 86,000 miles on the car. I would check the fluid and change the serpentine belt - they are easy to change. Use a GM part (or a high quality belt). I suspect this will eliminate your belt slipping sound. The belts are now "rated" by GM for 100,000 miles - but I would still change it. You car has a conventional power steering system.

    Good luck - let us know what you determine.

  9. #7
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    I filled the fluid yesterday, so far it hasn't leaked out so i guess its not the pump. It only does it when I am moving real slow turning around or doing a 3 point turn. I checked the wheel wells its not rubbing up against anything. Could it be the intermediate steering shaft? Or a power steering pulley needs tightening?

  10. #8
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ (3.9 V-6) and the day I brought the car home from the dealer the p/s pump made noise. I checked the p/s pump reservoir and found the p/s fluid was low (not even touching the dip stick tube). I added the correct fluid and it elminated the noise. The factory and the dealer did a miserable job of building and preparing the car.

    From another post - you said you have 86,000 miles on the car. I would check the fluid and change the serpentine belt - they are easy to change. Use a GM part (or a high quality belt). I suspect this will eliminate your belt slipping sound. The belts are now "rated" by GM for 100,000 miles - but I would still change it. You car has a conventional power steering system.

    Good luck - let us know what you determine.



    You think it would make that sound just from turning the wheel?

  11. #9
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,583
    Thanks
    611
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 457 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    I filled the fluid yesterday, so far it hasn't leaked out so i guess its not the pump. It only does it when I am moving real slow turning around or doing a 3 point turn. I checked the wheel wells its not rubbing up against anything. Could it be the intermediate steering shaft? Or a power steering pulley needs tightening?


    You are guessing.

    The ISS makes a clunk noise at slow-speed steering wheel turns.

    The power steering pump is pressed onto the pump shaft. It doesn't slip.

  12. #10
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,583
    Thanks
    611
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 457 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    You think it would make that sound just from turning the wheel?


    Yes, it can make the slipping sound when turning the wheel at slower speeds. That is when more steering effort is required.

    I just replaced the serpentine belt on my son's 2004 Grand Prix at 93,000 miles (with a GM belt) - also a W-body car. The enqine is quieter at idle with the new belt. The belt is very easy to change. The ribs on the belt wear slowly, and eventually they can slip as the belt is not fully seated in the pulley grooves.

    Change the belt.

  13. #11
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Steering issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    Yes, it can make the slipping sound when turning the wheel at slower speeds. That is when more steering effort is required.

    I just replaced the serpentine belt on my son's 2004 Grand Prix at 93,000 miles (with a GM belt) - also a W-body car. The enqine is quieter at idle with the new belt. The belt is very easy to change. The ribs on the belt wear slowly, and eventually they can slip as the belt is not fully seated in the pulley grooves.

    Change the belt.

    I though so too. Thanks

  14. #12
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Lowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,580
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 523 Times in 323 Posts
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

    Re: Steering issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    I added the correct fluid and it elminated the noise. The factory and the dealer did a miserable job of building and preparing the car.
    This was totally the dealers fault.
    They get paid to prep the car before it is even put on the lot much less letting it get to the customer. Part of the prep is check ALL fluid levels and tire pressure to name a few items. During assembly when building 170,000+ units annually the fluid fill machines can, and do, meter out the wrong amout of fluid.

  15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2