stabilitrak equinox

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: stabilitrak equinox

Walking
    Thanks

stabilitrak equinox

Do I always want the stabilitrak on or off? Curious with this rainy weather what I should have it set for. The stabilitrak light is on which means its off correct?
    Guess what Im asking is when to have it on and when to have it off.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Re: stabilitrak equinox

Unless your racing, it's safer to keep Stabilitrak on. What year/engine is you 'nox?
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks

'10, 2.4L 4 cyl.
    thought it should be on, just notice on the way home the light for the stabilitrak button was on, reading the manual it says when the light is on it means the stabilitrak is off... wth? wouldnt it make more sense the other way? wasnt sure if I hit it or what, thought the light was usually always off...?
    So.... if I want the stabilitrak on, the light should be off? So confused.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    '10, 2.4L 4 cyl.
    thought it should be on, just notice on the way home the light for the stabilitrak button was on, reading the manual it says when the light is on it means the stabilitrak is off... wth? wouldnt it make more sense the other way? wasnt sure if I hit it or what, thought the light was usually always off...?
    So.... if I want the stabilitrak on, the light should be off? So confused.
    You don't have to be confused The most likely scenario would be that you bumped it on accident. On our Envoy, the button is on the gear shifter. My sister's Saturn Vue (same car) has the button located right below the radio. The best thing to do is to find the button, and push it. This should turn Stabilitrak back on.
    Current:

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks

but am I reading the manual right? (Not sure your Envoy is the same or not), if the light is on that means the stabilitrak is off?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

but am I reading the manual right? (Not sure your Envoy is the same or not), if the light is on that means the stabilitrak is off?
    Envoy is different, yes. If the light is on, that means Stabilitrak has been turned off. So if you want to turn it back on, push the stabilitrak button.
    Current:

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks

ok, thank you for answering the stupid little question of mine. Sounds like it should reset it self to on once I turn the car back on anyway. Guess I'll see. its been one of those long days today, thank you again!

Supporting Vendor GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Lenore,

On the 2010 Equinox if the StabiliTrak icon is lit with "OFF" below it also lit the system is in fact off. If the StabiliTrak icon flashes, the system is working to control the vehicle. However if the StabiliTrak icon stays lit without the "OFF" lit as well the vehicle needs to be serviced.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service
    Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit Hidden Content !

Follow us @Hidden Content on Twitter.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

ok, thank you for answering the stupid little question of mine. Sounds like it should reset it self to on once I turn the car back on anyway. Guess I'll see. its been one of those long days today, thank you again!
    No question is stupid I forgot to say welcome to GMI
    Current:

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure if it's the same with the new Equinox, but my TB is set up as:

Hit the button once, traction control is turned off (icon is illuminated).
    Hold the button down a few seconds, StabiliTrak is off in its entirety (icon flashes a few times and then stays illuminated).
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks

ok, I took a look at it again. I think I was confused with the stabilitrak and the traction control system, they seem to be the same thing, if Im wrong let me know.

Holding the button down for three seconds or so doesnt seem to do anything different. So it doesnt look like I can turn off one and not the other.

The button on the instrument panel for the stabilitrak is always lit when the inside lights are on (at night), during the day time when the inside lights are off the light for the stabilitrak is off. (whether I push the button or not.)
    When I press the stabilitrak button, the traction control system symbol (TC) shows up on the driver information center and says whether the TC is on or off. I was expecting another symbol for the stabilitrak (something that looks like a car with wavy lines) on the DIC saying it was off or on too, but it doesnt, so they seem to be one and the same.

So what Im gathering is if the TC says "on" on the DIC - both traction control and the stabilitrak are on....?

I just dont like sounding all girly when it comes to cars. But I really appreciate your guys help, Thanks again!!

Walking
    Thanks

I think I was confused with the stabilitrak and the traction control system, they seem to be the same thing, if Im wrong let me know.
    No, they are different systems, stabilitrak helps with cornering, it will apply breaks to the certain wheels and/or cut fuel to avoid understeer/oversteer.

Traction control will prevent you from spinning the wheels too much and burning your tires, try stepping on the gas from the dead stop with and without traction control. You will see/hear/smell the difference.

There are two different light on the dash, one for stabilitrak, another for traction. You will see the corresponding light blinking if you try spinning your tires or cause oversteer. If the light is always on, it means the system is disengaged and will not interfere with brakes/fuel

Walking
    Thanks

The light on the button is always on during the night and always off during the day, (just depends on if I have my lights on or not). Its the same for the eco button next to it.
    There doesnt seem to be an option to turn off or on the stabilitrak, just the traction control. So I dont know.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

The light on the button is always on during the night and always off during the day, (just depends on if I have my lights on or not). Its the same for the eco button next to it.
    There doesnt seem to be an option to turn off or on the stabilitrak, just the traction control. So I dont know.
    I would not worry that the button illuminates when the headlights are on. What matters is the instrument panel display. Perhaps StabiliTrak may not be turned off in the Equinox, but traction control should certainly be able to turn on or off because there are times when you'll want it off. This may explain why only the T/C displays in the DIC, and that even holding the button down for several seconds nothing happens to StabiliTrak.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information