The SS line

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The SS line

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The SS line

The new Aussie SS sedan will be on it's way soon, but the only other Chevy carrying the SS is the Camaro. Anyone else wish GM would expand this properly again? Cobalt SS and HHR SS with turbo were fun, as was the Trailblazer SS with LS2. The Malibu and Impalas were lackluster, and the Silverado SS was mediocre. Thoughts? Which vehicles would you like to see carry the SS on them? What would it take to make it a proper SS for each? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Re: The SS line

Quote Originally Posted by JacozSS View Post
    The new Aussie SS sedan will be on it's way soon, but the only other Chevy carrying the SS is the Camaro. Anyone else wish GM would expand this properly again? Cobalt SS and HHR SS with turbo were fun, as was the Trailblazer SS with LS2. The Malibu and Impalas were lackluster, and the Silverado SS was mediocre. Thoughts? Which vehicles would you like to see carry the SS on them? What would it take to make it a proper SS for each? Thanks!

What do I wish GM would do? Cruze SS. What will GM probably do. Whatever the Code 130R comes out as will be an SS model.

I don't think GM will go back to making everything an SS again.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't mind there being SS models on each vehicle so long as the upgrades are actually significant enough to warrant a SS badge. With that said, bringing back the "Sport" trim might be a good idea across the line -- definitely for the Malibu if they won't make a SS.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Malibu and Impala would do well with RS models, and maybe Sport models like demonspeed suggested.

Cruze and Sonic should have SS models.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

Thanks

The Cruze and Silverado should get proper SS trim levels.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Sport and rs are great ideas but Chevy knows they diluted the SS badge with the Malibu, Monte Carlo Impala and other similar cars. Even the Silverado was a joke. Only serious performance cars should wear that badge.

I'd love to see an Impala sport! SS needs to wait for rwd.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    The Cruze and Silverado should get proper SS trim levels.
    I agree. Chevy needs a silverado SS like the Tremor. Regular cab, 2wd or awd, 6.2 (455hp version) and 3.73 gears. GMC needs the off road truck.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Quote Originally Posted by JacozSS View Post
    I wish they would but they need to be true performance cars not just graphics or add on ground effects and spoilers. While they are at it give the SS a proper name. The vehicles I would like is the Cruze,Sonic,spark silverado and Tahoe and of course the Camaro. I think the Impala and Malibu need an upgrades performance version but not a full blown SS version. While they are at it do an upgrade performance version on all of GM vehicles.

Thanks

I disagree withe the sonic cruze and spark. Pick one, SS needs to be special.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

With the mentioning of RS designation... While it went through a period in the 80's and early 90's of being a mid-level sport package, I believe it's since returned to its initial roots of being a sport appearance package. Is there room for three levels?

Rally Sport - just appearance upgrades to look a bit "sportier." Perhaps not considered a particular model; rather just an option
    Sport - an actual model with upgraded suspension, some drivetrain tweaks, and aesthetics
    Super Sport - the "all out" performance model with significant improvements across the vehicle.

We'd of course have "Z" coded vehicles as well, but those would be reserved for models that have been upgraded to the point where the masses won't likely be picking them up due to price of admission (ie: Camaro SS to Camaro ZL1/Z28).
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

Thanks

The SS badge should be reserved for V8 RWD models only. Let RS be the badge for HO V6 with FWD or AWD. Although I'm not a fan of the Code 140R styling, I am a fanatic about the alpha platform. Make a line of alpha based models including a Monte Carlo or Chevelle 5 passenger coupe, a Nomad 5 passenger sport wagon, and a 2 passenger El Camino ute. Let the top V8 models be called SS but use the new 5.3L rather than the Camaro or Corvette's 6.2L V8s for the increase in fuel economy, which should be pretty respectable in the light weight chassis especially with cylinder deactivation and DI.

As for the upcoming SS sedan, I couldn't be more disappointed in GM's lack of commitment here. Beyond the bland styling, the 5-year-old drivetrain should've been shelved in favor of the new Vette's 455HP V8 and 7-speed manual transmission so it could be the real Vette sedan that Chevy said it would be.

I'm not a truck guy so I'll leave the recommendations of a Tahoe SS, a Suburban SS, and a Silverado SS to those who are.
    Last edited by T'Cal; 09-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Grandsport

Quote Originally Posted by xwoodx View Post
    I disagree withe the sonic cruze and spark. Pick one, SS needs to be special.
    If not an SS in those model they should at least have an upgraded performance model. Like I said before all of GM need an upgraded performance model. Those were my picks but would defiantly like to see a SS Silverado and Tahoe. What are your picks?

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

In its current use, SS seems to designate V8 performance, while Z seems to designate cars that have been gone through to improve all elements of performance. RS is just a sport-appearance package, sometimes with small performance upgrades (e.g. Sonic RS).

To me, I'd rather see the RS package get a bit more depth, with a minimum of improved handling and braking, with a upgraded engine at least available. An Impala RS with a standard V6, paddles shifters and full manual control, a handling/braking/tire upgrade would be pretty cool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firefox View Post
    If not an SS in those model they should at least have an upgraded performance model. Like I said before all of GM need an upgraded performance model. Those were my picks but would defiantly like to see a SS Silverado and Tahoe. What are your picks?
    They should definitely upgrade those cars, they have the engines so use them. Sonic and spark sport with a 1.6t would be a hit. Cruze SS with the 272hp 2.0t?

Silverado SS, Camaro SS, Cruze SS and a Impala SS (once it moves to rwd, for now they need an Impala sport). Possibly a Tahoe SS, if they bring the 2 door Tahoe back.

They are in a great position to really make some special cars by raiding the parts bin for most of the changes. The Chevy truck SS models should be street pounders, GMC versions should be off-road beasts.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,257 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
    Yes I'd sure like to see SS's for pretty much every model as long as they are done right. I think a Volt SS could be sweet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information