Is something wrong with my Malibu trans?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Is something wrong with my Malibu trans?

Walking
    Thanks

Is something wrong with my Malibu trans?

I just bought a used 2010 malibu Ls with 67500 miles. I bought it with a trans leak that the original owner had no clue about, and i got it fixed right away. The vehicle runs great, accelerates and decelerates great, but i have noticed that when i try to maintain any speed seemingly under 45mph the car jerks. Not violently, it just shudders back and forth, if you will. When it does this the rpms bounce around between 1500 and 2 and if I give it some gas it stops, or if i let off the gas it stops. I have not noticed it does this when maintaining high speeds tho like on the freeway. Only when I'm cruising at a low constant speed under 45ish. Any ideas? Also, when i got the leak fixed i got news trans oil put in so its got the right amount of trans fluid. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Is something wrong with my Malibu trans?

Are you sure it is a trans issue?

I'd check for trouble codes, and make sure I had fresh clean gas in it.

Did it set around for awhile before you bought it?

Old gas does funny things.

Walking
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbide View Post
    Are you sure it is a trans issue?

I'd check for trouble codes, and make sure I had fresh clean gas in it.

Did it set around for awhile before you bought it?

Old gas does funny things.

No, it didnt sit the owner drove it until the day i bought it from him. When i asked him about it HE said that it was the transmission, which i also think it is because it shifts hard every now and then between 1-2 gear. But i have no clue what it could be. Of course i want it to be the cheapest thing like bad gas but i know it's not. He said it started acting funny a year ago and never got it checked out. If it's something n the trans i just want to get it fixed b4 anymore damage is done. Also, no engine light or any light is on so i was told by autozone and pepboys that a scanner wont get a code unless a light is on :/
    Last edited by AriAri92; 01-24-2017 at 04:51 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Sounds like the lockup could be phasing in and out.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Sounds like the lockup could be phasing in and out.
    Lockup? What is that? I been told everything from a bad solenoid to spark plugs to a dirty injector. I may just take it to a trans shop and see what say.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,923 Times in 4,833 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by AriAri92 View Post
    No, it didnt sit the owner drove it until the day i bought it from him. When i asked him about it HE said that it was the transmission, which i also think it is because it shifts hard every now and then between 1-2 gear. But i have no clue what it could be. Of course i want it to be the cheapest thing like bad gas but i know it's not. He said it started acting funny a year ago and never got it checked out. If it's something n the trans i just want to get it fixed b4 anymore damage is done. Also, no engine light or any light is on so i was told by autozone and pepboys that a scanner wont get a code unless a light is on :/
    I had an '08 Malibu LTZ, no transmission issues but it would shift hard from 1-2 on occasion in specific circumstances. I hated that 6 speed.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AriAri92 View Post
    Lockup? What is that? I been told everything from a bad solenoid to spark plugs to a dirty injector. I may just take it to a trans shop and see what say.
    The auto trans will lock up at a certain speed to save fuel and improve efficiency. I don't know, but the symptoms sound like that's a possibility. You need a good GP to diagnose.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks
    I took it to a trans shop today, guy said it felt like it was the lockup torque something messing with the gear shifter. But when he scanned it he got no codes so his advice...keep driving it until something gets worse so they can see what it is for sure. I'll take it somewhere else tomorrow and see what they say.

Thanks
    My Ride

^^Huh? "Keep driving until it blows up!"

And it costs bookoo plus more bookoo to fix? LOL. Like you, I'd seek another physician, that hack is either too busy or this is past his level of incompetence.

Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-26-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Banned
    Thanks
    Service the unit, drain the fluid in a clean white rag and see if you get metal or clutch material on the rag. If you do it's rebuild time, if not refill with dex VI and Lubegard Shutter Gard. Make sure not to over fill this unit they are very sensitive to fluid level and will burn up.

Thanks
    My Ride

OP, wear R U???

You can do what TheBUC suggests, or try to locate that Chibby TV ad guy and his gang of Chibby-worshipping zombies. He will get your trannie fixed for you, or give you a new car.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information